2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I am taking a leave of absence from recruiting until we see how our school and AD respond to the attempted extortion. Someone else can take over.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

We are Texas and we are capable of change let's make a new tradition. Right!

But first let’s get the PC police to scrub ideas. The Aggie 12th man was almost certainly white, the Alabama elephant surely offends fat people, LSU defense are sometimes called Chinese Bandits, OU are just outright, unabashed cheaters. Hell, I even saw a cult piece that the ‘hook ‘em sign (that the other half of the world thinks is cute-in absence of anything of their own)is a potential satanic ritual sign.

Let’s just get a new tradition! I have an idea. Let’s make a new tradition out of spending pleasant fall Saturdays doing something productive and stay away from congregating in race-hating screaming mobs just a few steps away from another very disappointing outcome. I’m with Joe Fan. Somebody else fret about recruiting. Hell, half won’t want to play for fear of ending their promising pro career by an injury. Which, in case you haven’t been watching, is doing it’s own version of imploding due to overestimating its importance. Guess what gang, the rad left would put an end to all athletics if given a chance. And on day one. Think the ‘CHOP’ occupiers are season ticket holders of anything? Some place one has to care enough about something to stand up for themselves. Or not. Take a walk at the bird center October second Saturday.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Pompoms I’m genuinely curious as to what could be more meaningful than the words the eyes of a State are upon you to confer/infer your own importance and meaning in a significant manner? I mean alter “you cannot escape them” if that is offensive but the ‘eyes upon’ just seems so apropos. But then I’ve only been singing it for ummm 65 years so I’m definitely a bit biased towards it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Don’t blame you JF. I’ve been in fear of coming on this site and seeing something very scary. So I’ve been avoiding it altogether.

5. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Read this excellently researched article by Wescott Eberts at BON then please come back and comment.

The case against singing "The Eyes of Texas"

6. BurntOrangeLH

Joe appreciate what you do here.

However, I think if you reflect upon it, you will realize it is the black player's human integrity which has been held hostage in society and at UT. Imagine that you are returning war era POW and while you walk around you notice that there are statues of your captors and their leaders all around and public buildings and monuments named after them. Hitler Hall, anybody? Imagine that you are disparaged and condemned for surviving like our President Trump did John McCain. How would you fell?

It is time to walk that mile in another man's shoes and see the world through his eyes. This sustained racism should have been solved in our youth. It obviously was not. It is time for the members of the dominant culture to perform a little self examination and hopefully eradicate any residual discrimination based on race from their lives. As was said when we were young and idealistic, either one is part of the solution or part of the problem. If one chooses to be part of the problem, one needs to pull over because the train for progress isn't stopping. It is time to be one multi-faceted and multi-cultural society rather than a fractured into segments society that some in power prefer. United, we the American people as a nation are stronger because we are more inclusive. Separated and divided, we are just a disparate and fragmented society crippling itself. I prefer to be part of a stronger America.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BurntOrangeLH

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Players perspective:
    The game should be fun for the players.
    They are the ones who sweat and bleed, get up early, beat each other up, then hang out with each other. There is a cameraderie(?). Band of brothers.
    So when some members of the team are offended by the school song for perceived racist overtones or shaky beginnings they will all stick together as they should.
    Now the whole team may go into the locker room together without singing the song but that just seems to me to create a bad atmosphere. So I think that song is going to change going to be changed. Personally I hate to see it changed because it's a revered song for so long a wonderful tradition loved by millions.
    I also think that this change is coming due to recruiting efforts from other schools to " mess withTexas". It's a shame that we have to aquiesce to the influences of other schools to change a time-honored tradition here at Texas
    Score one for the bad guys. But let's lick our wounds and start over.:facepalm:

9. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Well said burnto!

10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

It doesn't matter what I think!
    I don't want to lose good players and recruiting is hard enough already. This beloved song is a lethal weapon in the hands of our opponents.
    And that's sad.
    Admittedly I am a little selfish. I don't want us Fielding weak teams.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  11. BurntOrangeLH

Hey, I thought until a couple of days ago that the Eyes of Texas was an inspirational affirming song that was beget in a parody. Once one understands the sinister etymology of the song and its immediate predecessor, I will not be singing it anymore because I in particular do not want to offend my fellow black citizens nor the black students of UT. I will miss it surely but we are Texas and we can do better.

It is past time to step up and quite whining about change that should have occurred over a century ago. Texas is bigger than the civil war, and although a native Texan by birth and thus an admirer of Southern traditions, slavery was not one of them of which to be proud. Time to heal and to quit pouring salt into old unhealed wounds. Time to be one nation again with one people of many different heritages. There is no other way forward.

12. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Great news on Ibraheem and Coffey! :hookem2::hookem2:

13. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

LOL at burnt orange and poms. both you guys are exceptionally full of it today.

• poop poop x 1
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

I heard there’s a thread on the on the field forum about the Brennan Eagles tweet. Why not keep it in one place? I come to the recruiting board to hopefully hear something positive, which happened today in a big way. Those guys have outstanding offer lists. Biggest recruiting day of the year so far.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Sure would be nice to keep all threads on this board relative to 'RECRUITING'

Most of other stuff being posted is useless and will accomplish nothing to tone down all the current divisive issues !!

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Football players at UT are treated much better than the average student. They are getting a FREE education and degree from one of the best state unis in the entire world to which, but for athletics, they could probably not otherwise gain admission. The word hostage implies that they are in Austin against their will. Is that what is happening to UT football players? Are they hostages? Or, are they pampered mini-celebrities?

Does anyone even know the cost of a 4-year degree from UT now?
    Take that and then add in all the other perks we give our scholarship athlete hostages over 4 to 5-years. Be sure to include housing (has to be nice, no budget accommodations for our hostages), food (made by chefs), books, tutors, doctors on call, massage therapists, specialized coaching in your field and individualized weight training in a world class gym. Be sure to remember to include 4-5 years (sometimes 6!) of hand made protein shakes and/or smoothies on demand (as the perks go, I would personally love this one most. That and the on-call-masseuse! - what are just these 2 items worth over 4 years?).
    I am willing to bet that if you add it all up, at cost, the total easily exceeds $1M. Per player. Errrrr, PER HOSTAGE.
    Someone want to prove my number wrong? If so, then let us see your spreadsheet.

I will agree with you that there is some hostage-taking going on right now, but its CFB fans who are now the hostages.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

19. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Well said

20. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Thanks Joe!!

21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The argument is not about making America stronger versus not. It's how we go about it.

Recruiting will be very interesting in the coming months for sure.

22. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

WBAP 820AM discussing UT racial issue including statues, building names, and the EYES school song right now on the Chris Salcedo show.

23. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

Dallas Radio

24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Lol, maybe they will go to Aggy, Bama, Ole Miss, Georgia, OU.....wait, there's not a racist free university out the according to the new standards put forth. Will these guys just decide to not play? Where will they go that makes them feel "not offended"? I've asked this question a couple times and no one has answered. It would be pretty dang easy for us to pick apart and negative recruit any university out there. This overly sensitive BS has to stop.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So this question still looms
    Let us say that you were sending a child to UT, and the kid got in honestly on his or her own merit. You wanted your child to have everything the football players have.
    But no aide or scholarship money is available either of you
    All costs are to be borne by you alone

What is the out of pocket dollar figure to you for --
    -- 4 years of tuition, books and all other related 'fees'
    -- 4 years rent in a nice place
    -- 4 years of good food (no .99 cent Saigon egg rolls)
    -- 4 years of academic tutoring
    -- 4 years of physical/strength training from an accredited trainer
    -- 4 years of (my favorite) daily protein shakes and or smoothies
    -- 4 years of 'deep tissue massage' as needed
    -- 4 years of top level medical care
    How much?

*I did the math on the smoothies using what I pay at Smoothie King. The cost for this alone was over $10,000
    The av cost of 'massage therapist' in 2020 is $100. If we assume 5 a week for 4 years, the total comes to $104,000
    2020 Average Massage Therapist Cost (with Price Factors)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  26. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Don't forget apparel. Free clothes and shoes - top of the line stuff. Players also get very sweet gift packages for bowl game appearances.

Also marketing for your goal career. The school spends lots of time and effort to promote players for the draft. Players that don't get drafted are usually give very substantial career guidance and help. When I graduated from Texas getting a job was all on me.

27. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

During my time at UT the University derived no revenue from my presence and I did not put my long term physical well being on the line on behalf of the University other than drinking too much I suppose. I also was not black and dont understand what that is like at a University with clear racial issues historically and present day. I am ok to listen and learn and have empathy for experiences different than my own. And yes, athletes get a very valuable education and amazing support in exchange for their physical contributions. As they should.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. BurntOrangeLH

This is very disappointing because it is so largely untrue. All scholarship (there are more academic scholarships than athletic, you know?) have it easier than a normal working class student. But the white ones do not have to see former oppressors exalted with statues and building named by them.

Furthermore, scholarship students do not get "FREE" degrees handed to them. They each must meet performance criteria as a condition of that scholarship.

Free will is not the contention nor the issue. Basically you are saying, "You wanna be here boy you gotsa conform to massa's expectatiosa." It is about racial equality and a non-oppressive atmosphere. You are espousing the Gundian quip of "Get out there and play boys so we can get us some more revenue."

It is disappointing not only that you have this condescending attitude tinged with jealousy "mini-celebrities?" but that you are proud of it and advocate for its imposition. But your true colors are on full display and they are not red, white and blue.

Yeah, no other school has tutors, study halls, medical staffs, libraries and they are all hostage to their athletes like say Stanford, USC, ND, etc. This is weak as hell argument and patently untrue and you know it.

Your Gundian argument is the same as most of the white "I am no racist" fans here who want everything to go back to how it was formerly so those young black athletes can entertain you on fall Saturdays then begone from your society forever. I mean after all, why treat them like real people when they toy with your privileged entertainment? Oh, the unbearable agony!

Joe, you and the people who think like you and desperately hold onto the privileges of the favored racial class are what this problem is about. While this will be solved by us as a unified egalitarian society, perhaps there will be a good badminton tournament nearby to palliate the pain of your loss of your entertainment privileges. I wish you well.

• Like Like x 1
  29. BurntOrangeLH

Just such a pathetic and irrelevant argument. Free shoes? Really?

Can we not trivialize this some more? Jeez!

Just cannot see the mountain behind the anthill.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's not an argument
    It's a question
    How much?
    Why are you afraid to answer?