2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I agree about Auburn's questionable situation. But their offense is a run first program, very creative and that might interest O linemen enough to take a second look.

2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

The thing that worries me less about Auburn is that I don't see them being as affected by the bad mouthing of their OC as other recruits have been. They are closer to the Texas program than any other kid out there. Grandpa played here, Dad played here, Mom attended here, and brother currently plays here. For this family, there are no secrets.

If they pick another school, it is a huge black eye to the program, and every school will point to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gentlemen:

I have no way of knowing or even guessing what the family will do, but I trust it will be what's best for their young men. If they choose to go to another school, there will definitely be a "taint" and lots of questions that demand answers; no "taint' for the Brockermeyer family, only best wishes. The "taint" and questions will be not directed to, but firmly plastered between Tom Herman's eyes.

1) How did YOU f**k this up?

2) Lose another legacy and Texas loses you!

3) Don't even think about filling the Brockermeyer slots with foreigners from Arizona, California, Florida, et al.

An old rule of sales, spend 65-70% of your time on your existing customers, the rest on prospects. Don't lose your base chasing a maybe.

That is obviously not part of the Mensa binder.

:hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

If the Brockemeyers commit elsewhere, undoubtedly that is a reflection on TH.
    But on the other hand a man can lead a hoss to water but he can't make him drink.
    Perhaps it would be more of a reflection on the o-line coach. Either way it's Herman's responsibility. Undoubtedly, the Brockermeyer kids have a strong feel for what's happening in the program and the direction. I don't know what they're thinking but they could be a huge factor in getting Texas back to top tier prominence. That sounds like motivation to me. They both will have opportunity due to graduation. That could be motivation to come here. Guess I really haven't said very much, just sounding off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i NEVER risk the taint

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Didnt we steal Auburn's OL coach?

• Hot Hot x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You guys are all changing the question into something you can deal with. I get it, happens every day on HF. Nonetheless, the original question remains on the table - if you are so highly ranked, as these brothers are, that you can literally pick from any one of 130 programs to attend, why would you pick a school primarily known for cheating scandals? If you don't care about your reputation, what about that of the rest of your family? And this is without taking academics into question at all.

I have a neighbor with two girls. He sent them both to Baylor within the last few years. I dont get why you would do that either.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Inside Texas on a couple players --

Terrence Cooks, LB - Alvin Shadow Creek: Cooks is the state’s top linebacker prospect and a top-15 player, maybe higher. With Morice Blackwell already in the fold, the Horns could be close to landing their most athletic pair of off-the-ball linebacker prospects in quite some time. This is a pursuit that could put Texas linebacker coach Coleman Hutzler on the map. He’s done a great job, and like Valai, we think he has a bright future. The short story: The four-star with 30+ offers from all over the nation is trending orange house. We’ve had him as a lean since he visited in January. He has an announcement set for Wednesday, where we fully expect him to drop his top schools list. UT will be represented, and if you're looking for a timeline, I don't see this stretching far into the summer. 90%.

Newest offer Ike Iwunnah, DT - Lakeview Centennial: He’s a Shemar Turner backup plan. Another looker from DFW, the 6-foot-4, 275-pounder does a little bit of everything, from collapsing the pocket to getting a push to the QB. The three-star interior defender could flourish in a four-man front. We like him as a run-stuffer with enough ball get-off to make things interesting. The District 10-6A sophomore of the year in 2018 also participates in triple jump and throws the discus. Not bad for a 275-pound dude.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Former commit TE Lake Lake McRee is getting some CBs to USC, which is where both Orlando and Naviar are now
    They already have committed native Texans Quaydarius Davis and Brandon Campbell, plus some other guys we offered like QB Jake Garcia and Julien Simon

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He is on the small side but I like his tape, not sure why we waited so long

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wiltfong

[​IMG]

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wiltfong on Miami wanting Milroe

... With Davis and Nussmeier off the board, he can put all his energy into trying to flip his final top target in Jalen Milroe from the Texas Longhorns.

Milroe has been a pledge to Texas since July of 2019, but as we documented in the April update, he had high interest in Alabama early in the process and Nick Saban and his staff continue to lurk there after they saw their first quarterback commit in this class in Drake Maye flip to North Carolina. It’s been a tough month in general for the Hurricanes at the position as four-star signal-caller Aaron McLaughlin committed to NC State on May 14. At this point if Miami doesn’t land Milroe, it’s unclear where the ACC program goes for its signal-caller.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

I remember in 1982 SMU was known as the best college football team that money could buy.

No one has ever said that about Texas. Hopefully never will.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BurntOrangeLH

I just do not think Milroe is the kind of young man who is not conscious of what his path forward is. He is not going to be recruiting for Texas one day then switching the teams next. I would assume Miami is just burning donuts in the parking lot because they can. They think that is kewl with the kids.

15. BurntOrangeLH

I cannot think of any NFL OL from Auburn. But I do not pay much attention to NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BurntOrangeLH

Maybe Auburn is just a red herring? Makes more sense to me.

I think LSU and 'Bama are out also because their Dad probably does not want his two sons to be less educated than he is. He also knows with an unshakable certainty that life continues after football as a participatory sport is finished.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

The CEO of Apple Tim Cook is an Auburn graduate.

18. BurntOrangeLH

Under deep cover, I presume. But that certainly explains Apple's performance after Jobs left.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I'm not familiar with the history of Jobs and Apple but did a little research. The second article I read published in "Forbes" makes it undeniably clear Cook was Jobs hand-picked successor. So he's got that going for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BurntOrangeLH

21. BurntOrangeLH

Investors look at stock performance over designated heirs. Jobs understood the design and marketing of consumer tech products. Wozniak was the hands on implementer, and coincidentally along with his wife perhaps the USA's COVID-19 Patient 0.

Jobs and Wozniak founded Apple.

22. BurntOrangeLH

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He says they loved attending the Iron Bowl, called it the most fun game he ever saw.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think Auburn replaced Hand with a coach with a lot of NFL time on his resume. It's attractive to recruits. We may eventually have to go this route too.

25. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I suspect if they chose Auburn it will probably be for the very "good" reason many of us chose our school: a particular coed. Anyway not sure why this is such a big deal, Barry Sanders son did not chose OSU out of high school. I think Emmit Smith's son is at Stanford. I never considered my parents university. It happens.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is not like your cousin from Beaumont going to Ole Miss. This is a big deal in recruiting, and this is the recruiting thread after all. And it's a big deal for the perception of the program overall. With the Brocks, it is not just that their father played for Texas but that he had a successful NFL career (7 years as a starter), plus their grandfather played for Texas, plus their mother is a UT grad. And they dont want to send their kids to Texas now? Ouch

Furthermore, 2021 is a terrific in-state class of OLs, the type that comes around only once in a decade or so. Four 4 OLs in the top 10 in state who are all top 5 at their positions nationally plus a 5th player, James, who is the top center. Texas has the #1 OT, the #1 OG and the #1 C in all of the US. In fact, this OL class is so deep that we have the #1 and #6 OTs nationally plus the #1 and #4 OGs nationally. How often have you seen something like this happen? Like never

And despite starting off great with all of them, we are now whiffing or close to whiffing on every single one of them. On top of all that, not securing a commitment from the Brocks early has hurt the rest of our 2021 class to date. Possibly even leaking into the 2022 class. It is certainly being used against us, by the usual suspects.

So, back to your question, it's a big deal because you are not looking at it in the proper context. Seen in that proper context, it's a very big deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Damn, you just ruined my day. :whiteflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I am not a very good writer. For me, yes it is a big deal to lose great recruits. But I am not going to crucify any coach for losing a particular recruit just because he parents went to that school.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

:shrug:

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Whether rightly or wrongly, losing the Brocks will be all on Herman. Or Herman and his handpicked OL coach if you prefer.

• Agree Agree x 1