2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Ole Miss was 7-23 this past season. Wow...

2. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Both DeYona’ Gaston and Kyra Lambert were followed by TexasWBB on twitter. Both are likely to come to Texas.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm sure hoping so!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

would Lambert be a grad transfer?

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes, Lambert is a grad-transfer from Duke; played her high school ball in San Antonio.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I could definitely be wrong, but I feel we may have a good chance to pick up at least one (possibly two) of the PG's in the transfer portal who hail from the state of Texas.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's what I like to hear. Hopefully, the two of them follow back (which hasn't happened yet).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Lambert has already earned 2 degrees from Duke before completing her eligibility- if she comes to Texas the NCAA should grant her another year for being a bada$$ in the classroom.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Good news!

• Like Like x 10
  10. Jacob Johnson

Well this solves our need for a pg. With two spots left I wonder if Vic is now looking for a wing/foward type player... if we were to get one of these 3 players then we would really be in business next season.
    1. Destiny Pitts
    2. Dijonai Carrington
    3. Zaay Green

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Don't we technically have 2 PG at this point? Lambert and Chevalier? And then Joanne in a pinch?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Still have some incoming freshman that may change their minds due to coaching changes. I'd like to see De'yona Gaston at Texas if she has a change of heart about Mississippi State with the coaching change.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jacob Johnson

As far as the freshman all but Johnson has said they are 100% committed to Texas but I 100% expect her to stay committed as well. The poster who first told us about Kyra lambert coming to texas said Gaston is likely coming to texas as well. He was right about Lambert so I believe they will be right about Gaston as well. Thanks to the poster @LonghornsWBB with the inside scoop:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ask and ye shall receive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jacob Johnson

Gaston is a very physical player who will not take any BS from anyone. She is very versatile as she can handle the ball very well for her size and can be a physical presence in the paint. Has great form on her shot as well.

• Like Like x 5
  16. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Gaston and Ebo...hella inside game...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Duke's Kyra Lambert to join the Longhorns in a Texas homecoming | Hookem.com

A 5-9 native of nearby Cibolo, Lambert started 77 games and was a three-year captain for the Blue Devils. After sitting out the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons, Lambert averaged 5.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game this winter.

Lambert could fill two needs for Texas and new coach Vic Schaefer. Following the graduation of Sug Sutton, Texas will need to find a starting point guard for this upcoming season. UT is also searching for veteran leadership since all of its returnees and signees will be juniors, sophomores and freshmen.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Jacob Johnson

Her stats don't even do her justice which is the best part. I expect her to have a breakout season at Texas as this will be her first full season without any restrictions or anything. Great get for us as she was one of the most sought out transfers. Not to get ahead of myself but I think we finally have the pieces and coaches to win the big 12:hookem:

• Like Like x 7
  19. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I think she will have an outstanding season as well. BIG get for us. As far as players and coaches, isn't it nice to KNOW without a doubt that we are in VERY capable hands now??? Vic Schaefer AIN'T PLAYIN AROUND....

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Even in these highlights, she watches too much. She's raw. But with her size, she's got big up size I expect Coach Vic to develop.

21. Jacob Johnson

Agreed she definitely has some things to work on but if anyone can get her to elite level it's OUR coaching staff especially coach Harris. Very bright future for Texas with these incoming freshman.

• Like Like x 1
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Gaston is raw and seems like I remember she has had some recent injury problems. So it will take some time. However, from watching just those few clips, it is obvious she is a real talent. A few years ago she was ranked number 1 in nation. If she is coachable, she will be outstanding. She has the physical ability that is tough to find. Consider me excited to watch her be part of Schaefer’s solution.

• Like Like x 2
  23. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

The SA write up on Kyra Lambert referenced Ebo as a fellow grad transfer, was that just a typo?

Lastly, not wanting to be greedy or anything but if we can two of the following I don't see how we would not be in immediate contention provided that they're all eligible to play this upcoming season

Alexis Morris or J. Owens
    AND
    Zaay Green

That would give us a legit starter at every spot with maybe the best bench in the last 15 years

PG - Lambert, Owens/Morris, Ashely C. (Frosh)
    Combo Guards - Joanne AT, Karisma Ortiz
    SG - C. Taylor, Isabel P.
    G/F - Shay Holle
    SF - Green, Warren
    PF - Collier, Gaston, Routt
    C - Ebo, Coleman, Johnson

24. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Yes, the Ebo thing is a typo. She has two years of eligibility left. We only have one scholarship left open, unless Shae Routt is let go or doesn’t return to the team; not to be an ***, but let’s hope that’s the case. She seems like a great young lady but is dead weight to our team.

I would really like to get Zaay Green, but I have a feeling she may be wearing green and gold next year

also, I remember watching Zaay and thinking she was super talented and athletic but not a good outside shooter and jacking up a few per game at a very low percentage. Gaston and Coleman both play the same position and could be just as effective for us collectively.. but hey, if we can get her I’m always up for adding more size and quality depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I think maybe so, too.

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm surprised that Coach Schaefer moved so quickly in picking up Ebo, Lambert, and Gaston. I think he did the smart and necessary things to secure the "sure things", so to speak.

As of now, there aren't a lot of post players in the transfer portal; and, not a lot in the 2021 class in Texas. So, even if Ebo has to sit out one season, she is a player at a position which is always at a premium. At worse, she provides our other post players someone to practice against, and of course, learns Vic's system as she is coached by Johnnie Harris.

Lambert was very important, obviously.

With the one or two (if Routt maybe goes on medical scholarship as she has had a lot of injuries) 'ships remaining, I'm not sure who is best to pursue. As much as I'd like to land Zaay Green, having Karisma and Celeste means she is more of a luxury than a necessity. Jaden Owens would give us someone to compete for the PG position in 2021-22 after Lambert departs; she'd have a year to practice and learn the offensive system.

Or, do you wait until after the outcome of the one-time transfer proposal which could result in immediate eligibility as early as this season? Come end of May, there could be a whole new set of players who enter the transfer portal knowing they could transfer and be eligible to play immediately.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If I were a guessing person, I'd say that everything you mentioned is currently in play.

29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Karisma and Ortiz? :e-thinking:

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

"Karisma and Celeste". Fixed. Thx. I started with just last names, and then decided to switch to just first names; it was my 50/50 mistake quota being met for the day! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1