2021 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Apparently Texas is about to land a top star. I didn't put it in the recruiting threads because I don't know if it's the 2021 class or 2022. Hopefully it's the 6'8 player out of Canada.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, there are no 5-stars in the 2021 class who are uncommitted, other than Azzi Fudd, and Texas is not among her Top 4 finalists. I guess it could be a flip of a currently committed recruit.

• Like Like x 4
  3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Curious about the wording. It could be:
    a) about to land A 5 star
    b) about to land 5 starS, plural

Probably A 5 star

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

I think they mean Texas is about to land a 5 star right now but they way Vic has recruited thus far we are expecting him to land 5 stars down the road. Since everyone he has recruited at Texas is a 5 star meaning the entire 2021 class.

• Like Like x 2
  5. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  7. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Only speculation but I would keep an eye out for KK Bransford out of Cincy (class of 22). ESPN #9

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Anyone know what happened with Shae Routt? No longer on the roster page.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  9. Jacob Johnson

I literally just looked at it and was about to say the same thing. I don't want to speculate but she probably realized she was not going to get playing time so she probably wants to focus on school. Or she could be in the transfer portal. We now have 3 open spots on the roster. This entire time I was thinking we were above our scholarship limit but turns out we don't have enough. I know we won't add anyone before the season starts but these freshman are really going to have to step up and we desperately need a waiver on Ebo.

10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

That player has always been mystery.
    1. She was a commit to Karen that suddenly decommitted with no new school
    2. Some lists had her at one school, but was confused since her mother was teaching at another school
    3. Abruptly, she is considered committed back to the Longhorns (a rarity) and signs her NLI
    4. She has some collapse in practice her first year, no one explains it and essentially sits out a year
    5. She plays sparingly her first year, even when our bench was down due to injuries and poor play
    6. Texas sports does a feature on her, and then she disappears. But to be fair Texas sports also had that interview between Charlie and Ashley Hannan, who disappeared mysteriously back to Australia.

Oh well, wish her the best in her future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I actually thought Shae might be a transfer candidate but, after the Shae & Shay feature you referenced and it got this close to the season, assumed that was a decision to be made next spring. Coming out of high school, she was a bit of a tweener 3/4 and the ACL tear her sophomore(?) season definitely cooled her recruiting. If I had to guess, based on the glowing assessment that Vic has given DeYona's abilities and potential along with the fact she was a Vic recruit, Shae decided to move on. If she is actually transferring, I wish her the best - despite getting few minutes, she always seemed to be engaged and never someone to sulk on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

10 days until game time? Anyone have updates on ticket information?

13. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Dunno, but I suspect there's been enough practice time for Vic to let her know she's not going to get any significant PT and might as well drop to FCS or just concentrate on school.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm excited for the first game against Travis and SMU on 11/25. Is there another perhaps exhibition or scrimmage before then? If so please share so I don't miss it. Thanks in advance!

16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jacob Johnson

No, the ncaa said no exhibition games or scrimmages are allowed this year. Which I don't understand but it is what it is. I'm just happy basketball will be played!

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's what I thought, too. But, Kansas State is apparently playing one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jacob Johnson

YeahI I just saw that. Their exhibition is on the 25th which is the start date for everyone so I guess they are using that as a tuneup before they actually begin play. I don't think exhibitions are allowed before the official start date which I assume they are having one.

20. Jacob Johnson

Spoiler alert: expect a big freshman season from Chevalier this season:hookem::fire:

• Like Like x 5
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

She's made a sizable impression - her name followed up Charli and Celeste during Vic's media availability.

• Like Like x 3
  22. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

I'm not sure what the voters are thinking this year, but IMO TX deserves a top 25 ranking. With players like Collier and Taylor and a coach the caliber of Vic on the sidelines I would have thought that would have been a given.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Taking care of the basketball and reducing turnovers will go a long way in improvement from last season. And, not just from the guards. That's one area of the game I'll be watching intently.

• Agree Agree x 5
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Let me see if I can get my hands around the outgoing/incoming player personnel from last season to this upcoming season:

Departures (6) -- Lashann Higgs, Joyner Holmes, Jada Underwood, Sug Sutton, Isabel Palmer, Shae Routt

Returning players (4): Charli Collier, Joanne Allen-Taylor, Audrey Warren, Celeste Taylor

First game action (8): Karisma Ortiz, Kyra Lambert, Ashley Chevalier, DeYona Gaston, Precious Johnson, Alyssa Coleman, Shay Holle, Laure Ebo (possibly)

Did not realize we only have 4 players who have ever played a game for Texas. Maybe that's a good thing ;)

I keep thinking that Karisma Ortiz is gonna be a very pleasant surprise. Seems like her redshirting last season after transferring from Penn State has caused her to fly under the radar as she was sort of in the background during post-season player departures, 2020 roster additions, and the coaching changes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Two weeks away and:
    1) Ebo still in limbo - geez everyone else is a rubber stamp. Where are we in the pile?
    2) No mention of tickets from the ticket office - I did get the request to purchase a parking pass, which I paid for and then the web app reported a problem and I have to call the ticket office (but of course the charge went through!). I guess when I call about the error, I'll ask about the tickets.

• Like Like x 2
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know of a couple of season ticket holders who got calls late last week about their tickets this season. Considering how low the attendance got last season, I'm surprised the list is that long of carryover ticket holders. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Jacob Johnson

Okay what is everyone's projected starting lineup? My projection is based off of Ebo getting a waiver.

1. Kyra Lambert
    2. Joanne Allen-Taylor
    3. Celeste Taylor
    4. Lauren Ebo
    5. Charli Collier

28. Jacob Johnson

The Ncaa better not do us wrong and have Ebo be the only player who does not get granted a waiver. Nobody has been denied thus far and the later it gets the more worried I get because it always seems the people they get to last are the players who get denied. I'm staying positive and hoping for the best.

29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Media availability session with Vic where he talks about the recruiting class a lot as well as the current roster. Bohls with a pretty pointed question about Vic addressing turnovers which have been a “real issue for the program for years.”

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

One thing I forgot to mention as a pretty significant takeaway from yesterday's media session: Ashley has been running the point a lot because Kyra has been "nicked up".