2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

As I understand it, seat selection was spread out from Monday to Friday. I must be in the middle of the pack on Loyalty Points, since my time slot was Wednesday, early afternoon. I wasn't expecting as good a location as I had in the Erwin Center, because I lucked into those dead-center court seats many years ago.

The Moody Center center-court Section is 107 on the side opposite the benches. I was abroad during the Open House opportunities, so I relied on a friend who attended. My group ended up in Sec 106, Row BB (two rows from the court). As far as I can tell, they are about at the free-throw line across from the visitors bench. I also selected a couple of seats in Sec 108, Row BB across from the Texas bench.

Not center court anymore, but it's about what I expected.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

My seats are also 106-BB. I was warned about the lower seats behind the benches - padded folding chairs without cup holders.

• Like Like x 1
  3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Those are for the big money donors who are part one of those sub-clubs within the Foundation. I can't remember the cost of those seats, but they're something like....$500+ above the price of the actual seat. And yes, you see the back of the heads of the players/officials.

4. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Looking forward to making your acquaintance in November! I enjoy your posts and the research you do to make the Board a better place.

I heard the same...that the chairs on that side are uncomfortable. I heard that seats are that way in order to easily clear the seats away for Men's basketball so that students can stand on that side at court level to provide a more intimidating atmosphere. If true, I hope that works out for Beard.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I used today's roster update to refresh my spreadsheet. Let me know if you catch any errors:

upload_2022-5-23_14-34-57.png

• Like Like x 3
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looking at the roster, noticed that Vic isn't as strict about listing actual height as Karen was. Rori has been (generously) listed at 5' 6" but now they have incoming freshman PF Amina Muhammad at 6' 4". I've seen her play in person and she's 6' 3" at most - she plays taller than her height thanks to her arm length and leaping ability.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I kinda wondered about that too DFW. Vic mentioned in his 11/10/21 presser that Amina was 6'2" - 6'3", but very long. Amina posted prom pics on her IG feed yesterday and she looks more like 6'10" in those photos, but she probably had some decent sized heels on. They list her as a forward, but it seems like she'd get a look at the post with her size. Also, I thought Ndjakalenga was a small forward, but they have her listed as a guard. Anyone know when all the new players are supposed to report to campus?

9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Jordana and Amina have both posted they report next week so I assume Ndjakalenga will do the same.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I think this is as accurate as it can be until we learn more. I had assumed Matharu would remain on the 23/24 roster. (Of course, this same uncertainty will remain in future years with other players, e.g., Shay, Deyona.)

And we need to list Abbie with an asterisk until we receive confirmation that she has a ship.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Would we accept a commitment from a recruit if we didn't intend on honoring it with a scholarship? I thought that's what a commitment was... a response to a scholarship offer.

12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Yes. The industry jargon for this type of commitment is a "preferred walk-on." It generally occurs for "2nd tier" players who aspire to play for a given team and the team sees value in having that player on the team for various reasons. The idea is the walk-on would compete for playing time, and if successful, an actual scholarship could be awarded at a future date. (It's more common in football.)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Very common in women's volleyball. We might have 2 new freshen additions to the squad this season who are not on scholarship, but did announce out on social media that they had "verbally committed" to Texas; one even had a signing ceremony at her school last November. But, the "signing" was probably just for celebratory reasons and not necessarily an actual LOI signing.

After one year in the program, coaches then decide if player has done enough to earn a scholarship for the next season. And, that cycle could repeat each season. Sometimes, coaches already tell the recruit and their family that player would get a scholarship in season 2, regardless of any other circumstances.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

So....Jordana and Jak are both listed as guards. This remains for these eyes to see, but if indeed they both have handles befitting a true guard, with defensive chops to match, it would make for an interesting matchup against the big guard lineups of KSU and ISU as a change of pace for Vic and during periods when Rori is taking a breather.

Unrelated, there is an interesting note on the KSU roster page. Apparently, each school can treat this as they wish, which explains the inconsistencies we see.

NOTE: Kansas State has elected to advance players’ classification even though the 2020 season did not affect eligibility. Those that wish to take advantage of the extra year will be listed as a senior again after their original eligibility would have been exhausted.

• Like Like x 4
  15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m a little dazed and confused on a Thursday. I am aware that walk-ons pulled from student body don’t have a scholarship early on. But unless someone can give me an example, I’m not aware of any WBB player coming on board from high school or transfer that didn’t have a scholarship..or was a grey or other shirt. Since we are talking about Boutilier here, I am skeptical she doesn’t have a commitable scholarship. Perhaps it’s her slow development and underwhelming stats and low recruiting rankings that cause this discussion. Perhaps she doesn’t. Right now, until someone provides some tangible evidence…..I think she has one. Of course, there is always the possibility of asking for or receiving a release …..in which no one really knows what happened.

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not purposely, but I think this thread intended for the upcoming season has gotten sidetracked into detailing a specific recruit who won't be part of the program until the following season. Not that the topic can't be discussed, but it would probably be better placed in one of the recruiting threads.

17. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm pretty sure Anissa Gutierrez is a walk-on. I don't have proof as they don't announce that someone's transferred in as a walk-on.
    Anissa Gutierrez - Women's Basketball - University of Texas Athletics

18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Anissa is definitely a walk on but, with 2 open scholarships still available, I could see her getting a scholarship spot unless additional transfers come in.

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Move in day for Jordana Codio!

• Like Like x 4
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 13
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm going to predict that, of the three incoming freshmen, the least decorated one is going to be a nice surprise. I hope I'm right... let's see.

• Like Like x 4
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

And Ndjakalenga makes all 3…

• Like Like x 9
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Biggest addition to team, both in size and probable impact…

• Like Like x 10
  25. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I may have missed it but does anyone know if Jones is still rehabbing her shoulder? Is she expected to miss any games at the start of the season?

26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

She's probably still working on it but, after the surgery in February, Oregon State made this statement:
    "Jones is expected to make a full recovery prior to the beginning of practice for the 2022-23 season."

• Like Like x 2
  27. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Agreed! When Blair went on that wild sprint through the parking lot after Taylor committed, that told us everything we needed to know. Especially with Ebo's departure, Taylor is going to be so critical to making another great run. I hope we can find some depth behind her too.

• Like Like x 6
  28. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

We’re getting closer!!

• Like Like x 11
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Happy with this decision, although it probably only affects us the next 2 seasons:

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Would really liked to have a full coaching staff running drills. Trusting Vic but there is such a thing as player/ coach cohesion and bonding.

• Agree Agree x 1