2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I saw her play in that same HS game against Plano... mind you she was a sophomore at the time. I've also watched her some this season in games where the scores allowed Mulkey to play her bench. She's got good size, rebounds, blocks shots, not afraid of contact, and puts the ball in the hole around the basket.. decent shot to about the free throw line. Her biggest drawback is her conditioning, which is very fixable as it isn't THAT bad. Not being able to participate in summer work out programs due to COVID was an issue for most incoming freshmen. Having players ahead of her who already had a year or two in the Baylor system (experience and conditioning) wasn't the best situation for her.

She could be developed into a solid player. I think her upside potential exceeds that of DeGrate. I'd be very glad if she transferred to Texas, but I'm also not going to hyperventilate over ANYONE who doesn't choose us.

If we have to roll the ball out to our young players and let them have at it, I'm cool with that too. It'll be frustrating at first, but man to watch them grow, develop, and gel together will be fun. We KNOW how Vic does it. This past March was the most enjoyable in quite some time. It's fun to win big games when you're such a huge underdog. That "oh ****" look on B. Frese's face when she looked up at the score and time remaining, realizing they had no chance to win.... priceless!

• Like Like x 7
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I totally get you. At Baylor it's okay to lie and cheat whenever you're trying to cover up murder or sexual assault cases. But you'd better not be same-gender-loving or you're going to be cast into the firey furnace. I have news for them... Curtis Mayfield said it best "If There's a Hell Down Below We All Are Going."

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Top post players in the nation??? In her class yet but in college I don't think so. Potential is there but not there yet

• Like Like x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. She'll definitely get to test herself against some of the best... none the least of whom will be Cordoso and Boston.

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The good news (for us) with Gusters heading out of Waco is one less big body for Baylor to bring if/when Egbo and Smith get in foul trouble. If 2021 signee Dauda does request out of her signed LOI (like I've seen might be happening according to other message boards), all of a sudden Baylor has no depth in their frontcourt (unless I'm forgetting about someone).

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Good point.

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not surprising . . .

• Like Like x 3
  9. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

YEAH WASHINGTON!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I wish nothing but the best for Nancy and I admire her for maximizing the talents bestowed on her in the gene pool lottery, which is all any of us can do.

But "most sought after transfer of 2021"? Ahem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. Let me preface my following comments by saying that Vic knows what he is looking for in the portal, and how he can use the abilities of any given player, better than I do (or any of us for that matter).

That said I didn't quite see how N. Mulkey could have fit in with his coaching style because, watching her play for Rice, she appears to play from free throw line to free throw line for the most part. Personally I'd rather not see someone like her brought in for one season impeding the development of our younger, more athletic post players who are suitable to his style.

The only way I would want someone for one year would be if they were a significant difference maker, and could provide the things lacking in the less experienced younger players. Still hoping we can land such a player, especially if they have a couple of seasons of eligibility left.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Something I read about last week as it pertains to grad-transfers. If they have already transferred once before, they are not immediately eligible at their third school; they will have to apply for a waiver. That new "one-time" transfer rule truly does apply to players who have NEVER transferred before.

So, that kind of clouds the water for a program seeking immediate help. It's a gamble that their waiver will be approved.

So, that applies to grad-transfers like Nancy Mulkey and Lexi Gordon even though they already sat out one season when they transferred as undergraduates. Personally, i think that should suffice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Karisma lands at Cal. Best of luck to her.

• Like Like x 11
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Karen adds two more transfers...quickly building a very competitive CUSA team. I am very excited to see where they go in the years to come and hope we continue to play them every season as we have recently.

Pimentel was Southland DPOY at Lamar and averages 9PPG over her career; Johnson averaged 6.5PPG last season at Nevada.

UTSA has previously signed our transfer Elyssa Coleman, FGCU transfer Ciss(7PPG), and a JC transfer(16PPG).

https://twitter.com/raoul_000/status/1392266405723131904?s=21

• Like Like x 3
  17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Pimentel was a high school teammate of Sug's and was obviously coached by Empress at Lamar.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well....this thread is only a little over a year old but has 37 pages. A lot of great information in it. Some bad information as well. I’ve spent WAY too much valuable retirement time reading and hunting and theorizing. At some soon to be time, the 2021 designation will no longer be descriptive. Or maybe it will. Thanks to the NCAA, transfer threads have the highly likely potential to be the longest every year. What should happen to make it less invasive.....or at least manageable? Maybe its own server? Perhaps it’s own search engine? An algorithm developed by the Ruskies to “mine” for hidden gems? Awards for most transfer rumors, or most wishes, or most Twitter investigations? Perhaps it’s own automated translator since I can’t understand these Twitter musings. What about its own guru. Wait...we’ve got lots of those. Life in the basketball world as I’ve been accustomed has changed due to free agency......excuse me.....the transfer portal. Oh well. I’ll just mosey back and finish the evening’s amusement with some reruns of Twilight Zone.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Things have been very quiet for us regarding transfers. Most colleges on the semester system are conducting final exams this week. And, most summer sessions begin in very early June. So, that leaves 2-3 weeks for any incoming transfers to get their ducks in a row in order to join their new team as early as possible.

Should we give up on any potential additional transfers from Miss. State? Been awfully quiet to me.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  21. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I definitely think I don't know.

(I'm trying to win the Most Useless Post award.)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  22. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Brianna Harris is a 6ft F grad transfer from La Tech, anyone remember that name? She scored 25 on us earlier this season. Wouldn’t mind getting her for a year to help develop the younger posts.

• Like Like x 3
  23. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

There's another one that bailed on Baylor... she was due to transfer in there from Kansas State before KM left.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Dauda to Arkansas is official. Baylor now with no post depth after Egbo and Smith.

• Like Like x 3
  26. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Never seen anything like it at the D1 level

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Baylor is now losing transfers who never even got a chance to play for the Lady Bears . . . :e-face-tears:

This is Chrislynn who spent the Spring semester in Waco after transferring from Texas Tech. Christianna is the player who just announced her transfer from K-State to Syracuse.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Hillsman lost a ton but he's getting some good talent in. He's also been able to keep his talented PF.

• Like Like x 1
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

But he's got 12 transfer out this year:
    [​IMG]

30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Maybe they lose even more... quite a ruckus taking place on their message board between a few fans who don't particularly care for the hiring of Sophia Young and her outward stance on marriage equality, thinking it may hurt their recruiting. I did some Twitter snooping and no shout-outs by current players when Sophia was hired.

• Like Like x 4