2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Yes. I tend to forget about Kobe because she was injured early. Her defense was better than I was expecting. I hope she is recovered enough to get a full summer of work in with the strength and conditioning staff.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

4 players go. Which Longhorns would you pick?

Mine:
    Rori, Aliyah, Aaliyah and DeYona.

I went back and forth between DeYona and Shay.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Anyone who has watched 3 on 3, is it pretty much run and gun, or do they end up running half-court plays? Without any further information I would go with DFW's picks.

7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Combination of post ups, screens and one on one.

8. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

If I understand your question correctly the competition I have seen was not done on a full court, just a half court. Just like ya do in your driveway.

9. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

Your guess was pretty accurate

• Like Like x 7
  10. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Nice lineup. Vic gonna coach our squad?
    Here's the U18 FIBA World Cup final from last fall (feat. Mikaylah Williams) to give an idea of how 3x3 works. You can't full court press, that's for sure. ;);)

• Like Like x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I assume it’ll be an assistant - Tennessee is sending assistant Samantha Williams.

12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Makes sense b/c I just saw where Vic is supposed to be on a Texas Exes tour with Sark, Beard, Elliott and Del Conte between May 9th and May 18th (4 stops, SA, Dallas, FW and Hou).

13. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I thought that Kobe played defense much better than I expected. If she is healthy and gets a year of conditioning she could be special.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

A great way to start the year! Vic Schaefer Coach of the Year!!

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

When looking at social media, there seems to be some indication that Jordana might be available this fall. Her surgery was on 2/10. In her recent social media posts, I don't see a brace on her knee (the last IG post she had with a knee brace was 4/3). And can we just admire how absolutely cool it is that she and incoming 5 Star UTMBB recruit Dillon Mitchell went to prom together and rep'd their future school in style:

Not sure what the source is for this statement, but I like it:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Now that’s a FAST recovery! I hope all that happens. Still seems she will have to slowly transition into the fast paced game. Or not. My hope is by February or March she is an integral part of the rotation on a team pushing for a final four run. Perhaps this recovery is making Schaefer’s decision easier on transfers. Good news on a Tuesday.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

There is physical recovery, and then there is the time it takes an athlete to truly trust the knee once again.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Very true... been there more than once myself. It's that trusting part that is the most difficult.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Too true. I think of Lashann recently. She was cleared to play but was very tentative her senior year compared to how she played before the injury. I see clips of her in Europe and she’s much more like her old self.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Charlie boy has now updated his way too early Top 25 in light of recent portal additions and subtractions. Still has us at #4 but without even mentioning Taylor Jones (his top 4 remain unchanged). Some notable changes, however:
    (1). Moved Arizona down from #12 to #17 (probably because they lost more than they gained in the last month?);
    (2). Moved Tenn up from #8 to #6;
    (3). Moved ISU down from #7 to #8;
    (4). Moved cocky baptists up from #25 to #20;
    (5). Moved LSU from unranked to #22 (assuming Esmery doesn't change teams 3 more times in the next few weeks);
    (6). Louisville up from #14 to #9;
    (7). can't afford the buyOUt moves down from #10 to #13.
    (8). Ebo's Irish move up from #9 to #7 (nice job Lauren)
    (9). Audrey's bulldogs - still not ranked quite yet, but will probably get there.

Women's Way-Too-Early Top 25: Transfer portal shakes up rankings

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Our camps start in a month. Hopefully, Vic will have a full staff hired before the individual camp starts on June 12th.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Let’s talk Masudi. When she was touted as the best JUCO center a year ago, her limited film sure showed some athleticism. But her stats and raw skills, showed us all that she would need at least a year to be a factor. All that turned out correct. I’m wondering if she’s ready to be a rotation piece this year. Ebo leaving left a HUGE gap in our having any sort of post up threat. If everyone wants to see good three point shooting, then beg for that post up presence. Without it, the defense extends and most 3’s are contested. Taylor provides some of that, even though she considers herself a forward. Gaston gives some of that but she’s undersized for that against longer posts. So it’s Taylor, Gaston, Masudi in the low block. I didn’t see any post moves from Masudi last season. She doesn’t have the low center of gravity body type to be a star at that. It sure would help if she had one go-to move and one counter. She can play defense due to her length and mobility. But to get into the rotation, she’ll need to develop some simple, adequate low block moves. Can she do that? No clue. If she can we are ok at the interior offense position. If she can’t, then we need a back-up post that can. That’s why there is so much gnashing of teeth regarding a back-up post. Hope some one is working on those moves now. Would be nice to have an assistant coach in charge of posts. But that’s another story. GO MASUDI !

23. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

And I realize you can put Moore in the discussion but to me, she’s a power forward that’s effective from the elbows and some inside moves. But she’s also undersized inside….similar to Gaston. Undersized(Gaston and Moore) is not good against the top teams.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Heading out to go represent:

• Like Like x 6
  25. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

Looks like Sydney carter is with the team

• Like Like x 1
  26. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Texas beats UNC pretty easily, 20-14, in game 1. A bit concerned about Rori - she took an elbow to the face with a couple of minutes remaining.

28. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

Looked ok afterwards, hopefully a non issue. No UT medical staff there? Girls looked like they were coaching themselves... Moore dominant inside, Harmon is still too quick, and Matharu raining threes... er twos....

• Like Like x 2
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Well, the other girl took a face to the elbow. Let's show a little concern for her too.

• Funny Funny x 4
  30. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Agreed. Rori seemed to be ok when they left the floor. My thoughts - (1). Having Rori is an obvious plus because her D is totally elite. I thought she did a lot on ball to frustrate UNC. (2). Matharu really is made for this type of street ball "in your face" shooting. She got it going for awhile there and has no fear. Announcers need to stop butchering her name though. (3). Was funny seeing Rori and Matharu wearing #s 98 and 99. It made them look taller. (4). Shay looked really good too and had some nice defensive stops. She was a good choice for this team. (5). But I think the star today was Moore. They couldn't guard her. I'm really excited to see how her game progresses this season.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1