2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Freshman PG Jaden Owens is transferring from UCLA.

2. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

She was highly recruited my Vic at Mississippi State, as well as Karen at Texas.

She sure didn’t live up to her hype in her first season at UCLA though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Owens seems to have the size and long-range shooting to play at the SG spot; I'd take her as a combo guard as I like players who can play multiple positions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Agree. We saw it in softball, granted there is no sitting out one year. But several of the Oregon players who eventually followed Mike White to Texas, including Miranda Elish went through off season with the new coaching staff and decided to transfer afterwards.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Interesting possibilities. :e-eyes:

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Lauren Ebo transfers to Texas according to the ESPN crawl. Welcome!

10. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I feel so bad for her. She was a good player at Baylor and had amazing potential. Sad how one decision affects your entire career. I hope she finds a good place for her and finds her way back.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

She visited Mississippi State before choosing Rutgers.

I too hope she can find her footing. She had a lot of potential and was a great player at Baylor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Why was she removed from the team at Baylor?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Alexis Morris is being followed in Twitter by Johnnie Harris, Dionnah Jackson-Durrett, and Lavato. May not be recent followers, but who knows?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jacob Johnson

Yes she was arrested and was dismissed from baylor for a violation of team rules.

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm trying to piece together Alexis Morris' college timeline:

- 2017-18: Played freshman season at Baylor
    - 2018: Suspended by Baylor (or kicked off team); stayed enrolled at Baylor
    - Jan 2019: Transferred to Rutgers
    - 2019: Sat out transfer year
    - Jan 2020: Played as a redshirt sophomore at Rutgers

So, unless she is a grad-transfer (after 3 years of college), then she would have to sit out another transfer season (2020-21), and I believe she'd lose one year of eligibility. So, that would leave her with one season of eligibility come 2021-22?

16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Her eligibility situation is difficult to figure out for sure. But man, speaking in terms of skills and athleticism, she is the quintessential Coach Vic point guard.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I recall that Morris verbally committed to UCLA as a junior in high school, but decommitted shortly afterwards.

Perhaps the one-time transfer rule for immediate eligibility, if passed, would also apply to players who had previously transferred once, and now seeking to transfer a second time.

This tweet makes it seem like she'd prefer to return to the state of Texas.

• Like Like x 2
  18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Double Whammy!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

The good news is that there are a lot of transfer options for Texas at the PG position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Katie Benzan did "sign" with Texas last November. I found it odd that she would "sign" more than 6 months before actually receiving her undergraduate degree. So, I'm guessing Texas released her from whatever binding letter she signed.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think a Financial Aid agreement is only binding for the school and not the athlete (unlike an NCAA Letter of Intent). Esmery Martinez also signed an FAA rather than an LOI.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Jacob Johnson

I hope Benzan not coming to Texas was Vic Schaefer's doing instead of her not wanting to play for him. If it was him then that means he has plans to bring in someone. Good thing is there are a lot of options out there. With Benzan leaving that leaves us with 3 spots open and I expect him to use them all if not then 2

• Like Like x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes, Benzan had signed an Athletic Scholarship Agreement

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. I'm not all that worried about it myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I will worry until we get a PG who will be eligible immediately. And, there will be competition for them; it will make it harder if they are not familiar with your school or coaching staff.

Kyra Lambert at least is from San Antonio; so, that could work in our favor. She may have visited the Texas campus while back in high school.

Destiny Slocum probably has no connection or familiarity to Texas; perhaps she has a prior relationships with some of our potential new coaches.

Other than that, not sure who else is guaranteed immediate eligibility as of now.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  26. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

There are only a few grad transfers left in the portal right now and most are not well-known names

27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

28. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

And the biggest WTF transfer announcement of the season is ...

DRUM ROLL ...

Shakira Austin to Ole Miss.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Not too out of left field. Her position coach took the same job at ole miss last week I believe

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Jacob Johnson

Didn't expect that at all. I really thought she was going to go to Mississippi state based off of the tweets she has been retweeting but oh well.