2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

It happens all the time... especially with coaching changes. I'd be shocked to learn it never happened with any of our previous three staffs. SURELY all those that we lost in prior years didn't just fly the coop willingly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. WBBFAN19

WBBFAN19 25+ Posts

Vic is a good coach but hard to play for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Just said the same thing a few minutes ago speaking with a friend. However... most of the successful coaches are.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's too bad about Celeste. She played so hard all the time; sometimes too hard on defense :cool:

I'm sure she has her reasons for wanting a change. No doubt she was a huge reason for our post-season success; she'll be missed by the fans for sure.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If I were to keep an eye on some players with previous interest/connections to Texas, I would list the following (even though none are in the transfer portal as of this minute, and might never be):

- Deja Kelly (North Carolina)
    - Jordyn Merritt (Florida)
    - Taylor Jones (Oregon State)
    - Endyia Rogers (Southern Cal)
    - Desiree Caldwell (Southern Cal)
    - Priscilla Williams (Syracuse)
    - Jade Williams (Duke)

I'm sure there are more out there, but my mind is already tired today . . . :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'd almost put players with connections to Vic at a higher likelihood of transferring to Texas.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Although some would like to hint at that...

9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m taken back by Taylor leaving. She got all the playing time when not hurt. It’s understandable when a player is not a core player. Not so much in Taylor’s situation. An experienced 2 guard is mandatory now. I agree this team will look entirely different. We’re losing our point guard, two guard, and center. Now I’m not sure who else. Now lots more room for MState transfers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

I didn’t mean that as a knock on Vic at all. I hope it wasn’t taken that way. It’s an every year occurrence with every team I can recall. This is a business.....and to clarify my statement Celeste is not one of the players Vic told to leave.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Kid played her heart out for us. She transfers to an East Coast team, then we know it wasn't personal. We're more than happy to hope that MSU transfers land here, so fair is fair. Still, ack!

Thanks Celeste!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I’m sorry for us that Celeste is moving on but totally understand her desire to be closer to family. Wish her all the best.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I see that Baylor is not immune. DeDe Richards and Carrington have entered their names in the transfer portal.

• Hot Hot x 1
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I thought both would enter the draft.

15. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

They both declared for the draft and are not transferring.

• Like Like x 2
  16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, that makes more sense. I'm hoping Nalyssa Smith does as well.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Maybe.

But, I get the feeling a lot of players out there will end up transferring to schools closer to home. Of course, players who have both a connection to Vic and the state of Texas might really increase our chances.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Nalyssa would have to turn 22 this year to be eligible for the draft - she turns 21 in August.

19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Thank you. I was thinking that she was in the same class as Charli but it was Egbo.

20. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I thought they were draft eligible so I was surprised when the notification about them entering the transfer portal popped up. I can’t find it now so perhaps it was in error and removed.

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

You were right, they were all (Charli, Smith & Egbo) in the same class, Charli is just slightly older - I think she turns 22 in September.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Confusion is understandable, due to the pandemic, all players had to declare by Wednesday or Thursday if they were entering the draft. Normally only early entrants have to ‘declare’.

23. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

The first half of next season may be rough or even ugly as some kind if cohesion ids formed. Remember all arm chair coaches, ths is a marathon.

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Exactly. I personally am not worried about it. The new players that we know of coming in have no Div I experience. I expect a bumpy road in the beginning.

This year was all about laying a foundation, setting expectations, infusing a style of play, and sifting through the roster... all the while trying to be the best we could throughout the process. The fact that we advanced to the Elite 8 was a huge plus that nobody saw coming.

Next year, with whomever is on our roster, the real rebuild begins. I'm here for it!

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  25. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m so bummed about Celeste. She’s been my favorite player since her freshman season and I immediately started calling her “my girl”. I wish her all the best and look forward to watching her play NOT against Texas

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  26. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Wow, some news about Celeste...guess Daddy was REALLY here to pack up the Uhaul and drive 'em back to NY! Bada boom!:lol: Good luck, Celeste!

• Like Like x 1
  27. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Yes, good luck to her. Hate to see her leave because she was a terrific player!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Well, we got enough hints from Ball to know who else is going...

29. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Someone else entered?

30. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Would give us that veteran pg presence we will definitely need. She had a breakout year this season and I for sure thought she was going to enter the draft

• Like Like x 4