2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Well, now I know. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I hope Hunter comes back. Hopefully it actually is a personal matter and not a sugarcoat that coaches give then the player ends up transferring. We really need her shooting this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Didn't Kyndall step away during last season and missed one or two games?

Two of her recent stories posted on her Instagram account were about mental health. So, I'll just leave it at that and let folks draw their own conclusions about what could be coming next . . .

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Whatever she decides on doing, I wish her the best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Here's an interview I found with Rori. What is her only stated season goal? A natty. No personal goals and doesn't even mention conference. I like her thinking. Would be a great year to go for it all with the Final Four within driving distance of over 500K alums.
    Season preview: HoopsHD interviews Texas G Rori Harmon

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Vic's Presser today where he mentions Jordana and Kyndall:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Well, I'm still hopeful, based on the smiling animated Hunter I've seen on posted videos, that the coaching staff has indicated to her that she can have a really progressive season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It appears Schaefer is “bullish” on Gaston. Perhaps I’ve underestimated her upside based on an injured player. If she is doing things that now Schaefer recognizes as pre-injury excellence…..just maybe she’ll be this season’s surprise break-out star.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I thought it was interesting at the end where Vic talked about not being just a top team, but a perennial program. Hell yeah. Get to where every year we're in the top 10 preseason rankings. He said that's what he was hired for.

• Like Like x 7
  12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

My expectations have now far exceeded reality. But I hope not. When Schaefer talked about being a perennial top 10 program, I was slightly deflated. I’m hopeful that we’re top 4 EVERY year…..preseason and post. How’s that for exponentially rising expectations based on two consecutive Elite Eight AND a preseason Final Four projection. GO HORNS!

13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I would like for the reporters to ask Vic more about the reserves/players that don't get talked about enough like Kha'Dija Faye, Sonya Morris, Ndjakalenga, and Amina. Kha'Dija in particular because as the back up center, she's just as important as Taylor Jones IMO. Especially when you consider the fact that Taylor has a tendency to get into foul trouble. Which seems to be the case for most centers these days. We know all about Rori and Aaliyah, and what they could potentially bring to the table. I would like to know more about the other important role players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  14. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Great point! Reporters don’t think about the players who aren’t headliners, but as casual fans we are almost more interested in hearing coach talk about what they can provide because we hear so little about them.

I think Faye will be extremely important to us backing up Taylor. I know Vic likes Deyona at the 5, (especially after hearing his high praise of her in his past press conference) but even with her length and athleticism she is still an undersized 5.

Faye was a fantastic pickup and the way she played against Ebo last year shows she can bang, and I like true 5's who can bang!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I couldn’t understand who Schaefer said was injured and missed practices. Think it was Jones who had missed a couple of weeks. The other player he mentioned was also missed. Anybody shed some light on my confusion?

16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Anisa

17. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

He stated that Jones missed a week of practice and Anisa has missed a couple weeks due to injury.

18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Need to watch Jones a little in regards to injuries. She had a major injury (can’t remember what) in high school, a shoulder injury last year, and I thought something in between. A week now is a relatively minor blip. Sure hope she is not an “injury prone” player. She is important to our success this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

THIS. Vic's tough, physical, aggressive attitude rubbing off.

Senior guard Shaylee Gonzales: "We have a really stacked team right now. We're going to be super tough. I actually got here two months ago. I'm a grad transfer (from BYU) and the differences between teams, I just feel like this team is more aggressive and tough. I feel like I'm playing with taller, faster, stronger girls. Obviously it's a different conference jumping from the WCC to the Big 12 so I'm just really looking forward to being able to see what our team can do with what we've been practicing and conditioning with. I'm just super excited."

Texas Longhorns excited about upcoming women's basketball season

• Like Like x 7
  20. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

It’s gonna be a special season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  22. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

In the words of Ricky Williams "I don't like being the high guy"

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

So far, Rori named to the Nancy Lieberman Award (Top PG) Watch List and Sonya is on the Ann Meyers Drysdale (Top SG) Watch List.

• Like Like x 4
  24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m squeamish about high rankings in general, but Vic’s approach is for the team to embrace it. In Vic I trust!

• Like Like x 4
  25. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  26. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Vic always says he left the #3 returning team in the country to come coach at Texas. So it looks like it only took him two seasons to get back to that spot. Now we'll have to see how the team does starting with a very high rank. Since we are always "the hunted" anyway (no matter what the ranking), I'm not sure it will make much difference.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Both Vic and Shay separately mentioned Sonya Morris' intensity and competitiveness. I'm guessing Morris has the starting 2 guard spot pretty much wrapped up for the time being. Also, Vic seemed to acknowledge the defense is pretty far behind right now, but the offense sounds like it looks pretty good. He said something like "we may have to outscore people for awhile". I'm assuming these early games may look a little different than what we are used to.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

A more in-depth interview with all 3 players and Vic just posted:

• Like Like x 1
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The #3 team in the country, but the #2 team in the Big 12? A POX to both polls for raising and dashing my hopes with pre-season polls, really guesses.

And I'm guessing the hatchet has not been buried with that team in Lubbock.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022