2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

3. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Texas should be facing:

#4 Tennessee,
    #6 Connecticut,
    #7 Louisville,
    #9 Iowa State (2x),
    #16 Oklahoma (2x),
    #19 Baylor (2x), &
    #24 Princeton

during the season if everything goes to form in the Bahamas, in addition to games in the Big 12 Tournament. That's a NCAA tournament ready schedule.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  6. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

It's laughable Texas isn't #1 in the preseason Big 12 coaches' poll after sweeping the same Iowa State team last year, not twice, but three times in Ames, Austin, and Kansas City, forcing Iowa State into season high turnovers each time.

I respect Bill Fennelly, but he to complains about the physical, tough defense Texas plays. I would love to see how the coaches voted, especially Krista Gerlich.

Oh well, more comical fodder when Texas wins both the regular season and tournament championship.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Right! And we beat them three times the prior season also, but the "blonde ambition" seems to always get more than their share of credit. Can you say Cheryl Miller Award? That's okay... bulletin board material yet again.

Funny that the preseason national poll has us ranked significantly higher than ISU. The Big 12 will definitely be competitive at the top this season. It will be fun to see what Vic can do with a team that HE AND HIS STAFF put together.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, and I love it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  10. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I can see why someone would have them higher. Considering the fact that they have to replace less production than UT. And also added an important piece at the center position. Which means better continuity to begin with. But these preseason awards and rankings are meaningless. Go prove it on the court.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

After last season's post season awards, Vic talked to the media about how he gets that those players who averaged over 16 points a game (the 2 OU players; the 3 ISU players) are gonna garner the votes as this league is all about offense; those teams who are averaging over 80 points a game are gonna have 2-3 players who average close to 20 points a game.

It still irks me that ISU's Lexi Donarski was voted Defensive Player of the Year; none of her defensive stats were anything special compared to Rori and Ayoka Lee.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Ok, so Volleyball did the learjet thing. So I guess WBB is going with the rockstar approach instead:

• Like Like x 5
  13. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I was looking at that earlier and was curious on where we are on season ticket sales. Wondering if we sold more than last year. I just really want the moody to be filled or at least look the part. What we have been seeing at the Erwin center these past couple years is sad to see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Though I agree with your overall point about Vic doing well with ticket sales, having 10,000 fewer seats affects scarcity as well.

15. Sangre Naranjada

That's the biggest injustice of all the postseason awards last year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

The past two years UT played very well when most folks didn't even have them on their radar. Now, that UT has gained recognition and respect, I hope the gals use that as their incentive to show folks that both are well deserved. Final Four/Championship in the very near future!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Charlie creme is still an idiot, but at least he gives UT the proper respect this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  21. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

With the mezzanine being shut down for women's basketball at the FEC for more than a decade, I'm not sure what your point is about there being 10,000 fewer seats. I would think the lower bowl of FEC and the available seats in Moody for the basketball configuration are fairly comparable, it's certainly not a 10,000 seat discrepancy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

The Erwin Center has 16,540 capacity for basketball…..not sure about lower bowl. Moody has 10,000 without curtains opened. So 6,540 less seats. At some point I expect the curtains to be opened for men. Hopefully for women too. If we had a UCONN or other….perhaps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

My point is for women's basketball capacity has not been 16,540 for more than the last decade as they were not opening up the mezzanine. Capacity was the lower bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Sometimes the players brought to pre-season tip-off like the one on October 18 reveals something. Schaefer bringing Holle may be one of those times. In the following meaningless discussion, it’s my fair and biased opinion that Holle will be one of the five starters early in the season. Certainly Gonzalez and Morris have the stats but Holle brings defense, speed and some intangibles. Who really cares….the best will be in at the end. Holle has never received due respect from me and perhaps some others. We’ll see in 3 weeks. It’s a slow Tuesday night and I just had to say something. Go Holle!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Last year, Vic brought Audrey and Joann. I figured he'd bring Rori and Amo this year, so no surprise there. The media is definitely going to want to talk to them, so it makes sense to make your biggest stars available to the press. But its nice we were able to send 3 this year, and Shay is a great rep. for the school and the WBB program. I'm going to be really interested in seeing the content from this years' media days (all will get posted on Youtube). In particular, it will be real interesting seeing the coaches open forum like the one below. I'm pretty sure they won't have Vic sitting next to Gerlich again:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Warming up for media days. Wonder when LHN will show this?

• Like Like x 4
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

It’ll be sandwiched between the 2005 National Championship game and the 2005 National Championship game.

• Funny Funny x 7
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Moody has a 10K capacity? I never realized. I thought it was closer to 7k

30. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Moody Center capacity is 15k with a 10k capacity for basketball games