2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

You can gripe about UConn in 2024 when Albany, NY and Portland, OR host the Regionals . . . :p

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Aaliyah Moore one of the signed athletes

• Like Like x 5
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Okay, unlike a year ago, I haven't seen a tweet out there with a quote from Vic that he was having trouble scheduling non-conference home games because no one wanted to play his team in Austin! :p

So, what do we know?

- @ UConn
    - @ Arizona
    - Tennessee (home)

We're playing 3 games in the Bahamas Nov. 19-21 with the possible opponents being from Louisville, Tennessee, South Dakota State, Rutgers, UCLA, Marquette, and Gonzaga. I hope Tennessee is on the opposite side of the bracket since they're typically on our annual schedule already; obviously, we could possibly meet them if we both advance to the tourney championship game. For RPI purposes, would really like to play Louisville (ACC). UCLA was down last year, but still from a P5 conference. Rutgers and B1G usually have a bad RPI as a conference. Gonzaga was pretty solid last year. I'm sure Ndjakalenga would get a thrill in playing a team from her home state in South Dakota State.

Hope the SEC vs Big 12 challenge continues. We should be hosting this season; maybe South Carolina or LSU?

Been wondering who we will host to christen the Moody Center in the first home game. Opponents who would help draw in the fans would be Tennessee, South Carolina, and Stanford (although I don't get the feeling Tara will renew the series; hope to be wrong).

• Like Like x 4
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

FYI -- LHN is rebroadcasting the Big 12 tournament championship win over Baylor, tonight (Thursday) at 7 PM Central. Following that is the documentary about the "Lady Longhorns".

• Like Like x 5
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  6. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Moooo, the other day Big Ten Network aired Rutger's 1982 AIAW National Championship game over Texas. I was enamored with the style of play back then without the 3-pt line. Texas was leading at the half. Both teams played a 2-3 zone and packed the paint.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don’t get why they shrunk the others but left Rori at actual size…

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Our game at UConn will be very early in the season on Monday, November 14

• Like Like x 3
  9. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

It's laughable Connecticut truly believes playing at the Mohegan Sun is a neutral site. Same with Albany, NY.

10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Not sure they “believe” it but technically I guess that would be the correct term to use

11. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I'm really disappointed we don't get them in Austin for the inaugural season at Moody. It would have been an easy game to get the first WBB sellout.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2 takeaways from this:
    1. Vic looked like a discount brand mummy.
    2. Rori’s side eye game is almost as good as her ball handling.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

After today's news, updated scholarship chart:

upload_2022-7-7_14-40-24.png

14. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Now looking at the guard position, getting Shaylee is pretty much a must have at this point

• Like Like x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

“The GROWN woman program is down here.” :lmao:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Kyndall seems to have really worked on her ball-handling.

• Like Like x 15
  17. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Nice! Kyndall didn't have a "bad" handle last year. It just wasn't a "take it to the bank" type of handle that you need from your guards.

This young lady is impressive. She is showing maturity beyond her years, apparently realizing her playing time is totally under her control by stepping up her game, not by blaming others and taking her game to the portal. I hope it pays off for her this year because we need her.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Especially her shooting. She’s easily the best shooter on the team and we saw that last season she just had her freshman moments which is completely understandable. If she can work on her defense and decision making then the rest will take care of itself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

She had one great game last year. I don't think you can make this claim yet. I could go with "potentially the best shooter on the team", because I think she still has to prove it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed.... and I am hoping and believing that she will prove it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  21. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. I was really worried after she was benched that she would become another immature spoiled crybaby and transfer. Looks like she's showing great maturity unlike someone that left. And yes, we now desperately need her to spread the defense out with good 3 pt shooting.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Jacob Johnson

She definitely needs the opportunity but trust me, Hunter is the best pure shooter on the team. There are definitely things she needs to work on like her defense and decision making but you won’t have to worry about her shooting.

We have some good shooters but, if you tell them to line up and shoot ten 3 pointers Hunter is going to make the most but I definitely agree she needs to prove herself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Who has already purchased tickets to the Final Four in Dallas? Just curious. If everyone stays healthy and buys in to the concept of team-first, I think we might have our best chance to get there thanks largely to the influx of transfer talent.

24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Are tickets available? I plan to attend either way since I live in Dallas

25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I am not disagreeing with you here. But it is one thing to be a dead-eye shooter in practice, and another to take it to the floor in a live game. I absolutely love seeing Hunter putting in the work, and I suspect it is going to pay off to the greater pleasure of all of us.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Jacob Johnson

Most definitely. I get what you’re saying and I agree that she needs to prove she can do it consistently when the big lights come on. I expect her to see more minutes than last season and hopefully she can get comfortable to where she stays in the lineup. Playing in the big 12 we’re desperately going to need someone to light it up behind the arc when these teams play a zone against us.

• Like Like x 1
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I listed Gonzales as a senior though she does have 2 seasons of eligibility...

upload_2022-7-12_7-45-23.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I definitely feel better about the roster now. Strange how one addition changes the situation. Minutes are going to be tough for everyone. The balance looks good. Four guards….1 or 2 positions. Two guard/forwards…..3 position. Seven front court…..4 or 5 position. And some crossover potential. We’re done. I cant fathom another addition….unless someone transfers after second fall session. I guess that is a possibility with all the movement going on. I like this roster and hope it stays together.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Every time we try to convince ourselves there is no more roster movement, there ends up being more surprises (good and bad).

We have 2 scholarships remaining for this upcoming season. My greed has me holding out hope that Georgia grad-transfer and San Antonio native, PG Gabby Connally decides she wants to join our program with the intention of helping us make it the Final Four in Dallas, and a chance for her to play a lot of games in front of family and friends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Went back to look at when Texas released its 2021-22 non-conference schedule; it wasn't until September 10, 2021 :(

I forgot that Princeton perhaps owes us a return game this season.

Even though the home non-conference schedule probably won't have more than one or two Top 25 teams, at least those potential games in the Bahamas will test us and help our RPI/SOS. And, the games at Arizona and UConn are better than a lot of the games from last season.

So, if the series with Stanford continues, they would come to Austin, in addition to Tennessee. And, hopefully, we get an additional SEC/Big 12 Challenge game at home; South Carolina would be the ideal matchup (for the fans), and they played at home last season against Kansas State while we played at A&M. So, that home/away on alternate years would align for us and the Gamecocks, or maybe LSU.

Away:
    @ UConn (confirmed)
    @ Arizona (confirmed)
    @ Bahamas (possible games against Louisville, UCLA, and Tennessee)

Home (not necessarily confirmed):
    vs Tennessee
    vs Stanford
    SEC/Big 12 Challenge (South Carolina or LSU?)
    vs Princeton
    vs South Florida (I would think they still owe us a return game from Aston's last season)

• Like Like x 1