2022 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

The voting panel were from other P5 head coaches. There were about 5 who are head coaches of top 20 teams. As far as resources goes, Texas is easily the best job we just need the fan base to step it up and then we can really say Texas is the best job. The moody center needs to sell out every game especially since It’s only 10,000 in the arena.

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wow. For those who don’t have a subscription to the Athletic, it’s pretty graphic and I doubt Cooper-Dyke ever coaches college ball again.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I encountered Cynthia once at an AAU event in Dallas... What an arrogant bbbest not to use that word.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Too graphic for me.

5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I do have an Athletic account and read through it. A lot of stuff you can't copy and paste onto this forum as it's pretty bad. I always heard rumblings about player abuse at all her stops, but then suddenly she'd get a new job elsewhere. The (flawed) logic was that if she was that bad, then one AD would tell the other. Wrong. It was "let me get her off my hands" sucker deal.

The AD's all looked bad, except the last one that finally started a true Title IX investigation. "I don't recall"? Pathetic.

6. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I wonder what the holdup is announcing (former Texas a&m assistant) Vernette Skeete as the new coach at Texas Southern (as noted in the article about Cynthia Cooper)? It was postponed without explanation Tuesday night and was supposed to have been today.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
  8. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I hope the quotes and events described nip in the bud comments about young players who are “overly sensitive” or “snow flakes.” There is a difference between tough and abusive. And in this case, there is no blurry line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The one about the player to turned against her friend because she didn't want to lose her scholarship made me wince. And now the shame she carries............

10. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

PSA it's Friday again. It would be a great day for an announcement about a coaching hire. :shrug: (impatiently waiting for news).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Me too... waiting (im)patiently for a word, or even a crumb of information.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

I usually hear "something", even if it's a rumor, but they are keeping this one hush-hush.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Man, you absolutely gotta love Vic! Always giving back to the profession. From what I can find, this appears to be a coaching clinic on South Padre where Vic is easily the headliner. When is the last time you've seen someone use an overhead projector with transparencies?

Here's the itenarary:

https://www.spibasketballclinic.com/south-padre-island-basketball-clinic

• Like Like x 5
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If Vic doesn't publicly name at least one new assistant coach this week . . .

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Apparently the NCAA is about to approve a rule in which at least one support staff member, possibly 2, will be considered coaches. That may be what the delay is and if approved I would think Blair will be one of those picks. Just speculating at this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

This would be allowed in addition to the 3 existing assistants? Or would replace an assistant spot?

17. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Not sure if we'll hear anything this week. Vic was in SA last night for the TexasExes "Texas Fight tour" going on in select major Texas cities through the 18th. I wasn't able to make it, but it appears from reports I found that it was just a pep rally and chance for the major sport coaches to repeat their usual talking points and colloquialisms. However, I did find it interesting to note that the only Texas coach who consistently is willing to appear in public wearing burnt orange is the one that graduated from A&M! Maybe our other coaches need to take their cues from Vic. If anyone on this board can make it to one of these, maybe you can ask Vic in person when we might hear about his hires? The coaches apparently will pose for photos and visit with fans.

Here's the link for the remaining events:

Texas Fight Tour

• Like Like x 1
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I was planning on going to the one in Fort Worth. I doubt I'm bold enough to ask Vic about his coaching hires but I was going to suggest, at least, listing some of the 'verified' nonconference opponents on the website or in the communications to fans about season tickets.

Amen on the burnt orange gear. I saw a few pics from the SA event and Vic is the only coach sporting the team's colors.

• Like Like x 1
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

@BALL IS LIFE I was wondering the same thing... will these be one (maybe two) ADDITIONAL "coaching" positions?

20. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Kind of up in the air proposal right now. They would technically be considered support staff but be considered “on court staff”. I assume that means they get the perks of coaches as far as recruit contacts and such

• Like Like x 3
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Possible - she coaches bigs, seems to be a very good recruiter and she played for Vic at aggy. That would be kind of rough for Johnnie to lose her 2nd assistant this offseason, this one to a close friend.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I thought the same thing. But, Buchanan played her high school basketball in Houston. If it's a priority of hers to return to the state of Texas to be closer to family, I'm sure Harris would understand that. Obviously, just speculation on my part.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Buchanan looks like a Great addition!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Hope everyone understand just how close Jhonnie and Vic really are. If coach D is even considering coming to Austin she’s Vic’s first call and he’d want her blessing. But even more likely, I’m sure it would happen the other way around where Jhonnie (who I’ve always heard referred to as “selfless”) knows coach D would get more notoriety and visibility in Austin.

• Like Like x 2
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I saw this in The Athletic about some changes under consideration:
    • Personnel limitations: This change would eliminate the limit on the number of coaches who may be employed by an institution, and it may or may not be paired with a concept to eliminate all personnel designations (volunteer coach, grad assistant, analyst, etc.). Schools could pay for as many full-time assistant coaches as they can afford. And little things like who is or isn’t allowed to wear a headset during games wouldn’t matter anymore.
    • Team financial aid limits: This may not be fully fleshed out until later in the summer because it would require corresponding legislation regarding limits on roster size by sport. But the idea would be that conferences or schools could decide to offer as many full scholarships for as many sports as they can afford. If you really want to be good at baseball, you can put every single player on the baseball roster on a full scholarship. The thinking behind this idea is simply: If college athletics is supposed to be about opportunities for young adults, then why are there arbitrary caps on team financial aid in any sport? If you can afford it, you can do more. This would be a significant shift for a league like the SEC, whose schools are set to receive more money than anyone else in annual distributions from media rights deals and sponsor fewer sports than their peers in the Big Ten or Pac-12. Basically, the idea is schools could decide which sports they want to invest most in to be nationally competitive. Maybe that’s a tough decision or conversation, but isn’t that better than capping opportunities for athletes in certain sports at some arbitrary aid amount to create the illusion of an equal playing field?
    Full Article:
    Inside the NCAA's summer of change ahead

• Like Like x 3
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  28. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

One can hope. We need another guard and at 5’10 she would start at the 3 spot.

1. Harmon
    2. Matharu
    3. Spear
    4. Moore
    5. Jones

That lineup is capable of going all the way. First step is her entering the portal so everyone cross their fingers and manifest:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It's unfortunate for any potential outgoing/incoming transfers that Wake Forest decided to terminate their head coach after the May 1 deadline to enter the transfer portal and be immediately eligible for the coming season. Now, any transfers will have to submit waiver requests.

It is definitely a smart move for any current WF players to enter the transfer portal as soon as possible; the timing of these events could help with their waiver requests (if they end up deciding on transferring to new school) being approved. They could always choose to remain at WF after the new coaching staff is hired.

30. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Calculated move by Wake Forest to wait until after the date to enter the portal and transfer without having to sit one year or take a chance on a waiver approval?