2021 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Mar 15, 2018.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I watched the first period of Casper vs Northeastern Co. game linked by JJ just to validate my previous opinion of Kobe. Kobe looked the same. She’s an excellent but high volume shooter, with a good handle, good but risky passer, stands out with her skills, and is a matador defender. A coach WILL find a place on the court for someone with offensive skills like that. Make no mistake,.....her current defensive style and effort won’t pass muster with Schaefer. I am positive both know that. The level and style of JUCO basketball doesn’t require or demand it. Whereas I am positive our two other high school guards will come in ready to immediately make a defensive impact as freshmen, it will be an indeterminable transition period for Kobe. She has offensive skills that will play B12 now, it all depends on how quickly she commits to defense that determines how quickly she gets on the floor.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Completely agree. She also seems to be a bit out of shape as she does not run the floor very well. As you said she does have trouble on the defensive side. It's going to be a struggle for her to stay in front of quick, shifty guards but she knows that as well as Vic and that's going to be a big priority for the staff regarding her individual development. I will say I am very impressed with her post fadeaway shot and her shooting ability. When she is hot she's hot and can be a zone buster which we desperately need. I'm excited to see how Vic goes about using her because she can be used in a variety of ways if she just picks it up on the defensive end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m excited about her offensive skills. She just needs to get to “adequate” defensively. You don’t want to try and hide her.....the other team’s coaches will find her. Her body type will most likely not allow her to ever be elite. Just appears not to be quick enough. Our current team plays hard but has defensive challenges. The full court pressure masks some of that. Just look at the shooting percentages against the good teams. The team will be better defensively next year but can’t cover for her too much. I think she can get there as she has some size. Just needs to get on campus this summer and work on conditioning and defensive fundamentals. This is not supposed to be a downer observation. I think she can be a crucial part of the team for the next 3 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

She reminds me alot of Karisma Ortiz but has that street baller skill set. Don't get me wrong she is a very shifty player and can move defenders but she doesn't have that quickness to attack the basket once she does shift the defender. Like you said I am not trying to be negative or downplay her skills because she is a great player but if she can just get those skills down then she can really be an elite player all around

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FarawayFan

FarawayFan 25+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Some nice passing in addition the scoring...

• Like Like x 6
  8. Jacob Johnson

Kobe is set to play in 10 minutes if anyone is interested in watching:fire:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jacob Johnson

Those two are the future of this team. Rori and her passing ability as well as scoring is just insane and Kyndall's ability to score is second to none. Kyndall really is a pure sharp shooter who can pull it from anywhere on the floor including nba range. I can't wait for them to make it to campus

• Like Like x 5
  10. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Looking forward to having them on campus next year!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I would certainly add Aaliyah Moore into that equation as well. Those three are going to form a strong foundation for Vic to build on....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jacob Johnson

Without a doubt! Aaliyah brings that much needed versatile forward player who can run in transition, finish very well & defend post players. She is also insanely physical which I absolutely love to see in a player of her caliber. She reminds me a lot of current forward Naz Hillmon out of Michigan. Those 3 players will contribute tremendously the day they step on campus on both sides of the ball. It also helps Kyndall and Aaliyah play on the same summer ball team so they already have that connection with eachother as does Rori and Kyndall.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As Vic has stated, Aaliyah will be a mismatch for many opponents depending on where we play her (SF or PF). From the vid clips I've seen, she instantly reminded me of Tina Thompson with her size and ability to play both inside and outside very effectively. Of all our new players next season, I think she is the most likely to be a starter the first game.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jacob Johnson

Aaliyah and Rori are the two I say will start immediately. I say Rori simply because although I absolutely love Chevalier and Lambert(depending if she returns) I think Rori is more the type of point guard that Vic is looking for. Kyndall will get significant minuets as well especially during big 12 play because she is a zone buster and can create plays. I'm just excited to see Texas getting the best in Texas to come to Texas instead of going to out of state programs or Baylor

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, based on how many Big 12 teams are playing zero or one true post player, we could probably start Aaliyah at the 5-position (like Charli this season) along with 4 wings/guards. She will give us many options, that's for sure.

17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

For sure the team would be stronger with Collier back. If not, Moore, Gaston and perhaps Coleman should provide athletic, strong post/forward rotation with Ebo giving a few minutes. Gaston should make huge strides in her second year. I also have high hopes that Coleman can eventually be a rotation player. Those three would match up well in the B12. The JUCO post looks like a 2 year developmental player. I also believe Schaefer is still looking for his aircraft carrier post........don’t know where she will come from but don’t see her yet.

18. Jacob Johnson

Spot on assessment. Whether Collier goes to the draft or not, Vic will go after an experienced big Whether it be a graduate transfer or just a transfer. Vic will hit the portal hard this off-season as he recently said he is impatient when it comes to Winning. Especially when that one time transfer rule comes into play, Texas is an easy sale to many players

• Like Like x 1
  19. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Don't sleep on Kobe next year. I think Coach Vic and his staff will bring out a much more complete player than she has shown.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As far as any additional players (beyond those who signed in November), I guess anything is possible; but, there would have to be attrition of a couple of of players before we have room for any incoming transfers. Time will tell; something that will make more sense after this current season is concluded, and Collier makes her future intentions known.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Agreed. We have seen several promising players (Rellah Boothe) pass thru here that turned out to be totally one-dimensional. Coach knows all about that and I trust he knows best. Yet, it is still a concern.

There are 3-4 who may see greener pastures elsewhere. They are correct.

I'm still anxious to see Elyssa Coleman and determine where she fits.

But don't listen to me. I thought Joanne had maxed out after her Sophomore season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  22. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Agreed. I don't think this staff is taking anyone as a " developmental" player at this stage of their tenure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Kyndall can score in so many ways:

• Like Like x 2
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

According to DMNEWS tonight, no upsets in playoffs in the DFW area. Jasmine Shavers the top player in the Metroplex went for 40 in first 3 quarters in a blow-out. Duncanville and DeSoto and South Grsnd Prairie play Saturday.

27. Jacob Johnson

• Like Like x 2
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  29. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Clack sure passes the eyeball skill test. Can’t get too excited about a Legacy player based on Kelley, However, hope she has some burnt orange leanings. Her dad sure had game. Another player that is lighting up DFW is the Catalon sophomore from Mansfield Legacy who is 27-1 for the season. Lots of great young talent in Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Jacob Johnson

She is a 2023 player and is definitely a d1 lock. That Austin high team is very talented and very young. They start 4 sophomores and a junior. There are two twins on that team who I think Texas should look at as well. Clack and her team actually matchup with SA Reagan who has Baylor commit Sammie Wagner and Texas target Christeen Iwuala. Will be a great matchup and interesting to see how Clack matches up against Wagner.

• Like Like x 1