2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Its a toe. Someone posted here after the Louisiana game that they read on an OB board that she told a fan it would be 2 weeks. That would probably make her available for Princeton in a week, but the damage to our tournament seeding will already be done by then.

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I have this picture saved for various years, various Longhorn teams.
    [​IMG]

Some of you are softball fans. I recall the dread of last year's start where a confident Texas team went into a top quality tournament and lost every single game. And then, with time and duct tape, we ended up in the NCAA softball finals against the threshing machine that is OU softball.

Don't know how we're going to do this year. And I know Rori isn't the end-all that will solve our problems. This is what happens when they randomly name us #3 pre-season.

Just gotta be patient and get some home cooking to cure the fever.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I’m not worried at all. If it’s one thing about a Vic Schaefer coached team is they will get it together. I know we all hate to lose and expect a lot early but when you’ve been preparing for weeks with a set lineup and then lose your starting pg two days prior to the first game it will have an impact on your play early.

Defensively we are not where we need to be at all but we’ll be just fine. We need better play from Gaston, Holle, and Moore though since they are the returnees who understand the system. Harmon should be back soon and it can’t be that serious because her tiktok shows her dancing without a boot in the Bahamas I just think Vic is playing it safe and wants her better than she was before.

• Like Like x 5
  4. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I respectfully disagree. One “bad loss” will not hurt this team at all long term. And then just to be clear, we don’t even know if Marquette will even end up being a bad loss when the season is all said and done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

It’s frustrating watching this team try to find itself. It was an unusual off season, IMO. Surprise transfers out, needing to replace basically the entire coaching staff, allowing a major assistant coach position to be vacant way too long (why?) plus the emphasis on promoting the new arena. I’m confident Vic will sort it all out and we will be ok but, geeze, watching this team now just isn’t much fun.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep... lots of new pieces to put together. We'll be okay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

UCONN's 22 pt win at home over #10 NC State makes our loss there w/out Rori a little easier to tolerate, if that's a thing.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

9. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

10. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

The front end of our schedule was obviously loaded. Next weeks' games at the Moody should be pretty tough, but not like the last week. I'll be at both of them. Really hoping to see Rori in the lineup. We have a chance to be 10-3 going into conference play. We were 9-1 at that point last season. This team is going to have to earn everything this year to make everyone forget the last week. Let's hope we can turn the page now.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Wow. The media does seem to get that Rori wasn't playing. I don't know if I recall ever seeing a 1-3 team still make the top20? We need to hope Iowa St. keeps winning and then get quality wins against them when conference starts. Plus not stub our toes anywhere else (ok, sorry, but I couldn't resist).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

16. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Interesting stats through the first 5 games:
    -Sonya shooting 46% from 3PT range; she's our leading scorer at 12.6 pts/game. Matharu's 3PT% was 42% last year (I realize its still early, but we haven't exactly been playing cupcakes).
    -AMO, Taylor, Amina all averaging about 5 RB/game. Hattie would probably have at least those numbers, but she's only averaging about 1/3 of the mins played as the other 3.
    -Amina leads team in FG% at 72%, and she's taken 18 shots. She's doing this against talented teams. I think Amina is really going to be a force by the end of the season.
    -Shay leads all guards in overall shooting % at 41%. All of her numbers are up from last year, so her off-season work seems to be paying off.
    -Shaylee's FT% is almost 95%. Sonya's is 100%. We need them to draw more fouls. Something that will be a lot easier when Rori is running the point. They have both got to be chompin' at the bit for Rori to get back. The last time they played together (DePaul), Sonia had 21, Shaylee 15. Shaylee's averaging 1/2 that amount right now, no doubt due to all the work she's having to do running the point.
    2022-23 Texas Longhorns Stats | ESPN

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  17. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Good info. Thanks for putting this together.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Born….I give up. I’ve looked at roster 3 times and can’t figure out who Hattie is?

19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Khadija Faye

• Like Like x 2
  20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Guess I failed the name search contest. That is all I got on the players/team until I actually get to see them play. Box scores and commentary here leaves me unprepared. Once I see the Princeton game, then I take the boxing gloves off, thanks racer.

21. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I would say the only loss that we statistically should’ve won even without Harmon is Marquette. They are a great team but we still should’ve won. The thing about UConn and Louisville is that those teams have full rosters in the sense that they have who they are going to have the entire season.

Texas was missing a key player who will be returning. So when it comes down to it we have much much more room to grow and get better with the return of Harmon and this team coming together. We’ll be a force come big 12 play and March so I’m not really worried about the start so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Because it was an exhibition I can't look it up but, during the DePaul game, the announcers said Rori registered a +20(ish) +/- despite only scoring 3 points. Her absence was what I would wager every Longhorn fan feared the most before the season even began and I think we were all justified.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Thanks Racer. My bad on the spelling. Her nickname makes sense now.

• Like Like x 1
  24. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I,m wearing my favorite glasses with burnt orange frames and rosy tinted lenses. Not only do I think the team will benefit from the return of Rori, I think there will be a benefit from the “thrown in the fire” experience Shaylee gained in the tournament. She will be more prepared to provide some backup minutes at the point. And even playing the off guard, she’ll benefit from the experience. As dismayed as I was by the losses, I did enjoy watching the young players learning and improving game by game.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I only learned of this nickname for her from Blair Shaefer. At the dinner with the fans and the team, she kept reference "Hadi" and it took me a while to realize she was talking about Faye.

And for a few weeks, I kept pronouncing her last name "FAY" when it should be "FIE". We'll get there.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for that tidbit. I am guilty of the same mispronunciation.

27. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

Looks like rori is saying goodbye to the boot thank god

• Like Like x 7
  28. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Bummer that USF game will conflict with volleyball team's second round. I guess thank goodness for LHN.
    [​IMG]

30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Vic's mention about the attendance had me thinking about how much the Moody has helped
    [​IMG]

BUT, it is a small sample size for this year. And then Friday's volleyball game won't help.

• Like Like x 1