2022-2023 NCAA Tournament The Big Dance

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by HornView, Mar 15, 2023.

1. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

She had that same attitude at Maryland, IMO, but it has definitely been exacerbated being around KM’s personality. I remember Reese’s demeanor during our Sweet Sixteen game in San Antonio (2021?), but that got shut down as we finalized the win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Saying you don't care what anyone say's is not impressive to me. It's like people who say, "I just speak the truth." What truth? Your truth? Whatever. Arrogance is not something I admire at all. It is indicative of character issues.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

This!

• Like Like x 1
  4. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I believe Pat Summit won 8 National Championships, never missed the NCAA’s and something like 22 Final Fours. She said offense sells tickets, defense wins games and rebounding wins championships. If she were alive and coaching today I’m pretty sure she’d still be winning with that same formula.

Vic has pretty much the same one it’s just that he developed a reputation around his defense and being known as the “Secretary of Defense” when aTm was having success and won the Natty. He turned Miss St around to a winning program with it and came close to a couple of Natty’s there in a fairly short period of time. I know we have some basketball wizards on this site, but in Vic I still trust. Bottom line is winning is what brings in recruits. At least it did for Summit anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, she had players who could not only rebound and play defense, but could put the ball in the basket at a high rate.

Vic's own words: "The game is a lot easier when you make buckets". He really needs to repeat that to himself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Pretty sure Vic knows you have to score points y’all. Come on. This year fell apart because of injuries and other things out of his control otherwise I think the team he had assembled would meet or come real close to meeting those lofty preseason rankings and predictions. He’s not going to change his philosophy because of this season is my point. Nor should he in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Of course, he does. But, scoring seemed so difficult for this team; and, yes, not having Moore and Morris really hurt that. But, let's not act like we have a lot of great perimeter shooters; having those type of players will open up the lane for our post players. Quickness and perimeter shooting are what most of us agree are areas which need to be improved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well I just know Vic WAS talking about offense and real excited about having what? Something like 58 points a game coming in with portal transfers Jones, Morris & Gonzales. Rarely if ever did we get to see those three on the court with Rori and one of our other studs like Amo or Gaston.

I guess the good news about the FF results is not having another active coach with a National Championship on their resume. There’s not that many out there.

ESPN tried to score ratings with the contested battles between Vic and Staley when he was Coaching in that conference and I’m looking forward to him mixing it up with her and Mulkey (and Harper if need be) and anybody else with great anticipation. Being in the SEC will help the Texas program.

9. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I have not been a basketball guru but haven’t the dominate teams with the longest runs in the NBA built their team around that dominate big man at the basket? UCONN may bring home the trophy tonight for the same reason.

Live by the run and gun with three pointers and on a bad night, die by the same.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Gasso is the goat no doubt but with that being said she’s known for recruiting over her high school recruits with transfers. Go look at the last 5-10 years of ou softball and they were powered by many transfers.

All I’m saying is Vic has a pretty good resume as well that does attract players. He can recruit and develops his players. We need to be hitting the portal for players as you see what it did for Maryland and LSU. It’s time to keep up with the times or we will get left behind.

11. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I don’t think he should he has a formula that has proven to work. Defense first has always been my mentality because it truly does win you championships. I just don’t see why we can’t have a high scoring offense and great defense. It’s very possible with the group we have.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

His "formula" has been (undersized) quick, athletic guards who can defend, press full court, and drive to the basket. He didn't follow his own formula of success this past season. No doubt Matharu and Allen-Taylor not being on the roster hurt; Kyndall was never going to be that type of player, IMO.

I know that "taller" is typically better in basketball, but not necessarily always the case if it means a lack of speed. We got much taller in the backcourt/wing positions this past season, but it came at a cost. At the moment, we don't really change that area (although I'm very happy to add Booker and Maul). Glad the staff is pursuing quicker guards from the transfer portal; got to get at least one if not two of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I agree with Mooo on this one. And it wasn’t a surprise. Most if not all of us saw the deficient guard play coming early. Interesting that South Carolina went down primarily because of outside shooting (packing the lane and ignoring the guard shooting). Similar to ignoring Harmon’s outside shot. I liked our guards this last year..good kids. But not what would carry team to final four. Glad to have Gonzalez and Holle next year. A quick defensively minded 2-guard who can shoot would allow Schaefer to implement his pressure defense. Plus Harmon has to recover her outside shot. I’m still waiting on that aircraft carrier center that Schaefer hasn’t been able to recruit to Texas. I’ll also repeat…..for Muhammad to keep her spot and more…..she simply has to become a minor threat to score from mid-range. Too many players on floor at times where we were short-handed offensively. I’m anxiously awaiting to see how Schaefer fills those needs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jun Chou

Jun Chou 25+ Posts

Yes. If we get two quick and athletic guards who can get to the rim, shoot the three and defend that I predict for us to have a really good season. If you do not shoot the three, you gotta be quick and can get to the basket to thrive in Vic's system.

• Like Like x 4