2022 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’ll try to edit this first post as new information becomes available.

Team - Coach - New Coach, Former Team
    • aggy - Gary Blair (ret.) - Joni Taylor (Georgia HC)
    • Arizona State - Charli Turner Thorne (ret.) - Natasha Adair (Delaware HC)
    • Central Florida - KAH (Georgia) - Sytia Messer (LSU Assoc HC)
    • Florida State - Sue Semrau (ret.) - Brooke Wyckoff (FSU Assoc HC)
    • Georgia - Joni Taylor (aggy) - Katie Abrahamson-Henderson (UCF HC)
    • Illinois - Nancy Fahey (ret.) - Shauna Green (Dayton HC)
    • Mississippi State - Doug Novak (interim) - Sam Purcell (Louisville Assoc HC)
    • Oklahoma State - Jim Littell (resigned?) - Jacie Hoyt (UMKC HC)
    • Syracuse - Vonn Read (interim) - Felisha Legette-Jack (Buffalo HC)
    • Virginia - Tina Thompson (term.) - Amaka Agugua-Hamilton (Missouri St. HC)
    • West Virginia - Mike Carey (ret.) - Dawn Plitzuweit (South Dakota HC)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  3. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

No surprise to any of us.

Unfortunately, 3 of my favorite players: Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes, and Tina Thompson have "not succeeded" in college coaching (though Cooper has done the best in wins of the three).

UVa fires Thompson as women's hoops coach

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

It would be a wonderful "coming home" story if Dawn Staley returned to Virginia, but I doubt UVA in the ACC could even come close to affording her salary. But it would be cool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

I'm sorry Thompson didn't succeed. I thought she did a good job with our post players when she was here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

One has to wonder if Lindsey Whalen may be on the hot seat at Minnesota. She has lost two highly touted guards in the last couple of years... first Pitts to Texas A&M and now Powell to Tennessee. Minnesota has had back-to-back losing seasons finishing 10th in the Big Ten both times.

7. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Peebley not far behind; however not confirmed yet

• Like Like x 1
  8. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Would not be surprised to see UVA target Gail G again. If IRC they went after her before hiring Boyle from Cal. Also as outside choices would not be surprised to see them offer Holly Warlick or KA as both have enjoyed previous success that UVA would be more than happy to have!

9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

10. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Tammi Reiss of Rhode Island will be the front runner for that job. She’s a Virginia grad and former WNBA player.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

O I just saw this thread.

I hate Tina didn't materialize. I thought the same thing that VA might try GG.

I wonder who will go after the assistant at A&M.

12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  14. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Littell out at Okie State

• WTF? WTF? x 5
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

A few days before Okie State plays their conference tourney game on Thursday. Harsh. Guessing he won't be coaching in KC ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

This is a head scratcher for me. They had a down year, but I always thought Littell was a good coach.....

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Doesn't make much sense to me, either. He was Big 12 COY last season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Mutually agreed to part ways? O.k.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Do you think Littell has another coaching opportunity?

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I realize every program loses players to the transfer portal. These are some of the ones OSU lost recently:

- Braxtin Miller (Ohio State)
    - Vivian Gray (Texas Tech)
    - Bryn Gerlich (Texas Tech)
    - Jaymee Asberry (Baylor)

Maybe more. I understand some of the above were for reasons out of Littell's control; but, that might not matter to the AD. Their talent level continues to dip.

Then, you see what bedlam rival OU did in season one under a new head coach. OSU also got passed by Kansas in the pecking order.

I think the same fate awaits Raegan Pebley at TCU.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  21. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Littell didn’t do himself any favors last week in a interview with a Tulsa newspaper. Pretty much admitted he hasn’t recruited in 2 years and knows his current team can’t score. Told them he was gonna put all his chips in the portal. Love his honesty, but that’s not you want to say publicly.

Look for Peebley to be reassigned rather than fired for what it’s worth.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Littell will coach OSU in the tournament so maybe that was the “mutually agreed” part

• Like Like x 1
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know these statements are made whenever coaches names are thrown around but I choose to believe this despite the fact it came from Bohls...

From the AAS today:
    2. Goodbye to Texas A&M. Texas’ Vic Schaefer cleared up one rumor that never quite went away: He’s not going to Texas A&M to replace Gary Blair, his former boss. “No, I’m not going to A&M,” Schaefer told me Tuesday. "The answer is I have a great job at the University of Texas, and I’m invested in the program at the University of Texas. I don’t plan on going anywhere.” Nor should he. The Aggies haven’t reached out to Schaefer, who is clearly a top-10 coach in women’s basketball, and how could they? If they could land him, sure, but they couldn’t take the embarrassment of offering him the job only to get rejected.

That being said - I'll breathe much easier once the sheep-humpers have officially hired their new coach.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I suspect Coach Yo from Ole Miss might be the one hired to replace Coach Blair... just a guess, nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Agree with you and DFW Horn. Seems like he stays. I can’t see him put this much effort into recruiting Jackson just to leave for Aggie. Lots of folks on Aggie forum wanting Yo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

So tell me about Coach Yo. I don’t know anything about her.

27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Up and coming coach who has set her program up to take over Mississippi now that Miss State has started to decline. Defensive minded coach who seems to really connect with players and recruits. She’d be on just about everyone’s short list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I haven't followed Ole Miss that much. But, a couple of years ago Coach Yo hired an assistant coach from the University of Maryland; shortly after, Shakira Austin transferred from Maryland to Ole Miss. Austin has been great, and really helped Ole Miss rise in the SEC. Not sure what talent they'll have next season, but Austin will be in the WNBA.

One NCAA appearance in her career; zero tourney wins:

Yolett McPhee-McCuin - Wikipedia

29. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Looks like Yo did a good job at Jacksonville and now at Miss. At each, her teams got better as the years went by. Austin for sure was a huge factor in success this year. I would have some doubt about turning over a program like Aggy….to someone with her record.

30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

In addition to Austin, I really like 2020 Madison Scott and she’s brought in some impact transfers.