2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I don’t care. I absolutely love the way Texas is making contact on Bahl. Those two plays are just amazing plays by Oklahoma. Whatever the strategy is keep it because it’s working. They can’t make those plays all night.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Apparently this will definitely be the final season before the Big 12 newcomers come on board as the three AAC schools reached an agreement with that conference to leave July 2023

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, I haven't seen Jordan Codio wearing a knee brace in any of the photos/videos posted the last week or so since she arrived on campus.

I forget when she had her ACL injury and subsequent surgery; but think it was late last year. I recall some thinking she might redshirt her freshman season due to not being fully recuperated. Anyone have thoughts/updates on her health?

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

From an article this past April:
    …on Jan. 21 (2022), Codio — whose junior season had been cut short by a torn ACL — rose for a layup…An MRI revealed Codio had, in fact, suffered a torn ACL and meniscus in her right knee for the second year in a row.

Considering this was the 2nd time in as many years and to the same knee, I thought it likely they’d be very careful her freshman season. You’re right though, there’s been no indication that she’s planning to redshirt. If she is a true SG or even a hybrid G/W, I don’t see her racking up a lot of minutes this season with Aliyah, Sonya, Kyndall, Shay, Kobe, and Ndjakalenga probably ahead of her on the depth chart. That’s the second reason I thought she’d be a good candidate for a medical redshirt.

5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

In that it’s less than 5 months since the injury…..and assuming it was some amount of time between injury and surgery, it’s too short to think she’s back playing….much less with no brace. Did anyone actually see her moving around on the court…..or just a still photo? It’s still about 4 months until serious practice, so the jury is still out for me. Until Schaefer actually addresses it.

6. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Wonder woman if she can come in and do what is required in Vic's defense so soon after surgery. Kudos if she can pull it off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I will never understand LHN. Yesterday afternoon, they replayed our 2022 home game against ISU; no issues there.

Today, they are airing replays of our 2021 home games against Kansas State and Texas Tech? 2021? Really?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'll have to go back and look. Perhaps they weren't in practice drills. I do know that I never saw a brace on her leg in any full length photos posted on social media.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  9. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jacob Johnson

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I don't like flopping, but I think this is ******** to assess technical fouls. Officials should know the difference between a real foul or a fake one and either call the foul or not. We all know that women's basketball has some of the worst officiating on the planet, and IMO this just further complicates the game given their widespread incompetence.

• Agree Agree x 9
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'm more worried about smaller/slighter players like Rori (and Brooke before her). It doesn't take much force for a larger player to move them a good distance and, as @brnkj pointed out, WBB officials are often terrible at no-brainer calls so asking them to apply basic physics principles during a game is a high bar. Brooke drew more than a few calls just by being displaced significantly and those could now be interpreted as exaggerating the contact (aka 'flopping').

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Jacob Johnson

That’s where I believe training needs to come into play for officials since they are adding this new rule. It doesn’t take much for Harmon to get trampled and like you said my biggest worry is officials mistaking that for a flop. Vic is going to lose his mind when that happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

He'll be stomping so much fans would get both a basketball game and a Riverdance performance.

• Funny Funny x 7
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Aaliyah was very good from the FT line—>in last season, seems she’s been working on expanding her range…look out.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I would hope since a technical is involved, refs would be going to the monitor to confirm the flop. Not because I want the constant slowdown of review but because it's usually very obvious on replay review who's flopping and who's not. If they do a review, I'm not worried. We don't have floppers. Audrey wasn't a flopper. I realize the poster was making a joke, but she was sacrificing the body (too much IMO) every time she went down.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I told a friend early in this past season that eventually Amo will be a Tina Thompson type power forward. I stand by that statement.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  19. GoHorns22

GoHorns22 25+ Posts

Does anyone know if Morris has arrived yet?

20. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

On Instagram today she posted a photo of her in her graduation gown. So I'm assuming she's attending her graduation ceremonies at DePaul and will move to ATX in the not-so-distant future.

• Like Like x 6
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Gerlich might not be the only one who’s salty today…

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

What did Gerlich do today I missed it apparently? She can STAY salty for all I care

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I just assume she is - especially after losing a player to a coach who’s such an oppressor of women.

• Funny Funny x 4
  24. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Can’t ever blame a kid for wanting to win. Tech girls won’t even sniff the tournament this year while we have F4 aspirations.

Also funny how Tech fans call it slimey when someone leaves Lubbock for Austin but welcome Texas transfers with open arms…. As the kids say today “the math ain’t mathin” :lol:

• Funny Funny x 5
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not surprising that the Top 4 teams have the big, deep frontcourts. We are on their heels now!

Women's college basketball Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2022-23 (espn.com)

5. Texas Longhorns
    Previous: 4

In Rori Harmon, Texas has a player you don't want to take your eyes off, offensively or defensively, because she always seem on the verge of making something happen. As a freshman, she helped lead the Longhorns to the Big 12 tournament title for the first time since 2003. They made the Elite Eight for the second year in a row under coach Vic Schaefer. Are they ready for the next step: a Final Four trip for the first time since 2004? Harmon and Aliyah Matharu could lead the way. Transfers Sonya Morris (DePaul) and Taylor Jones (Oregon State) could be interesting additions. -- Voepel

• Like Like x 5
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That's Tech fans for you... entitled to think/say whatever they feel but quick to claim the victim role if anyone fires back. So "typical..."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Updated Scholarship Chart. Love the addition of Khadija but it does have me concerned about scholarship #s for the class of 2023. I know attrition is almost a given but, as it stands, there are no open scholarship slots and the Longhorns are still actively pursuing some members of that class (e.g. Breya Cunningham and Aalyah Del Rosario). As previously mentioned by someone in this thread, Abbie may or may not be coming in as a scholarship player though I find that unlikely but who knows, she may just want to play at Texas that badly.

upload_2022-6-15_7-33-33.png

• Like Like x 4
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When it comes to the roster for 2023-24, I realize we are using the official roster which lists Matharu as a Senior, and Kobe and Femme as juniors, for their classification. Regardless, all 3 would have one year of eligibility remaining if they choose to return as Super Seniors. Honestly, I don't believe Kobe nor Femme will return (if they complete their coursework and graduate from Texas next May). For Matharu, I think it all depends on what type of season she has on the court.

If we see hints out on social media that our coaching staff is still recruiting additional 2023 players, then we have scholarship openings. Over the last 2 weeks or so, both Sydney and Blair started following a lot of our previously-mentioned targets (like Hannah Hidalgo, Del Rosario, etc.). So, that tells me we are not done with the 2023 class.

The numbers are tight, no doubt. And, how many we sign for 2023 definitely affects our involvement with recruiting transfers in next year's offseason. What we do know is that it's a never-ending fluid cycle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wasn’t sure where this should be posted but very interesting (Big 12 that is, DGAF about Big 10)…

and where we are going…

• Like Like x 1
  30. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Interesting numbers in general, but the numbers are stale as it is from 2 years ago. Context is needed, including the 2020 season being shut down due to the pandemic.

• Agree Agree x 1