2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Nick Harris on Derrick Harris' view on the next commits

I talked to 2021 commit and New Caney four-star Derrick Harris on Friday and he feels super confident with a few targets right now. Names that he mentioned were Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks, Kennedale safety JD Coffey and Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem. He said that they are hoping to land some offensive linemen pretty soon and that they’ve been working with some targets in that department as well.

As highlighted in Friday’s article, 2022 Humble Atascocita four-star offensive lineman Kam Dewberry has been working with Texas offensive lineman Samuel Cosmiduring the pandemic as well as Texas A&M offensive lineman Kenyon Green. He’s been able to get the full picture of both schools from a lineman’s perspective and coincidentally, I consider these two schools to be the ones most out in front at this point. He will look to visit both schools when he is able to.

2. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Because media induced fear is exactly what's fueling the stay home, stay safe hysteria. If by facing the army of 50k, the army of 5k will win the war and only lose 100 soldiers, then retreat is neither prudent nor wise. BTW, the current "strategy" of perpetual quarantine is more akin to hiding under the covers than it is to a judicious retreat. Just sayin.

3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Or in other words the army of 5k who is retreating is really only facing an army of 3k thinking it is 50k because of bad intel.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Explosive initial burst/punch, sheds blocks well, excellent lateral pursuit, good nose for the ball, quick for a DL. It's good to take (at least) one quick and instinctive interior DL like this, and (at least) one gargantuan monster interior DL to pair him with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

It is amazing how many cannot understand the concept of a highly contagious airborne novel virus that has no known effective therapy. Just saying I am stunned so many missed this in biology and/or health classes.

Back to recruiting.

6. BurntOrangeLH

I think his athleticism at his size is quite remarkable. I very much want to see him in Burnt Orange.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Equally amazing is the massive, histrionic overreaction to said highly contagious airborne novel virus, especially since it has a mortality rate of maybe 2%. Just saying I'm stunned so many don't understand that highly contagious does not equal deadly.
    Agree with your assessment of Ike. From the film he looks like a real monster. Makes me wonder what traits the pundits see in other recruits that they have rated higher?

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

9. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Yes and it's funny that it really hasn't benefited aggy right now. Lot of these players are going to teams that are aggy's schedule. The other out of state schools like ou, Ohio St, and even Clemson are coming into our backyard and stealing our prospects. To me it's sort of a no brainer based on their recent success from a recruit's perspective. It just seems like over the last 5-10 years, our administration wasn't serious enough about taking our program to the next level (I don't want to go into the politics of it) compared to the other blue bloods. I think Herman is trying to make the most of it, but he's definitely behind the eight ball since his initial mistake was bringing in Beck, Orlando, and the others in 2016 which probably cost us at least 6 wins in a three year period. Think Herman has the right staff and personnel on the roster, but not sure what kind of ripple effect it will have with wins and recruits coming in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

How many games in the last three years can you think of where we had a safe lead to put in our back up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Which conference game over the past 3 seasons would you have given the back-up QB significant playing time?

12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

There is your problem right there.

This is not an airborne virus. It can be passed from person to person, but if it was air borne then not even hiding under your bed would protect you from it. Your only protection would be living in a bubble.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

All of them!

14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

It is an airborne virus in sneezes and coughing and singing. Everyone knows this.
    I Don't mind going out in public. I wear a mask everywhere In case I'm asymptomatic. Also i sometimes wear a bandana over my mask in a more crowded place. Perhaps I will save a few people from getting sick and dying and for my own protection. I wish everyone would do the same. This business about a mask being harmful is stupid.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

By definition, that is not airborne. That is droplet-borne. So if everyone knows it, everyone is wrong.

Airborne spread diseases include: chickenpox, tuberculosis. Droplet spread happens when germs traveling inside droplets that are coughed or sneezed from a sick person enter the eyes, nose, or mouth of another person.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

I can't think of any in 2017 (maybe KU at home) & '18, but probably Texas Tech at home last season.

17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Technically speaking it may not be airborne but since it does travel in the air then that's close of enough for me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

100,000 dead in 2 1/2 months is very deadly. Shocking how insensitive your remark is. 100,000 dead easily translates into 1,000,000 people in less than 90 days whose lives are changed forever.

And the end is not in sight.

Monstrous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BurntOrangeLH

Yup, the droplets (and pollution particles according to Italian researchers) are airborne. Nothing new there. Well, maybe for some.

20. BurntOrangeLH

More than Vietnam and Korea together, combat missions that lasted about 9+ years and 2.5 years. Not trivial.

Let us return to recruiting because even on this forum, you cannot fix ...... willful ignorance, shall we call it? I am personally hoping that whenever on the field practices and play resume, the players and staff can be protected, tested regularly with an accurate test and be kept safe. There is no reason to subject them to a pandemic for our entertainment nor the University coffers. They give enough of themselves as it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  21. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Are you shocked and chagrined? No matter, I'm truly not concerned with the ruffling of your delicate sensitivities. Newsflash: old, sick, infirm people die. Does it suck for their families (and especially for them)? Sure does, but it nonetheless remains an unavoidable fact of life. What was avoidable, however, was the gross overreaction to this latest super-flu bug. You note that due to the 100k deaths, a million people have had their lives changed forever. True enough, but have the honesty to admit that the vast majority of those folks were inevitably going to have to deal with the passing of their elderly, sick, infirm family member in the not too distant future. I know, I know, how insensitive!!!
    Now consider how many millions and millions and millions and millions of other people have had their lives forcibly changed, or ruined due to mandated shut down?
    The end is in sight, some just refuse to acknowledge it, and apparently hope this drags on infinitum, or at least until November.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  22. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Physician, heal thyself.

23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Folks: let’s get back to 2021 recruiting on this thread.

For Coronavirus talk use the thread below instead... thanks.

Coronavirus

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  25. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

looks like a B12 - SEC showdown

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I get it but it is still disappointing for a multi-generational UT family. Let us assume for the moment they eventually end up back in in the state (as many do) once they are done playing football. They will always have that taint and hear something like -- "How much did Auburn slip you under the table?" - for the rest of their lives. Is it worth it? For example, when you recall Eric Dickerson, do you think of what a great RB he was? Or do you think of what a cheater he was?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We finally offered JJ Henry

• Like Like x 2
  28. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

No one who knows the Brockermeyer kids and family would ask or think this. For one thing, they don't need the money. But mainly, they will go where they feel the strongest connection to a program that will further their football development and provide a fun, family, high quality experience.
    I think they will eventually come to UT. Don't blame them for looking at other quality programs to see what the world outside of Texas is about. Its up to Herman and crew to close the deal.

• Like Like x 4
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

True, so why risk the taint?
    If you were going to make a list of schools most likely to be sanctioned next by the NCAA for recruiting violations and 'lack of institutional control," would you put anyone other than Auburn in the top spot?
    OK, 2020 Tennessee maybe, or Oregon. Maybe. But then who?

30. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Joe, I just don't think choosing another school will "taint" them, as you say.

I will be terribly disappointed should they go anywhere other than UT. But nothing nefarious would be anywhere in my thinking about their motives. Just the rotten feeling of disappointment and the notion that Herman let some great ones get away.

I really think they are the Coaching staff's to lose. They have been Horn fans their entire lives.