2021 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Mar 15, 2018.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Might see a few more offers go out today ahead of the recruiting shutdown.
    • May 4-10, 2020: Recruiting shutdown, during this time, no forms of recruiting are permitted, including contact with college coaches, evaluations, unofficial or official visits, correspondence, and making or receiving phone calls

• Like Like x 2
  2. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Hall is definitely a take. Definitely a defensive presence and nice two point game. Will need to work on BTA game. I LOVE her left hand and her court vision. Schaefer does seem to like this type 2 and 3 guards. I think he loves the small point guards like those he has had recently and in the future with Harmon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

It’ll be interesting to see what Vic does with Harmon, because at Mississippi State, it seemed his point guards were told: “Protect the ball, don’t turn it over, run the offense, don’t shoot threes, and your job isn’t to score.”

Harmon is a dynamic scorer as well as playmaker, so he might have to alter his philosophy a little bit. She is going to thrive. Jackson-Durrett will be a very good mentor.

4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I guess I need to rewatch his team when they beat UCONN in semi’s. I thought his little point guard who hit the winning shot was given a LOT of freedom to score. Maybe not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

She was.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

In the seven years I followed Schaefer's teams at Mississippi State, I don't recall ever seeing a player that I thought was under utilized. In fact, what I saw was quite the opposite. I don't know every player he had there nor do I know EVERYTHING, but the ones I saw come in and play for him were a lot better by the time they graduated and left.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I just don't agree with that at all. Morgan Williams scored 41 points in the NCCA tourney against Baylor. I think Coach Schaefer plays to the strengths of his players. Because Harmon is such a prolific scorer, he won't have to alter his philosophy because he finds very creative ways to feed the hot hand, AND put those with scoring ability in the best position to take advantage of their skillset....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Not underutilized, just not asked to score. His PG is often the 5th or 6th highest scorer on the team, and probably has been the past three seasons.

Morgan William could light it up and score from all over the floor, but that wasn’t his goal for her, which is why her PPG was the lowest in her career her senior year.

He moved a 5-7 PG to SG because she wanted to score this season.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We'll see... I'm confident in the new staff's abilities to get the most out of the skill sets that each of his players bring.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Curious as to how you would know this information.
    :e-thinking:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Aaliyah named to All-World team...chosen by the Tulsa World newspaper. Her high school was also ranked #4 in Oklahoma by the publication - pretty impressive considering this was the 1st time in 22 years her HS got into the state playoffs.

Height: 6-3
    Average points per game: 19.7

Averaged 19.7 points, 9.2 rebounds and shot 58% as a junior, leading Lions to their first state tournament berth in 22 years. Gatorade state player of the year. Rated seventh nationally in upcoming senior class by ESPN. Started every game for USA Basketball’s U16 FIBA Americas 2019 gold medal team. Career totals: 73 games, 1,274 points, 698 rebounds, 102 assists, 91 blocked shots.
    College: Committed to Texas

4. Moore (6A, 21-5):
    Led by nationally ranked junior Aaliyah Moore and senior guard Ashanti Day, won 15 of its final 17 games and qualified for state for the first time in 22 years. Won the John Nobles Invitational and lost in overtime to Booker T. Washington in a monumental Tournament of Champions final.

• Like Like x 6
  12. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I am with you, as are the #'s. Morgan William finished 9th in all time scoring at MSU with over 1,400 points. That is impressive in its own right, not to mention when you give it the the context of playing with Vivians and McCowan. Vic asked her to do a lot of the scoring on many a night.

If you'd like to hear his thoughts and anecdotes for yourself, you can look at the MSU Youtube channel as they did some really great all access/behind the scenes looks during their two final 4 runs

• Winner Winner x 3
  13. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Just read in this mornings AAS that Paige Bradley decommitted. Who knew? :smile1:

Such is the reason I place great value in this website and appreciate all of you intrepid reporters who sleuth out much of this valuable info.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

TexasWBB twitter account started following Aubryanna Hall today. We'll see if that's another good indicator of an upcoming verbal commitment . . .

• Like Like x 9
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

16. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

This decommit was probably mutual. She was one of Karen's recruits, and probably didn't fit the mold of a Vic recruit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I guess my poor attempt at sarcasm backfired on me. I do appreciate you folks who dig up a lot of this info.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, and not to mention she was a 3-Star recruit out of HS that Coach Vic and his MSU staff DEVELOPED into a giant killer at the highest level. Just ask Baylor and UConn. :yes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I remember two things about her:
    1) feelgood story of the 2017 tournament
    Morgan ‘Itty Bitty’ William is adjusting to life after The Shot that rocked UConn
    2) but for the final game, she was benched in the 4th quarter when they were down and needing points
    https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.co...our-hero-morgan-william-hard-figure/99966568/

• Like Like x 1
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Yeah...Dawn Staley had Bianca Cuevas-Moore on Morgan William playing intense ball-denial defense in that NC game. Cuevas-Moore played almost 30 minutes and only scored 5 points but her defense of William and the overall play of A'ja Wilson decided that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Yes...and I see Itty Bitty was not drafted. Most championship teams are composed of one or two elite skill players and several blue-collar, lunchpail types like Williams who know their role and exceed expectations based on their inner character.

But it takes the right coaching staff to both value and evaluate those strengths in recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  23. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
  24. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Need to represent in the comments! Hail State fans are hitting it hard.

• Like Like x 2
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

My rule is never tweet at recruits - I don’t even follow them unless they commit to Texas. Seems creepy (to me) and I doubt it has any real impact long term.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

100% agree

• Like Like x 1
  27. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Also as a best practice, if you're a donor/booster (even if you only have season tickets and your ticket requires a seat gift, that counts as a donation) you should never tweet, post or comment to a potential recruit until they sign and NLI.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

This.

29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Just a name to throw out...Harsimran Kaur, 6’ 3” PF/Stretch 4 from Punjab, India. Her father played basketball for the Indian national team, her mother was on the national volleyball squad. At 16, she was the first non-Australian selected from the NBA
    Academies' Women's Programme to attend NBA Global Academy. She was one of four Indian girls competing against top US junior players in the NCAA Women’s Final 4 Next Generation camp in Tampa and also attended Basketball Without Borders camps in Tokyo and Chicago. I have no idea if she’s even on the Longhorns’ radar - India is not known as hotspot for international basketball recruits. She certainly seems serious about improving her game/competing against the best. In the interview I heard, she wants to study mathematics and economics at a top university while playing basketball. Not the best video quality but she does stand out...

• Like Like x 1
  30. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

She has skills but I don't think she is the type of player Vic targets. Johnnie Harris said he hardly offers scholarships & if he does it's to players who fit his system & he believes he has a real chance of getting & I don't think she fits the mold of the type of player Vic Schaefer targets. She is also in the 2021 class so our roster is already full that year so I think the only other player he has offered in the 2021 class is Aubryanna Hall and I am sure it will be his last offer unless he anticipates some transfers happening after this season.