2022 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We're all speculating about coaching candidates; and, it's kind of fun to discuss options. So, my question is why would Vic hire Sydney Colson over Sydney Carter as an assistant coach? Both are the same age. But, it's Carter whose been in the coaching profession longer than Colson, right?

Not that it's required at this moment, but have we heard any info that Colson is set to retire from the WNBA at the end of the season? Did that article give anyone the impression that she is ready to hang it up as a professional player? Upcoming retirement is the reason why I believe Sue Bird is as likely a candidate as anyone else (since there haven't been many names thrown out at all).

2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I don’t know that Colson is ready to retire have not read that anywhere but she’s been in and out of the WNBA for over a decade. I’m just thinking she might want something more stable and ready to move on to the next phase of her career.
    If Sue Bird ends up at Texas I’d be thrilled as can be but I wouldn’t be at all disappointed if it’s Colson. They are both on teams that will make the playoffs so stay tuned if it’s one of those two it’ll be a little while longer to find out. September 20th is the last possible Finals date

• Like Like x 2
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

All good questions and I have no answers. For me, it's just the fun of speculation and the summer boredom.

I would be surprised if Colson hasn't given some thought as to what she will do after her WNBA career comes to an end. In the article posted by @HornView, it mentioned that Colson's minutes have been dwindling. Additionally, in Colson's IG post from May 5th, she expressed that she was happy and relieved she wasn't cut by the Aces "because she has been getting cut a lot". It is unknown when she will retire and what she plans on doing after she retires but her connections to Vic and the current staff would make the transition to Texas easy.

Colson was first on my radar in May when Coach Lovato posted an IG story of Sydney Carter in a photo shoot on a set that spelled out the words "Texas". She inadvertently tagged Sydney Colson rather than Sydney Carter. Lovato later corrected it. It was odd to me because Lovato does not follow Colson so tagging Colson would have been intentional rather than a "spell check" error. I've since wondered if that was a bread crumb rather than an error.

As a basketball icon, Sue Bird would certainly be a big hire and would make a big splash. Although it's taking a long time to announce the hire, I feel more confident that the decision has been made and there are circumstances surrounding the person that the announcement cannot be made until a later date.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Viewed Dom Dillingham's twitter account. Over the last several weeks, she's liked mainly Virginia Cavaliers football-related tweets, and ACC tweets. Nothing about Texas (in any sport). So, I think it's safe to assume she is no longer part of the staff.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For all intent and purposes, the month of July is over (as far as Texas releasing any official statements on a weekend). So, will August bring any news of one or both assistant coach positions?

9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Simply amazing. Who would have thunk it? I think your theory about WBNA player(s) transitioning is correct. I can’t think of another logical reason why it’s August and no coaches. Guess it could be a contract ending but that seems far fetched. So for me….which WNBA player is it. The identified suspects seem good projections.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m wondering if lack of coach had any bearing on decommitment of Wagner?

11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I doubt that very seriously... more like a realization.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ok...there was 1 open listing for assistant coach for months. I think we all assumed that one requisition could be used for both positions (we do this all the time at work). Evidently another posting was opened Friday. This could indicate there's 1 hiring imminent and they opened the 2nd req for a candidate to come later.
    upload_2022-8-1_7-28-12.png

Also, the posting for Associate Director, Communications has been removed - meaning someone is about to be/has been hired unless this new position was eliminated before it was filled (unlikely).

• Like Like x 3
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Coach Beard sure did handle the men's assistant coach very oddly (at least to me). Even though the outgoing assistant coach left like in late March, apparently Beard didn't post the job opening until like middle of last week (as tweeted out by AAS Brian Davis). Then, word leaked out on social media on Friday that a UNLV assistant coach had been hired; guess it will be announced this week.

So, although not identical situations, maybe we'll get word this week of one hiring as DFW_Horn noted some "movement" in the job postings.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  16. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Kinda leery about a player no matter how good she is , stepping right into coaching. Wait and see I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Didn’t Tiffany Jackson try that “stepping right into coaching”…..and left after one year?

18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'm beginning to think a WNBA coach might be a possibility.

19. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

DFW…..I’ve had my biased blinders on. Thinking about a WBNA player transitioning to college game. Very logical and possible. You’ve brought up another possibility….a WBNA coach (head or assistant). Perhaps. And since it is a slow period (year) for coaching news…..this speculation is as good as other diversion. Anybody have a candidate in the WBNA coaching ranks?

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Several weeks ago I recall one of our staff members (or players) following Vickie Johnson out on social media. When I saw that she was the head coach of the Dallas Wings, I just blew it off.

21. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I don’t watch the Wings too often. The team is hard to watch. However, Vickie Johnson seems to be a good coach. And reasonably communicable and personable. She’s dealt with a lot of injuries, difficult players, etc and they are 13-16. Would be strange to see a head coach take an assistant college job. Don’t remember her career path but it hasn’t been easy. She might like a solid assistant head coach job under Schaefer.

22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

The current LA Sparks interim head coach Fred Williams is headed to Auburn after the season ends as an Assistant

• Like Like x 1
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That's a good hire by Johnnie Harris.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Recent 2024 visitor, Adhel Tac started following Nikki McCray on Instagram, and vice versa. She also started following Sydney Colson on Instagram. Both these names have been mentioned in this thread as possible assistant coach hires . . .

• Like Like x 4
  27. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Nikki McCray was hired as an assistant coach at Rutgers about a month ago.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Thanks. I checked her social media and did some searches before my post last night, and it never showed up that she was currently employed anywhere.

29. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Really nuts. Practices and team activities well underway and still no asst. coaches news.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Betcha the staff is already chosen, and extenuating circumstances are what's holding the announcements. To me, this indicates that we may see some very interesting choices. I trust Vic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1