2022-2023 NCAA Tournament The Big Dance

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by HornView, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Yea. Say what you will. Not a fan but Mulkey can build a program and coach.
    She belongs at LSU
    Holly Rowe did a great job presenting the trophy.
    ok on to next year

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Wondering how many of our in-state recruiting targets attended the Final Four in Dallas.

I think CyFair Elite was in San Antonio the last couple of days at the She Ballin' Extravaganza; hope that's the case as it would have kept Carlton, Chavez, and others busy and not watching LSU.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

That horrible woman is like herpes and aggy; there is no known cure.

:texasflag:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

HV
    Excellent overview.

• Like Like x 1
  5. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Those refs should not ever call a NCAA tournament game ever again.

LSU would have still won with a set for f competent refs, but damn did they suck.

Iow’s problem was rebounding. They gave up too many 2nd and 3rd shots..

wish we could get Iowa guard Clark for her last year of legibly.

we need 3 pt shooters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Did anyone get names of the refs? We’ll probably get them all for important conference games next year.

:lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I’m not too worried about recruiting. Vic will get his players based on the relationship he builds with them alone. We need to go to the portal though and bring in some guards to help Harmon out. We saw what shooting can do for you to go along with great pg play.

Texas has the players next season to make it very far barring any transfers we just need to stay healthy. If we can get everyone back before next season and keep them in the rotation we’ll be just fine.

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not sure if you are considering (high school) recruiting and portal additions as different beasts, but coaches still have to convince them to sign with your school; the more sough-after the prospect, the more competition there is. Mulkey is and will be targeting many of the same high school and transfer prospects as Vic. Time will tell how the battles turn out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  9. Jacob Johnson

I’m talking as far as high school recruiting. It’ll definitely be a battle between Vic and Mulkey for many recruits down the line but I’m not worried about Vic not being able to recruit. He will get who he believes will fit in his system. We will win some battles and lose some but the transfer portal is a big part of college basketball now. You can build a national championship team from the portal just like Mulkey did. I don’t believe in recruiting over your high school players but adding key pieces needs to be a priority every season.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, I know you follow college softball. You know good and well how those national championships Patty Gasso has accumulated at OU give her the pick of the litter when it comes to high school and transfer prospects. Mulkey could get to that level now that she has a National title at a second school after just 2 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She'll probably get just about anyone she wants. We just THINK we saw her do an amazing recruiting job at Baylor. She's already beat that.
    Ughhhh

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

She'll more than likely get first dibs on a portal player for sure. Just like South Carolina has.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

14. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Saw this tweet earlier. True, maybe these refs never called a game in the SEC or BIG?? Some of the fouls and travel calls were moves I've seen all season in both of these conferences. I haven't watched many PAC games because they are too late for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FarawayFan

FarawayFan 25+ Posts

To add salt in the wound: LSU broke a record I didn't know Texas held since 1986 - most points in a championship game (97).

17. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

In a country that now hires and promotes on things about a person other than qualifications and documented proven competencies you often get inferior results. Don’t know, but just saying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I was a big fan of Reese but this was uncalled for as a winner on a national stage. She has since stated that she does not give a s - - t what anybody thinks. I guess that includes me. You think?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Jacob Johnson

You’re right and she built that roster from the portal so that’s what I’m saying, if Mulkey can do it so can Vic and when you win that national championship recruiting will fall into place. Vic needs to go get a couple grad transfers who can make a difference that way he won’t affect the 2024/2025 class.

20. chuckhorn

chuckhorn 25+ Posts

We have to hold the other team to 60 so we can barely score 65 points to win said no championship coach. If Vic cant worry about our offense as much as he does defense I feel we will never get to where we want to go. Why would recruits want to come here if they cant score.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

As much as I hate to admit it... I agree. I don't think there are an abundance of top level recruits these days that LOVE to play defense without a philosoply that also opens up offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  22. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I do not agree. Tom Penders had the same philosophy. He said players want to go where defense be damned, just run and out shoot. He was fired, and should have been, and we got Rick Barnes who demanded defense first. He is our most successful men's basketball coach. This years men's team was built by Beard and the same thing, play good solid defense or sit, we might have won our first men's companionship except for very questionable officiating.

High schools seem to stress offense and defense takes the back burner. The pros take players who can play defense. Players want two things, to go where they win and develop skills to go pro. Vic does need some 3 point shooters who can play D.

23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It bears repeating.

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I seem to recall Penders saying something about the volume of shots. Just get them up in the air and your average shooting % would prevail. Or something like that. It would be interesting to see the number of shots per game stat versus our opponents back then.

Yeah, he had to go. But those were very fun times. We had some very entertaining teams. Was he the coach when we beat Dean Smith at the Drum? I still remember Brandy intercepting the in-bound pass at the end. What a moment. The roof practically blew off from the explosion of pure joy from the fans.

Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison were on that team. Carter gave us a moment when he put back an offensive rebound with a dunk. Hell, what am I saying? It looked like he flew down from the roof. It was stunning and the place audibly gasped. It was another feat by the Half Man Half Amazing Vince Carter.

But the Horns won the game.

25. Jacob Johnson

I’m sure this season was an eye opener for him. We have the talent to be able to do both. I’m just tired of seeing the same dribble drive offense that we have been running for three years now. Teams have caught on and it showed. We need to run sets and get more movement off the ball to free up players. My biggest issue is our inability to shoot the ball. When Vic goes to the portal this off season I hope he prioritizes players ability to make shots and handle the ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Kim Mulkey is a defense first coach. She also prefers a traditional offense built around strong post play. At LSU, offensive rebounds and second chance points were a big part this year. Her teams take relatively few three point shots but usually shoot a good percentage of the threes they take. Iowa made LSU look like great outside shooters because the Hawkeyes could not defend. Iowa is more skilled offensively than LSU and executes more sophisticated offense.

27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Check LSU's shooting % from yesterday, especially from 3-pt range. They did have a couple of bench players who had an out of body experience:

upload_2023-4-3_8-42-24.png

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

29. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I think she gets her attitude directly from Mulkey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Before and after the portal was created, Gasso's been having the #1 ranked high school recruiting class in the county just about every season. She already had multiple national championships prior to the creation of the portal (just like Mulkey).

The national titles they have under their belts are a huge advantage (against coaches who don't have them) when trying to bring in transfers. Mulkey got Reese because she has won national titles.

• Agree Agree x 1