2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps Ja'Mee Asberrry could provide experience and maturity at the PG position; she's a redshirt junior with 2 years of eligibility remaining. While it's great that Calamity is following her on IG (and vice verse), I'll wait until I see Vic or Dionnah start following her before I think to far in the future.

Ja'Mee is from Tulsa, OK. I kind of forget that Calamity and Dionnah have ties and connections in the state of Oklahoma.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Would definitely be a great replacement for Lambert and would give Rori the opportunity to learn from a veteran.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As we have found out, social media "likes" and "follows" don't always tell the whole story, or end up foreshadowing the end result.

That being said, I see on IG that Ja'mee Asberry started following Texas men's hoopster, senior Jase Febres (who is from the Houston area). And, UT men's hoopster Courtney Ramey (who is from St. Louis) commented on her transfer decision a couplef of days ago. Not sure what relation that indicates, but I couldn't deduce one. Hey, it can't hurt that she might know some students/players at Texas, even if they are in the men's program.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Just happy Natasha Mack is no longer on that team and off to the WNBA. Mack was their high scorer in both our games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Historically Vic plays a 7 and at the most a 8 player rotation. Considering we have 6 true guards and 2 Guard/ Forwards currently on the roster I cannot see how it is possible Texas offers Asberry. Like everyone else I’m hoping we fill those last two roster spots with a couple of athletic Forward/Posts. Maybe from Mississippi?
    Rori Harmon | Fr. | G
    Kyndall Hunter | Fr. | G
    Kobe King-Hawea | So. | G/F
    Aliyah Matharu | Jr. | G
    Joanne Allen-Taylor | Sr. | G
    Ashley Chevalier | So. | G
    Shay Holle | So | G
    Audrey Warren | Sr. | G/F

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We definitely could use a little more quality depth amongst our frontline players, especially with Gaston and Moore rehabbing injuries. As far as guards go, at the moment we have plenty but that could change as there still may be some attrition. Bottom line for me... if we pick up anyone else it will be someone who Vic & Co know will contribute immediately. They know what they're doing and know the true needs of the team, having spent so much time with them on a daily basis throughout this past season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

We need to figure out how we should best refer to the class year for the roster. I would argue that eligibility year should be used, i.e., Jo & Audrey will be Jrs and Ashley & Shay will be Fr.

Whether they actually stay the extra year is not known of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, good point. I think there are probably several variables that factor into determining all of that... Desire to play extra years, development of young players, future recruiting, injuries, transfers in and out, etc, etc, etc.

It gets quite convoluted for me if I start thinking of all the different possible scenarios.:idk:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I agree with Ellis. Also, with the incoming freshmen I think we may be forgetting about Chevalier. Yeah she made mistakes, but she was a Freshman! But oh what a player. One hundred percent all the time. We've all seen and talked about the improvement from Frosh to Sophomore. I think she'll be a major contributor next year.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 5
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Oh... I haven't forgotten about her at all. I am more than pleased that we have her and I think she had a really good freshman season. I don't recall her making any more mistakes than any of the other players. Her defense is incredible and you can tell she buys in and tries to do things the way Vic wants them done. Give her some time over the summer to strengthen up some and get that outside stroke down consistently, and she may surprise a lot of people.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I don't think anyone is forgetting about Ashley, but she will be battling for playing time with very talented, and more numerous, guard candidates.

Joanne taught me a huge lesson last year, as her improvement from year two to year three was amazing. I was dead wrong to initially believe she maxed out in year two. If Ashley can come anywhere close to that growth trajectory, the team will benefit greatly. And you can tell Ashley is a coach's daughter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Player development is what it's all about.

• Like Like x 3
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Didn’t see this coming at all...

• Like Like x 3
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Happy for Moon... she's one Baylor player that's really likeable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jacob Johnson

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Personally, I like what Vic is doing by laying the foundation with the highly talented youth. It will not only make for a solid and sustaining program in the long run, but it will also be fun watching it built brick by brick.
    One has to wonder how Baylor's young PG's are feeling about being repeatedly recruited over with transfers at that position.
    Baylor's reputation will sustain for a bit, but the new staff will have to keep winning at the same pace for that to continue. There's definitely a challenge in that with Vic and Gary running their respective programs, both in close proximity.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Hmmmm…thought for sure she’d go to Arizona.

20. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Talk about time slipping away - I would've sworn she just finished her sophomore season. Hard to believe she's already played 3 seasons at OU (sux).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Tech it is.

• Like Like x 1
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Somehow I knew it would be.

• Like Like x 1
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Oregon after all…

• Like Like x 2
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Any player planning on entering the transfer portal (for immediate eligibility this coming season) has to do so by July 1. Disappointed that it seems like we will not have been successful using the transfer portal to add some much needed talent in the front court.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  29. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Aside from the fact that it's not an easy matter to find a front-court difference maker via the portal, simply because it's a very small and exclusive club to begin with, I suspect this narrative of poor front court depth may be overblown. (At any rate, I hope so.)

One of the most fascinating aspects of '21/'22 will be watching how Vic uses his front court.

Although he has three post players (6'4 or above) to provide minutes, I suspect it will be common to see a situational lineup that features Gaston and Moore and three guards to maximize defensive pressure. We'll see.

To be honest, I'd feel better about this if Muhammad and Codio were already on the team. But I guess that's your point, Moooo, isn't it?

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  30. Jacob Johnson

I will say a starting five with Moore and Gaston will be very interesting to see. Transition offense will be even better than last season due to players 1-5 being able to handle the ball during a fast break but I do think Ebo gets the start at 5. I'm expecting a huge jump from Ebo this year

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1