2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

lol don’t shoot the messenger I’m just going by what the ladies said. They said their first “official” game is against UConn. So I assume they will have an exhibition type game before then and head to UConn for the start of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I thought the countdown to November 4th was about the first game at Moody?

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

UCONN just added a freshman point guard from Portugal. She immediately joins team as a 5’-9” freshman. Obviously a reaction to Bueckers injury.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I count 14! Going to be a really Great year!

• Like Like x 10
  6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

That’s a wonderful photo. Unfortunately for me…..seeing the track in back sends shivers up my spine. Even 60 years later. At the start of each season, our coach did the same as Schaefer…..had us run two 440s, then an 880….with 5 minute recovery between each. So painful and had most of us throwing up. I never understood how those efforts translated into needed conditioning on the basketball court. Probably didn’t. Just to weed out the ones that didn’t really want it. I hope all 14 of our ladies make it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

In the Baylor post-game presser after winning the Big 12 Tourney championship, Vic said "that game today, ya'll, was won in August and September on the track. I believe it, I've always believed it, [and] my teams have typically played well this time of year because of it . . . " Funny thing is, I thought this was a picture taken before today's run. But the pics posted to the official WBB account make it clear that they were actually running when it was still a little dark. So this is actually an after-the-run pic.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

These girls are going to be fun to watch come November!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

J
    No braces on any of the players!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

This!

• Like Like x 10
  12. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I love that

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

It must be an after the shower pic too, because not one of the girls has a single bead of sweat on her.

14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The only indication I got that it was a post-run photo was the redness of Shaylee's face. A clear sign that Zilner has done a good job (again) this offseason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For those who don't remember Joan Bonvicini, she was the head coach at Long Beach State who built them into a powerhouse in the 80's/90's based on player speed and athleticism. Believe she's the one who called the Tennessee players "corn-fed chicks" after the Lady Vols buried them on the boards in a Final Four.

• Like Like x 9
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, I remember her well! She also brought the Arizona program up to national recognition, and was the coach during the time that Adia Barnes played there. I'm thinking that maybe she coached some USA Basketball teams as well but I won't swear by it. It's nice to have our program complimented by such an accomplished coach.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 11
  18. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I assume Vic misspoke when he got around to: "I haven't even talked about the two freshmen." He went on to name them Amina and Ndjakalenga, but then added "both are big guards...6'2...long, athletic, quick, play multiple positions."

But no mention of Jordana. Does that suggest a medical redshirt year, conflating Ndjakalenga and Jordana, or just a confused oversight?

Edit: Coach is clearly excited about the competition at many positions. "So, I'm excited by our group .... we've got a lot of really good options ... I think we'll have a lot of competition to be honest with you ... as they say the cream will rise to the top ... this group is going to be crowded at the top ... and I think it will be that way all year long." Quite a change from his first two seasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  19. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

More morning track work! Gotta love it.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's what I thought was happening. I could very easily be wrong though.

21. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Couple of other thoughts: (1). He singled out Kyndall as having a great summer as well, so all the signs of hard work from her that we've seen on social media isn't just bluster. The coach is noticing; (2). He was really excited about bringing in "54 PTs and 27 RBs" in transfers from the portal. That really is amazing when you put it that way. I'm looking forward to his first presser towards the end of September when he'll have more time to elaborate on things (like Jordana's status). You would think the asst. coach issue will be resolved by then as well.

• Like Like x 7
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

23. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Well that's ok. We might see them in the Final4 if things go the way we hope for anyway. Also, Stanford is slowly putting their non-conf. schedule out. If there's any hope to see us play them in Austin this year, both programs have a gap in their schedules right now between 12/3 and 12/17. So that weekend of 12/10-11 is open and ripe for a nationally televised matchup of likely Top 5 programs:
    2022-23 Women's Basketball Schedule - Stanford University Athletics

• Like Like x 3
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I saw that the other day. Stanford doesn't have games listed for the first 2 weeks of the season (starting November 7). There's a slim chance they could come to Austin the first week of the season, but that wouldn't necessarily fly with our players saying their first official game of the season is at UConn on the 14th (which is still odd to me).

• Like Like x 1
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yeah... I've been wondering about that first game not being until Nov 14. I'm wondering if that's our first official game as it stands NOW, and perhaps the schedule leading up to that date is still being finalized??? I sure hope that's the case.

26. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Gotta make sure they get hydrated properly. Where's that piss chart? What color is their piss?

27. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Love these short videos on the track work in the morning!

• Like Like x 2
  28. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I actually don’t think it’s an indication of either. He couldn’t have confused them with other players because he also mentioned their respective HS accomplishments as well. I took it to mean that of the frosh, those two in particular stood out.

• Like Like x 1
  29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Not sure if anyone is thinking about the PAC 12 coast to coast challenge game in Dallas but I just looked at ticket prices and opted to skip. I know it includes a mens game as well but Ticket Master fees adding almost 50% to drive upper levels to $80 each is ridiculous. Ticket price + ticket fees + processing fees + tax was more than I could tolerate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

It is expensive but I’ll go to both games and since I live in Dallas it will end up being a lot cheaper than when I go to Austin for home games (is how I justified it lol)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1