2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Okay, in a nutshell what is it you don't like about Herman?... serious inquiry

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If you are referring to me, I’m willing to give him 2 more years to get to 10 wins. I was piling on in the last post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Confused me too, but I imagine it’s the perception of him getting on his high horse about the recent protests. I agree that he handled it poorly but don’t think it’s worth firing him. Lots of extreme opinions in my opinion are coming from boredom from lockdowns and no sports. And attention seeking

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

I'm curious to know how why you think he handled the protests poorly when most people I have heard think he has managed the whole situation exceptionally well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I guess I need to look over Herman's quotes. Maybe he sided with the players in their list of demands in some way. I can't blame him for that if that is true. He has to have player's allegiance even if it risks fan allegiance.

6. Omniscient.one

I thought he threw gasoline on a fire that was already burning well enough by itself. I think if he hadn’t, at the very least some of the more extreme demands wouldn’t have been made. I don’t disagree with what he said, just the fact that he felt a need to say the obvious and incite his players even more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I have a few issues with Tom Herman, but they are minor in my opinion.

1. This is one I don't consider minor. Herman is immature. For some reason he seems to think he can do stuff like give the bird on TV, mock opposing players, getting off the bus with a baseball bat etc. Seriously he needs to grow up and act like he belongs at the big boy table.

2. Quit trying to be a tough guy, running after a coach like he is going to start something. It's just silly and does nothing but make him look foolish. Then there are all those silly things like swinging the sledge hammer and almost falling over. It's killing his perception as someone to take serious.

3. Quit with the death camps. He seems to think he is Bear Bryant and his players are the Junction Boys. I think this has a lot to do with why we have so many injuries 2 of the last 3 years.

Dude is a smart guy, he can be a great coach he needs to pull his head out and act like a coach and not a GA.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Austin Bill,
    I agree with just about everything you said.

Except this: I think some of the things you mentioned are pretty serious--not minor. And I think they are related to the strange erratic play--losing games we should win for instance; and the recruiting that is just a bit disappointing on occasion.

:bevo:

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  9. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for your insight guys. Herman is a bit rough around the edges. So is Saban but he but he wins championships. Herman tries hard. I think Herman hamstrung himself with former coaches. I, for one, can't wait to see what happens with the new coaches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Think you broke a record w the "agrees" there, Cary.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  11. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Uhhh... Calling out fans and community and implying they are racist is roughly 140 points below Mensa level "thinking" I'd say

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

I have been a longhorn fan for over 50 years so whether he stays or goes, i am still here. Now on the issue of Herman, I hate to see us late to the game over and over with in state recruits. Obviously there has been a change following the end of last year and we are offering earlier. Hoping it helps. I think if the coaches do what most of us hope that will solve some of the recruiting frustration with in state recruits. Agree that Herman is childish in some of his responses but we are much better off than with Charlie. I will hate to see us lose the Brokermeyer twins so lets hope that doesnt happen. Seems like our O-line play has gotten better over the last 2 years. I presume everyone would love to see the same D show up this year that played against Utah and also wonder where it was last year before the bowl game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^There is a lot of love for the Brockermeyer family among the Longhorn Family. And it’s reciprocal. For multiple generations the Brockermeyers have loved the Forty Acres. Including the youngsters of note.
    So if they don’t come here Herman will some explaining to do...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

15. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Why is there so much negative criticism regarding TH recruiting the Brockermeyer twins....what did he do to turn them off?

Maybe it was something or someone else!!!

Maybe someone really 'knows' the inside reasoning?

16. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Maybe it is a bunch of BS and we should wait until after NSD before we criticize this class.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I have always maintained that some schools really do a good job of negative recruiting against us. But I think this is our year, I really do. And the two coordinators are going to be a big improvement. So I think we are going to swing a couple of recruits back to us. Finishing 4,5, or 6 in recruiting is good. I'm hoping we get a couple more hosses on the o-line.

• Like Like x 1
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes, there is something to what you say. The hand wringing in Horn land is because of the CB's on 247 that put the Brock's at Bama.

CB's can be wrong. I'm holding out hope till NSD. Or until I hear the words from the young men themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Mack Brown can recruit well anywhere he goes. UNC is in the top 5.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Its unfortunate that Mack Brown had a mental breakdown at Texas after he lost to Alabama in 2009. I still believe if Colt doesnt get hurt we win that game but thats water under the bridge. Yes Mack can recruit and he is a sincere guy by all accounts. He is doing the same thing there that he did here, keeping top talent in state and getting a few out of state. NC has talent just like everyone saw before he came here and they may be formidable agains Clemson and Free shoes next year. Not sorry he is gone, just wish he could have held it together at Texas!!

• Like Like x 2
  21. Omniscient.one

He’s got one part of recruiting down: focus on in-state. He’s got the #3 class with all NC kids minus one or two. Imagine getting all the best Texas players, or wait, that’s what happened with the classes leading up to our NC appearances. Good ol days.

EDIT: Mack closing in on #7 recruit nationally. Bring Mack back? Make for a great story at the very least

22. everette

everette 250+ Posts

Imagine the NC fans if we stole him again!

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

It has been burning the last 155 years.

Suppressing it has not worked. Coming together will.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

That is only your feeble conclusion. The Brockermyers are not worried about the CB position on any team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

CB = crystal ball

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

My "feeble conclusion?" You are one pompous dude.

This is the recruiting thread, and when CBs & 247 are mentioned in the context I mentioned above, it refers to Crystal Ball predictions by recruiting experts on the 247 sports website.

Note SabreHorn's explanation above.

You're reference was totally mistaken. The so called conclusion was no conclusion at all. I made no conclusion.

I made an observation noting the recruiting experts CB's on 247, and the concerns that have been expressed on this thread about the recruitment of the Brockermeyer twins.

I hope this helps you understand what these posts have been about. I tried to simplify it to help you get up to speed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

And there you go... you made no conclusion except that CB's can be wrong which is an apt conclusion or statement of fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

@caryhorn, if you even appear to be criticizing the team, coaches, recruiting, water boys, anyone associated with The University of Texas at Austin Longhorns in any way, shape, or form, that guy will make some ****** comment like that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Mack had very few peers in recruiting. His game day coaching was a different story. To be fair, some of that falls on his coordinators. I think we would have won the NC with Colt if he had decent blocking in front of him and just a little time to throw, which he didn’t.

30. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Problem with Herman.
    #1: Constantly tells his player "nobody matters but the people in this locker room" Then he turns around and casts the fanbase as racist ..that "they don't care about the players aside from INTs and touchdowns ,etc"....Double standard much ???
    ( I have to ask..Do the players give a damn about the fans other than wanting them to cheer for 90 minutes ???? )
    #2: Stubborn and attitude ( you've seen enough to know what I mean.)
    #3: Game time decisions ( You've seen enough......)
    #4: Handled the Floyd killing poorly compared to other coaches across the country. ( obvious when comparing what is happening at UT vs other universities )
    #5: Hasn't educated his players about the BLM organization, as it is not about black lives, but about marxist ********.
    #6: Hasn't educated himself or his players about statistics on cop killings etc involving cops vs Whites, and cops vs Blacks.
    #7: Educating players on respecting authority vs playing the victim. ( obvious from his attitude and comments on the subject of race relations with cops ,etc...
    Why I feel this way:
    My son ,while attending UT, had a run-in with an A-hole cop who pulled a gun on him for no damn reason on a traffic stop involving a speeding ticket. My son is WHITE and very religious and well mannered, #3 in his HS class, etc, etc...Raised to obey rules etc...Played football. baseball, and sang in the HS choir. He followed the A-hole cop's directives and lived. I then called the cop's superiors and had it out with them.
    My son also dated a black girl for a VERY short while...SHE broke it off because she was shamed by her BLACK FRIENDS for dating a "WHITE BOY"....Bigotry and racism goes BOTH WAYS !!!.
    So yes I am really pissed at Herman for his handling of the Floyd case and his racist remarks about the fanbase ( of which my family was among those attending games ). That comment he made "would they let their daugher date a black player" ******** really pissed me off...Would the basketball and volleyball girls' friends and family let them date a WHITE BOY ????
    So Tom Herman can take his California liberal *** to UCLA, etc....
    Sorry to rant, but his ******** hit close to home. I want him gone if he doesn't apologize to our fanbase !!!!!

• poop poop x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1