2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Speculated that NC State is adding two from the transfer portal:

Diamond Johnson from Rutgers.

Madison Hayes from Mississippi State.

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Was hoping we’d get Madison Hayes to fill Celeste’s spot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Familiarity with both school and coaching staff was important in that situation, as was geography to a degree. Hayes had no familiarity with Texas as a school as the previous staff did not recruit her.

Conversely, I am hoping our previous and current staffs having relationships with Rickea and Jessika could pay off should either/both enter the transfer portal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I know nothing about her, but I'd take her:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Coach Lovato is following her on Instagram. Not sure if it's recent or previous recruitment

• Like Like x 4
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

52 players declared for the WNBA draft, renouncing their remaining eligibility - there are a total 144 roster spots in the WNBA, 36 picks in the draft.

7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Can those 52 players return before the draft? I’m always confused.

8. Jacob Johnson

I just saw a tweet from a former Notre Dame player saying players should not have to hire agents to enter the draft in case things don't work out for them which I agree with. Players should have the option to return if they would like and one player I think would benefit from that is former Texas player Chasity Patterson from Kentucky. Not sure she will get drafted this year but since she declared she can't return next year

• Like Like x 1
  9. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Even if they don’t get drafted, they can be an unsigned rookie or play overseas too.

10. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

There's a declare withdrawal date. I domt remember when exactly it is but it think it's coming up this week.

11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I deleted my previous post because I found this:

12.2.4.2.3 Exception -- Women's Basketball -- Four-Year College Student-Athlete. In women's basketball, a student-athlete may enter a professional league's draft one time during collegiate participation without jeopardizing eligibility in that sport, provided the student-athlete is not drafted by any team in that league and the student-athlete declares the intention to resume intercollegiate participation within 30 days after the draft. The student-athlete's declaration of intent shall be in writing to the institution's director of athletics.

I’m pretty sure if they hire an agent, they cannot return regardless.

12. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

She runs the floor so well for a big.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

14. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Covid changed that perspective...:smh:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jacob Johnson

I think we have some good news coming this off-season :yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  16. airtightskipole

airtightskipole 25+ Posts

Go on...

17. Jacob Johnson

Private message me. I don't want to make it public because it's not 100% confirmed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The "off-season" is a long time. Are you talking this month?

19. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Jacob.....for sure we hope there is “some good news coming this off-season”. I sure would hate to continue with news like losing Taylor, Harris. Coleman and all these transfers for the next six months. Please tell your inside sources that the fan base is desperate and to speed up the process for our emotional well being.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I decided to rate the post funny, but AGREE! would have been accurate also.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  22. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

can I get in on this positive news??

23. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

I can’t see us losing Taylor. She’s at UT for more than basketball, she wants that engineering degree, so I expect her to fully stay on board until she’s a potential grad transfer.

24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’d heard one person hint at JAT but I had the same doubt you do - if anything, as grueling as an engineering degree can be, I’d think having the extra year of eligibility would be perfect for her to lighten the the semester workload somewhat. I know she and Celeste are very close but I’d be surprised if she were to leave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jacob Johnson

I think they are talking about Celeste Taylor

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

ah haha! That makes sense.

27. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

We need shooters. Ballers who aren't afraid to shoot. Shooters shoot. No more role players. So if the opponents defense shuts our top scorers down we'll have alternative shooters. 1 thru 5 should be able to shoot.

Really hoping the transfer rule passes and Vic gets his MSU players from the transfer portal.

Still can't believe Celeste is leaving. I get it but dang. She was turning into something special. Very interested in where she transfers. They're getting instant offense and defense. Man!

The whole bench that wasn't hurt or contributed can transfer as far as I am concerned. Fill those slots with some ballers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think more was expected of her after she transferred from Georgia Tech to Louisville a couple of years ago:

29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

JAT is junior in Mechanical Engineering. The fact that she made it to the second semester of her junior your in ME is telling (she's already gotten past the wash-out courses). I got an engineering degree at UT. Believe me, she's sunk a lot of effort in her ME degree to get this far. A transfer to "some school" to play basketball and continue her ME degree would set her back. Physics I is Physics I in most schools, but the classes she takes in 2021 affect the future type of ME she is. She knows she's not going to play in the WNBA and has always stressed she wants to design cars. Yeah JAT is not leaving.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Cynt....needing shooters has been a long standing sore spot with both our women’s and men’s team. One interesting observation is that shooting alone is false gold. I noticed that Katie Benzan, the guard from Harvard that committed to Aston then decommited, then went to Maryland was the nations best three point shooter. Really good. I also noticed Schaefer picked on her by having Taylor and others isolate and/or simply elevate over her. There were reasons our guards had good games against Maryland. Coaches at the upper levels will figure out a team’s weakness quickly. If you have a shooter that can’t defend they’ll find her. Over and over. Shooters at least have to be able to be average defenders. Having said all that...we do need some shooters but ones who are serviceable defensively. It’ll be interesting if Schaefer can turn Kobe into that.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3