2021 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Missed this from a few days ago. I couldn't get it to play on Spotify, so hope you all have better luck.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Maryam Dauda from Arkansas committed to Baylor. Really hoped we'd get in on her.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Headed to the wrong side of the Red River (sooner). Not sure if she was ever recruited heavily by Karen other than the camp visit but probably safe to say it was going to be all Aaliyah at 2021 SF for Vic and co.

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think several of us expected her to land at Arkansas. Never a fan of baylor landing anyone but this definitely stings Neighbors more than Vic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I find this to be quite the shock. I would've bet on Arkansas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Interview with Rori Harmon. Seems Aaliyah had a lot of coverage right after her commitment but this is the first one I can remember for Rori.

• Like Like x 8
  7. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I watched a few of her interviews. Seems to be a recurring theme of "me" in there. Just wondering how she will adjust to an environment where there are equally talented players.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2021 scholarships are already tight (currently none) but a player that was offered by Vic at MSU and Karen at Texas..

9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I saw a previous video on her saying she wanted to go somewhere and be able to play right away. That's why I figured Arkansas was a good fit for her. Quite the awakening waiting for her in Waco.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

She wants immediate playing time but chooses the school where there bigs are the most skilled position and also have the most depth. Like you said she is going to be very shocked but "to each is own."

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Someone posted on the UConn board that Bree Hall posted on her Instagram stories that she is verbally committing tomorrow afternoon @ 3:00 ET. I wouldn't think it's going to be us as we (Texas) were late with our offer compared to her other finalists, although our new coaching staff has a relationship with her. Plus, she hasn't visited Texas. I'm guessing either Kentucky or South Carolina.

I could not find anything on her IG account, but I'm not really fluent in Instagram.

Bree Hall (@breezyhall) • Instagram photos and videos

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jacob Johnson

I think it will be South Carolina. I don't know if anyone has been looking on twitter but Dawn Staley has been posting birds and saying "another one has landed in the nest" over the past couple weeks and it has been 4 times meaning she has been told by 4 players they are committed. I think Hall is one of those 4 and another one I think will be Saniya Rivers. We shall see tomorrow I guess but I am about 60% sure Hall will end up in South Carolina.

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Bree Hall did commit to South Carolina yesterday.

So, do we have any outstanding offers to 2021 recruits who are not already verbally committed elsewhere? I don't think the new coaching staff extended any new offers (other than Hall), and I don't think they reaffirmed any existing offers extended by the prior coaching staff.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

There were a couple of players that had Mississippi State in their finalists before Vic left but also happen to play the same positions Texas has already gotten commitments from in the 2021 class: PG Raven Johnson and W/F Teonni Key. I doubt it means much but Azzi Fudd did take an unofficial visit to Austin and, if she is really interested in Texas, hard to see Vic not continuing to recruit her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For sure, Fudd is a take. But, IMO, I think she's a longshot (for so many different reasons). Glad she's visited Texas in the past (as visits are still on hold for everyone); but, unless she has a prior relationship with our new coaching staff, she will be a tough pull.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Jacob Johnson

Agreed. I think she is a lock for uconn so it will be a long shot. I think our roster is pretty much on lock for the next two years. I don't know if Vic will look for another guard because I do think Rori Harmon will start immediately. I still think she is very underrated even though she is ranked #20. Reminds me alot of Chennedy Carter coming out of high school .

17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I think Harmon is the only recruit for 2021 at PG. Unless Chevalier shows this next year she is not going to be a rotation PG. For sure, a PG will be required in 2022.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Coach Lovato started following Alyssa Brown of Tucson, Arizona on twitter, as well the twitter account of her club team, AZSupremeHoops. I don't know much about her yet, other than her twitter indicates offers from schools like Colorado, Houston, New Mexico State, Tulsa, UTEP, UNLV, and UCSB.

Found an article that indicates she is on the ESPN Top 100 (#66 as a 6'1 Forward); perhaps our coaching staff will target her since Bree Hall committed to South Carolina.

ESPN puts 3 Arizona players in Class of 2021 Top 100 high school girls basketball rankings

2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Alyssa Brown was named the Arizona Gatorade Player of the Year. I gotta say, her scoring numbers, other stats, recruiting rankings, and awards don't align with her offer list. Perhaps she is an undersized post player, but not sure. Perhaps there are some academic issues/concerns, but I'm just speculating. EDIT: She is being followed by Princeton and Columbia coaches on twitter , so definitely not any academic issues.

Sahuaro's Alyssa Brown named Arizona Gatorade Player of the Year

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Might not mean anything as it pertains to Texas women's hoops, but Alyssa Brown also started following 2020 Texas signee, RB Bijan Robinson

• Like Like x 3
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  23. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I may be wrong, I lost my inside contact when the former coaching staff left, but I don't get the Alyssa Brown thing. This could be a backup plan if Aubryanna Hall sticks with SC. I suspect Brown is a Coach Vic type player from an attitude standpoint, and he places great value on that, but not convinced she has the quickness and bball skills of the elites. At Texas I think he can have both.

Thanks for the in-depth reporting, Mooooo.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  24. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Look at Me...I'm quoting my own posts. I think I finally get it - as it relates to the forward position. Despite what the staff must say, that the 2000/2021 team will produce a championship, nothing can change the fact that Texas is handicapped by the existing roster. Like it or not, every Aston player has a question mark on their jersey.

Then when I look at the 2021/2022 roster, I can confidently point to only three players that have shown they are Coach Vic types. Collier, Warren and Taylor. Add in transfer Ebo and late pickup Gaston. We can hope the other Aston 2020 recruits turn out well, but we need to see it in the flesh. I am still haunted by the memory that I thought Rellah Boothe would be a transformational player for the program. A clear case of wishing getting the better of reason.

That adds up to a grand total of one program-fit forward, Gaston. We are razor thin at the position, so Moore and perhaps Alyssa Brown are the answer there for 2021. I'll really be pulling for Elyssa Coleman this year to show she belongs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

2021 Team recruiting rankings:

• Like Like x 6
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Former Longhorn and current Westlake assistant coach Bre Taylor getting some work in with the 2021 commits. Encouraging that these types of clinics are still able to draw elite players in light of the current situation - shows a real level of commitment to development. Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

• Like Like x 4
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Aaliyah.

• Like Like x 6
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Rori and Aaliyah working on screening action together at the camp this past weekend. Can’t wait to see them do it in burnt orange.

• Like Like x 7
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

ProspectsNation blurb on Aaliyah from this past weekend's camp:

Simply put, Moore was the leader of the pack both with her actions and her energy. She was active in every drill no matter how big or small the buildup was. Moore allowed herself to be a willing student for two days. As a result, the future Texas Longhorn emerged showing that she can do more than just post to score and rebound. Moore’s skill set allowed her to be a pick and pop kid for the 3-pointer in ball screen action in addition to an elite level roller. She also made multiple second cuts to the paint after the ball was pitched to the off side. Moore’s versatility makes her a potential star.

• Like Like x 9
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Asst. Coach Johnnie Harris just started following Rori Harmon's teammate, Kyndall Hunter on twitter. Might not mean anything necessarily, but you never know. We'll see if Kyndall starts following Johnnie or any of our other coaches, or vice verse.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020