2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes. She didn't sign her LOI in November 2019, but instead chose to wait until Spring 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

How many xfers could we take?

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

At this time? None. Even with Charli and Kyra departing, there are 0 open spots. We'd need to see additional attrition from this list:
    upload_2021-3-29_15-7-52.png

4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Rickea Jackson's mother liked this tweet:e-eyes:

• Like Like x 2
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Rickea’s mom Liked that tweet.

• Like Like x 3
  6. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Your classifications are probably not accurate. This year doesn't count against eligibility. So everyone retains their current status unless they want to move on sooner.

7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That’s where I’m a bit foggy - when I read the initial NCAA release, that was mentioned regarding 2020-2021 seniors who wanted to return for the 2021-2022 season.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, what's the rule as it pertains to exceeding the normal 15 scholarship limit? If Kyra chose to stay another season (as remains classified as a senior), her scholarship does not count toward the maximum 15 number? That would only apply to current seniors, I believe; at least, that's how I thought I understood for women's volleyball current seniors. It's up to each school to decide if they want to continue to "fund" scholarships for returning seniors.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

From the NCAA website:

What does an extra year of eligibility mean?
    Traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. This means, NCAA student-athletes can compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season, but it won’t be counted against their years of eligibility depending on their division level specific eligibility rules.

For example, a D1 freshman athlete, whether they compete in the 2020-21 competition season or not, is eligible for an extra year of competition. Starting their sophomore year, this athlete competes in 100% of the season through senior year. After their senior season, this athlete’s eligibility count is 3 years and they decide to enroll as a fifth-year senior to compete in their fourth collegiate season. Upon the completion of their fourth competition season, this athlete has the option to compete for one final season, a fifth year, because the NCAA D1 had granted all 2020-21 athletes an extra year of eligibility. If this athlete returns for a fifth year, they will have been a member of the team and eligible to receive financial aid for six year, because their first year of competition didn’t count against their years eligibility.

For college coaches, this extra year of eligibility means roster needs may be different for the 2021-22 season. If 50% of the 2020-21 senior class decides to return for an additional year of competition, coaches will need to fill fewer roster sports and possibly re-evaluate the positions they are recruiting. This not only means competition for roster spots will be increasingly more difficult but playing time for committed recruits who play the same position as a returning senior may see less playing time during their rookie year of competition.

What about athletic scholarships?
    There are two factors that control the availability of scholarships at the D1 and D2 levels. The NCAA scholarship limits per sport and whether or not the school is fully funded. For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team’s scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season. The D2 level has not provided any waivers, so there is no potential for D2 programs to offer additional scholarship money for fall sports recruits.

This does not mean a college will go over the limit of maximum scholarships. Each school will decide how many scholarships they can fund for each team depending on their budget. In a recent survey, 80% of college coaches said they do not plan on cutting scholarships as part of their budget cutting measures. For recruits pursuing an athletic scholarship, hopefully this means the maximum, and possibly over the maximum number of scholarships, will be available for the 2021-22 school year.

Here is an example of how this could play out for a college team:

• A fully funded NCAA D1 FBS football team has a maximum of 85 scholarships. All D1 FBS scholarships are full-rides.
    • For the 2020-21 season, the team has 25 seniors on scholarship. Let’s say all of these seniors get an extra year of eligibility.
    • For the 2021-22 school year, this program could bring back up to 25 seniors and all of those seniors are eligible to keep their scholarships.
    • If the school is able to fund the maximum number of scholarships it can for the 2021-22 school year, they could have 110 athletes on scholarships. That means 25 returning seniors and 85 others.
    The determining factor is whether or not a school can afford to give scholarships over the maximum.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

A player who has been "liking" a lot of Texas stuff on twitter recently is current USC junior PG Endyia Rogers from Dallas. She had both Miss. State and Texas as finalist during her recruitment, and took official visits to both. Not suggesting she is a transfer candidate, but it's just interesting info. She also like some Rickea Jackson's tweets.

https://twitter.com/endyia_rogers/likes

11. utfannforlife

Gosh she's already a JR?!?!? I remember her recruitment as Tiffany Jackson and her were related IIRC

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

An Oregon State player from Arkansas announces her intentions to enter the transfer portal. Her Dad has a degree from Texas, and the former staff did recruit her; not sure if Vic's staff recruited her at MSU as she didn't strike me as a fit for his style of play.

The OSU player I was hoping would one day transfer is 6'5 Dallas area native, Taylor Jones, was big on Texas for a while, and had MSU as a finalist.

13. Jacob Johnson

That is who I have been looking at all season. I'm really hoping she enters soon. She had a bit of a slump this season but her freshman season she was a force

14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I was looking for her in the Arkansas-Wright State game...probably why I never saw her. I would’ve put money on the table that she went to arky.

15. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I'm hoping some of the ladies who never get playing time transfers. That will open scholarships for the type of players Vic wants.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

No shade but I think Johnson and Dark horse Holle and maybe even Coleman leave but it seems like everybody bought in right now. Although I know in college a coach can pull you in the office and be like we basically pulling your scholarship to a certain extent or let the player know basically you ain’t never gonna play so transfer I think that’s what happen with Shae Routt. The way I understand you can carry 2 more than the limit next year so we can have up to 17 I think

17. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

You’re talking about college kids, not pros. Vic got this team to an elite 8 in large part because of the trust and commitment he was able to build. The program will grow organically. 15 players can’t play. Transfers will happen but there is room for a few players who don’t see the playing court much if they want to stay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I also have my speculations (and they are JUST that) about potential off-season attrition, but I would never state them publicly at this juncture. For now we are a team functioning as a cohesive unit, and I'm loving the support that I'm seeing for one another from EVERYONE on the team.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Know nothing about her other than she averaged 20 points and 7 rebounds a game:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

I went to SHSU and proud alumni she is a 6’ athletic forward. She defends well she was Sam’s size while she was there so she used to being undersized. I don’t think Vic will even give her a look tho but she can def hang at a P5 school if you are familiar with Arizona’s Baptiste she is very much cut from the same cloth as her.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jacob Johnson

Everyone remain calm :bow:

• Like Like x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  24. Jacob Johnson

It's Rickea Jackson

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up being Jackson and Hayes.

• Like Like x 1
  26. utfannforlife

More than happy if we get Jackson and Hayes, but lordy are we gonna get some size?!?! Looking at Stanford and UConn and USC, a common thread on the front line is that they have 3 interchangeable bigs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

We have size in the freshmen that have been injured this season. Gaston and Coleman. Just need them to get healthy this summer!

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Mississippi State fans seem to think more than one wants to rejoin the coach they went to Mississippi State to play for. Looking at some of those comments about Nikki McCray Penson they reek of overt racism... And they wonder why players want out of there now that the basketball team has dropped off???

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. utfannforlife

I hear that, but most successful teams have a 3-4 P/F rotation. What are we to do when they get into foul trouble?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Mingo-Young to Alabama.