2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Yup - with Rori out, the expectations shift a bit. Winning is a huge upside/plus. Losing is learning. And not a big deal either way on season outcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, not totally surprising, but Rori's injury has exposed one of our greatest present and future weaknesses -- lack of true PG depth on the roster. How do we address it?

I've acknowledged that it can't be easy as that player would need to come in accepting that Rori is the starter. We lost Ashley Chevalier during the season last November. We didn't sign a PG in the 2022 high school recruiting class. We didn't add a true PG (who fits Vic's system) via the transfer portal during the offseason. And, we did not sign a PG in the 2023 high school recruiting class.

Sonya is serviceable as a backup PG for few minutes a game, but this is her last season of eligibility. Gonzales has one season remaining, but no guarantee she stays one more year. So, we will have the same PG depth issues next season if an addition to the roster isn't made.

It's not like Vic hasn't tried. We got an official visit a year ago from 2022 Latson. Seemed like we tried recruiting 2023 PG's like Reniya Kelly and Hannah Hidalgo; but, neither seemed to reciprocate the interest. Also tried recruiting a couple of other PG's out of Alaska and the northeast, IIRC.

So, what's done is done as far those high school PG's who haven't wanted to come. The transfer portal seems to be the only option for adding depth next season. Really hope there's a (grad) transfer who wants to be part of a program who is working towards becoming an annual Final Four contender.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

It’s a tall order to find a good PG willing to come in and play behind Rori (a lot of bench time is all but guaranteed). Not many players out there looking for less playing time.

PG by committee is apparently the best option. I suspect JAT got some reps in practice at the PG position and there’s just not been much time for that this early in the season. So now they WILL get some reps in practice and I’m sure things will improve.

Not sure how it plays out next year, but having a PG so good nobody wants to play behind is not the worst thing to happen we are lucky to have Rori. Vic & Co will figure it out they just need some practice time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The best route mightt be going international or JUCO to find a PG whose main objective isn't starting the moment they step on campus. Hoping Coach Lovato can use her connections to find that key piece.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Noticed today that two NBA players…..Desmond Bane and Isaiah Stewart are just out with toe sprains. Both press releases say 2-3 week recovery. So planning on Harmon missing the Atlantis tournament. Perhaps returning after Thanksgiving sometime. After the Atlantis thingy, games are manageable. So let Harmon heal so she’ll be ready for conference.

8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

One of my concerns is physical conditioning of players who are out (Hunter) or hobbled (Harmon). If/when they get back, are they good for part of each quarter? I know in the case of Hunter, even if she were to return tomorrow, it wouldn't be until February (?) that she would be game ready. I'm assuming that she's not running the track and steps of a stadium while she's away from the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Conditioning is absolutely a huge consideration the longer Harmon is out. She’s such a huge part of everything Schaefer wants to do. I was watching closely the conditioning of Jones as Schaefer at one point said she had missed 3 out of last 4 weeks…..or something similar. Jones looked way better conditioning-wise than I was expecting. Agreed that Harmon and Jones are asked to do different things but it’s all I’ve got to keep me hopeful. The day to day thing Schaefer quotes was fool’s gold. Seems like someone (Mooo) heard Harmon say a couple weeks. Training staff should know how to minimize lack of conditioning but there is only so much a player can do without a toe hurting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I never read the linked articles to clickbait Charlie. That guy is a worthless sack of crap, and his "predictions", as you might imagine, stink.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Copied this post from the UConn thread.

When was the last time we recruited two front court players of similar quality who made such an impact their freshman year?

I think you have to go back to 2001-2002 with Heather Schreiber and Kala Bowers. Different era, but I think Mwenentanda/Muhammad will surpass Schreiber/Bowers.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Well Vic said they lost Rori two days before the first game and with Harmon I’m not too worried about her conditioning. She has a non stop motor and Vic said today that if she were to become available then he would manage her minutes in Bahamas but I highly doubt she returns in Bahamas. The matchup against Princeton would seem like a better fit. As far as Hunter goes I just don’t see her returning at all. It’s one thing to miss a couple weeks in the off season but to miss in season games and practices is another.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Looks like Danny Davis got Vic to address the topic Moooooo brought up about PG recruiting around the 8:20 mark in the video. Danny - are you reading our board? Lol. If so, we've got a lot more great questions for you to ask Vic (and the players, when they are available).

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone know what social media posting that Vic referenced in the press conference that resulted in our team defending a teammate? I'm on social media but I must have missed it.

17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I saw a bit of the aftermath but it had to do with when Sonya went down while guarding Azzi Fudd.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

See below. From what I can tell, this "Overtime WBB" IG handle is some UCONN fan who is as big a jackass as his/her followers. Rather than just being happy with the W, he/she tries to hype up Elmer Fudd (and take a jab at Sonia) on this play where she clearly pushes Sonia, but doesn't get called for the offensive foul. Our players weren't happy with the post, and came to the defense of their teammate. When you read the comments from the UCONN fans, you'll put UCONN fans right up there with Tech and Bailer WBB fans in terms of sportsmanship:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

Can’t sleep & stuff on my mind so back to basketball. In the presser Vic mention his returnees have play better and I agree.
    Amo has to mentally loosen up and get better in the high post/top of key area and then her block game will free up.
    Gatson I don’t think is playing bad as much as Jones is getting healthy but she has to quit picking up quick fouls so she can stay in and prove she is that girl as well as Jones is. She picks up our first foul like 90% of the time if not her it’s AMo
    Holle has done the work now she needs to free herself mentally and trust the work. It was in the 4th when she went on a run by herself. She had a 3 then caused a TO then a layup off a great inbound play.
    Jones needs to keep stacking games and prove she can pass out of the double team she is demanding.
    2 fresh keep bringing energy and effort when called upon
    If they can do this and we hit free throws and build some defensive toughness little by little this team will be legit scary.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I find it interesting that Vic's starting lineup has both Gaston and Moore.

Now, against UConn, Gaston started off with 2 quick buckets in the paint; great start for her. Anytime she can score a point before picking up her first foul is good for so many reasons.

But, both Moore and Gaston have shown that they are going to get into foul trouble. Vic took Matharu out of the starting lineup last season during conference play in order to help avoid her getting into early foul trouble. I'd kind of liking seeing this same strategy with Moore (moreso than Gaston) as we need her down the stretch in close games.

If Vic starts Faye and Gaston, that could help delay potential fouls for Jones (not that she's foul-prone) and Moore. Faye in the lineup over Jones mainly to hopefully win the jump ball. Plus, maybe starting Faye will help her (recent struggles) as coming off the bench these first 2 games has not worked for her game.

On the other hand, I understand that starting the game is often a reward for how hard/well a player has performed in practice. So, managing player emotions also comes to play for those who being a "starter" is crucial.

22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

“Part” of Gaston and Moore’s foul problems is they are undersized 4/5 players. I believe defending and fighting larger players early puts them at risk. Perhaps having only one of them start the game might help. A traditional “big” in the starting line-up might help. I don’t care which one sits for first 6-8 minutes until things calm down. There are other reasons but that’s all I’ve got before I head out for my tee time. Ya’ll solve this for Schaefer and I by the time I get back from hunting golf balls in the leaves.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Finally played this and was very impressed with her demeanor and answers. Talks like a veteran, but still acknowledges she's a newbie. I guess that's why Vic chose her to answer questions that day!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Yep, she's impressive, but it would be even more impressive if we could hear what questions she's answering. No one is responding to this issue in the media office. We need to start a microphone insurrection.:brickwall:

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Every time we (I) send a note to the SID, the next press conference, they magically bring a microphone. And then....next year, they forget.

26. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Yep, I see it's not a sports equality issue, you can't hear any of the questions from the men's presser after beating the No. 2 team in the nation. It's embarrassing as well as frustrating. What's the point of having a presser? Okay, I promise I'll say nothing further about it. Would sound like a broken record!

27. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I don't think they forget to bring the microphone to the football press conferences. Seems like they should have it at all of them. They also need to put multiple players out there with Vic at each presser. If one of the goals is to facilitate getting them NIL opportunities, then let them all at least have a shot at talking to the media.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

Ha! I just wrote them about this about 2 hours ago. Watched the Jak video and got annoyed. I feels yer pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. cactus47

cactus47 25+ Posts

Someone complained on Twitter to CDC about no mics @BB post-game and he said "that's our bad and thanks for the reminder." Another followed up with "Don't forget WBB and VB for reporters' mics."
    Maybe that will help.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

How serious is Harmon’s injury?

Any estimate when she will return