2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We offered 2021 4-star WR Ketron Jackson (6'2,186) from Kansas City
    Seems locked into Piglet for now. We will see

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  5. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Most of the posts on this topic have focused on the kids. What about the environment they find themselves in? When the coaches are evaluated, and I'm including us here, the focus is on W-L record. I don't see any posts to the effect of "Yeah, only 8-5 this year, but look how many of our seniors graduated! And what about those GPA's?!" No, focus is almost exclusively on the record. Likewise, the recruiting information. I see how many stars and I see film devoted to on-field heroics. What about their academic performance? Are we jazzed about a guy with a 4.0 GPA but only 2 stars? I think not. So, what's the coach going to do? Is he rewarded for fielding a less than stellar team with academic superstars? We like to talk about what a great school Texas is for academics, but in reality, that's not where the emphasis is with regard to football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

What you describe is an uncaring fan's problem who regards young scholarship athletes as mere pawns in the fan's own ego driven personal inadequacy neurosis. You know, the fan who thinks that because "his or her" school beat school X in an athletic competition proves "her or his" school is the "better" one and he or she is by tangential association is somehow a "better" person than "he or she" in reality is.

The only problem here is the fan, not the student athlete.

Let me drop something here that makes proud to be a UT alum. Myles Turner was a one and done player for UT and Texas did not even win a conference title with him. But when he took time aside to encourage this little girl with cancer who had been bullied by her classmates in school, he evidenced championship caring.

‘Be Kind Always’: Euless Trinity alum Myles Turner befriends young, bullied cancer patient before Pacers vs. Mavericks

If your heart is not touched, it is your loss.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I really like the sentiments laid out here by burntOrangeLH and a few others. I'd like it like that...and realize there are still student-athletes who view their choices through this lens...
    But the landscape of sports/college/pro/media/$$ has changed drastically in the last decade+....
    What seems to weigh heaviest today is just hype and attention....Alot of young kids these days want to be wherever all the hype and (positive, ego-elavating) attention is, right or wrong.
    Right now, most of the hype surrounds the SEC along with a handful other schools from various conferences (Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan, etc).
    I hate to say it....and I cant explain it....but I always get the feeling there is a national conspiracy against all things Texas...the state, the school, football, people, politics....you name it.
    An up and coming UT team gets treated waaaaay differently than an up and coming Oregon. Just look how UT was treated post UGA Sugar Bowl. Can you imagine if some other team had won that game?
    This is nothing new. Same was true when we were elite. We weren't the media darling and not what they wanted. Both then, and now, when anything is said about UT it sounds like it is coming out of my Aunt Jan's mouth.(don't ask)
    Ou (like Michigan but for different reasons) benefits from alot of attention, though it would do them...and all teams not in the sec...to start winning big games and make on the field results our true and undeniable hype machine. If you win big...consistantly...they will come.
    8-5 just isn't going to get it done on espn, twitter or whatever these kids pay attention to.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Love this kid!

People stop fighting at Popeye's when he walks in the door.

Now, to read way too much between the lines...

Chik Fil A must be code for Georgia Tech.
    Popeye's is code for LSU.
    Zaxby's is code for Georgia.
    Cookout is code for UNC.
    Bojangles is code for NC State.

Darn, looks like we're out in the cold. :rolleyes1:

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  10. BurntOrangeLH

Because Texas is where the beef is. No chicken.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

There is only one kind of chicken recognized in Texas, that is the Chicken fried steak.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BurntOrangeLH

And that is beef also. :bevo:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Couldn't agree more. I've personally thought this for a long, long time.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Same here. Note the B12 traitors decided to leave after 2008-2009 when it looked like Texas was going to dominate the national scene. Imagine if they had stayed - would have been much better for them. If Texas starts appearing in the CFP every year like OU, you can except conference realignment to stop it from happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

You forgot the chicken ranch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Were you a frequent visitor, VH? Miss Edna was somethin' else...

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Everyone at Blinn knew about the place.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Define "somethin' else"

21. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

A tough, no-nonsense woman with a big laugh...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do you remember the name of the "maid"?

23. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

I do not...do you?

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No, large black lady, very sweet, but you could tell that you didn't want on her bad side. I was the designated driver for a bunch of drunk actives at 2 AM. I sat in the parlor and she told me that they had a tour bus coming, so if I wanted a date, I should select one before the bus arrived. I thought it was BS, but sure enough I heard airbrakes outside. It was a charter from a VFW or American Legion. They were all over 65. A little man appearing to be 70+ looked at me and what I'm sure was an astonished look on my face, and said, "Son, when you get to my age and get the urge, you don't waste it".

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Did you ever "visit"?

26. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

What a great story, SH!! Yes, she was large and sweet! I just did a little Internet research and I believe her name might have been Lilly. Does that sound right to you?

27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nope, just a pledge that was sober enough to drive or was told before the party to stay sober so I could drive.

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Could have been. The house sat on 8 acres and sold or $37-38,000. The two guys that bought it were working a deal with Hugh Hefner to sell it to Playboy for $500,000. Hefner wanted to build a resort, but property wasn't big enough and he couldn't get the contiguous property. They sold the house to some guys to move it to Greenville Ave in Dallas.

Every time I drive to Austin, I laugh at what TXDOT did to the old highway at the entrance when they built the new overpass.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4-star LB Clayton Smith of Texarkana will be at the Spring Game

From Eric Nahlin

If things go as expected and numbers get tight, what happens with Clayton Smith? That’s a good question without a good answer. The Texas High (Texarkana) athlete is a pure Jack linebacker. Finding an analog is easy — just watch Joseph Ossai this season. That should be a good pitch. The only equal or better pitch in the region was at LSU when Dave Aranda was there and he’s at Baylor now. If Smith bites on that pitch what do you do with all these defensive ends you’re trending well with? While the Jack gives your scheme more versatility, I think Chris Ash prefers playing two traditional defensive ends. Recruiting Smith makes sense because: A) he projects to play the same position as your best defensive player and they should want to capitalize on that, and B) that position isn’t the hardest to find year over year. They could be recruiting on two different tracks here just to see what they come up with.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Conner, Foster, Harris Jr. and Milroe will all OV to Austin together
    Cooks had said earlier he was going to OV when Harris does, so we will see about that
    Also this might be same weekend as the Landon Jackson OV

• Like Like x 2