2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

It’s not adding up I know coaches don’t worry about rankings but even so something not adding up. Our losses aren’t terrible losses like some others ahead of us. Then teams like OSU and UNC who have been rocking at best are ahead of us. Not to mention LSU...... ( padded resume). Even if they beat SC I don’t respect it to an extent cause they’ve been struggling as of yet if you seen them play but all people talk about is ole girl dbl dbl Queen or what not. I think the BIG 12 is being blatantly disrespected. The SEC has 1 maybe 2 real contenders PAC12 Stanford has some head scratchers and have showed they are human, Big East is UConn and NOBODY ELSE, ACC is confusing cause idk if any of them will contend in the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I can’t. :idk:

3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

The first NCAA “reveal” is Thursday. The AP, Power Rankings, Crème, etc are fun. The NCAA one shows what the “reality” is. I’m betting a #4 seed. It’s difficult to totally ignore the early season losses. But I think the NCAA folks will consider the Harmon effect. To make a #3 seed it would take a long winning streak. It’s doable but a #3 is probably a ceiling with a #6 a floor.

4. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Our losses are also all relatively close. No straight blowouts.

5. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

The Big 12 is a slug fest going forward. We must take care of business and stay focused. We have no wiggle room for mishaps with Tech, TCU, West Virginia or Kansas State.

Texas #20

• 18-6 overall
    • 9-2 conference
    • Losses to UConn, Marquette, Louisville, South Florida, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech
    • Key games on the schedule: Texas Tech, Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Baylor
    Oklahoma #16
    • 18-4 overall
    • 8-3 conference
    • Losses to Utah, Baylor, Texas and Iowa State
    • Key games on the schedule: Baylor, Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma State
    Baylor (Not ranked in the top 25)
    • 16-6 overall
    • 7-3 conference
    • Losses to Maryland, Michigan, Arizona, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, and Texas
    • Key games on the schedule: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and Texas
    Iowa State #21
    • 15-6 overall
    • 7-4 conference
    • Losses to North Carolina, Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas State and Baylor
    • Key games on the schedule: Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Kansas

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I’m sorry. But are you trying to be reasonable? How dare you. :smokin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

We'll be there in Burnt Orange! Shout out to Hornview for the help with parking. Hook 'em!

• Like Like x 2
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

In talking to a friend at church yesterday, he was sharing that Wes Moore called him this last week to talk catch up and also talk about his NC State team. Wes is lamenting the challenges with so many transfer players. He had a senior led team last year with Cunane and others that he had for several years. Now with the portal plus freshman his challenge us getting the players to play like they never had before. It sounded just like Schaefer’s lament. But Moore said they were getting better but it had been challenging. Tonight, they got beat by a good Virginia Tech team so Moore will have to coach harder. Moore is from Carrollton and attended our church so am always cheering for him. It appears Schaefer is getting his transfers changed a little sooner than Moore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Crème’s bracket has Horns as a #4 seed today. Still in South Carolina section though.

• Like Like x 3
  10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  12. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

At the 2 minute mark of last night's post-game, Vic talks about Sonya's status. He said its nothing "major major", but also said he's "very concerned" and that she "spent the night in the hospital". Said she's day-to-day. Wondering what to make of all of that? Clearly, we don't want her to try to play on Saturday, but we really need her available on the road at IowaSt. on Monday if at all possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

If anyone attends the WBB luncheon today, would love any info you can post.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

First NCAA top16 reveal is tonight. We still have a Net rating of 10. From their website:
    2023 NCAA women's basketball top 16 reveal schedule
    There will be two total reveals before March 12's Selection Sunday. Here's the full schedule (all times in ET):

Thursday, Feb. 9 | ESPN during halftime of the 9:30 p.m. Stanford vs. Arizona game
    Thursday, Feb. 23 | ESPN during halftime of the 7 p.m. South Carolina vs. Tennessee game

• Like Like x 1
  16. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Last week, I recall Sonya colliding with an opposing player and got what appeared to be a knee to her thigh. After the collision she had a noticeable limp. She played the remainder of the game and played the full 40 minutes at Kansas a few days later. I shrugged it off as nothing serious.

When she appeared at the game last night on crutches, I assumed her injury was a new injury that happened in practice. Vic mentioned in the press conference that her injury was a nagging injury and it didn’t happen in practice.

From watching her after the game, she was able to put weight on her leg but she had little flexion in her foot. I assumed it was an ankle sprain. Vic’s remarks seem to contradict the diagnosis of an ankle sprain.

Sonya spending the night in the hospital is also concerning. Hopefully, it was precautionary.

Very confusing. Hoping for a speedy recovery. We desperately need her down the stretch.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

The issue is a thigh contusion from the Kansas game. It seems unusual to have to go to the hospital for that, but if it bruised the bone there can be a lot of pain. Hopefully she will recover quick.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Thanks for the info. In looking at this particular type of injury per this article, let's hope its only a Grade 1. The hospital part concerns me.
    Thigh Contusion (Quadriceps Contusion) - Sportsinjuryclinic.net.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Reminder: the first Committee reveal of the Top 16 is at halftime of the Stanford vs Arizona game on ESPN starting at 8:30pm tonight

We betta be hearing “Texas Longhorns” is all I’m gonna say about that

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Hadn't kept up with the metrics recently, but I recall Texas being like #11 in NET ranking, but around 20+ in RPI.

We are now #10 in NET ranking, #12 in RPI, and #8 in SOS. Maybe we will be a #3 seed (9-12) in today's reveal.

NET Ranking - Women's College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I've had one before from a basketball game... it was very painful.

22. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

#8 SOS
    #10 Net
    #12 RPI
    #20 AP
    #23 Coaches

Clearly those last two are nothing more than popularity contests. Lazy sports writers should be ashamed. Biased coaches shouldn’t have a poll that gets published.

Success brings out the fans and right now we are being robbed of the ability to market to the Longhorn Nation that we have both men and women in the Top 10. All because a bunch of lazy sports writers do not respect the Big 12 which currently has 7 teams in the top 68 net rankings - meaning 7 teams out of 10 that should be in consideration for making the tourney and two more knocking on the door (Tech 72 and WV 73).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  23. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I won't mention any names, but you can connect the dots...

Fans will love a 6'+ incoming freshman that plays like a point guard. She and her family are very excited and can not wait to join Texas next year.

Another 6'+ incoming freshman will develop slowly and will spend her first several months with the track team, learning how to run, and how to run fast. But she has something you either have or do not have.

A newcomer with the team (and her family) made a great decision to enroll early and receive the medical support and rehab services that would not be possible in HS.

Another newcomer will not see the court before October at the earliest due to rehab, so it will take quite a bit of time for her to return to play. Therefore, it is not currently possible for Vic to evaluate her game.

Three seniors will be honored at the Baylor game. Sonya, Anisa, and Femme. That took me by surprise, but there was no mention if this will be the last year on the team for any of the three.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  24. 2violia2

2violia2 Guest

Is there any kind of update on Kyndall Hunter? Is she coming back this year?

25. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

What about Shaylee. Is she not a Senior or does this mean she has another year (oh please oh please) ?

26. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

She has atleast another year left.

• Like Like x 2
  27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

But, but math. She’s a graduate transfer. I mean, I’m thrilled but I don’t understand :idk:

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

She red-shirted one year at BYU so she attended school 4years but only played 3. That gave her one year. The she gets the "Covid year". So, yes, she can play one more year for Texas if she chooses.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

The Committee reveal has Texas at a 3 seed #12 all around

Suck it Charlie Creme

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

LSU’s SOS is 114. :facepalm: