2022 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Which position group is being most affected? Hope it's not our bigs.

2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

4 months = 1/3 of the year without a full staff

3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m with Mooo. It just HAS to be a WBNA or two players. I cant come up with any logical extenuating circumstances other than that. Most Teams will be completing their seasons in next 2-4 weeks so I think that’s the timing. With next semester starting like August 22 ?, then that’s when we’ll know. Or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

WNBA got rid of the single game playoff rounds this year so Round 1 is best of 3 and Rounds 2 and 3 are best of 5. So the playoffs could last as long as September 20th

• Like Like x 2
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Vic's recent staffs have had some competent and experienced assistants (a couple who had extended tenure with him) who have moved on to either head coach or associate head coach positions. With that type of movement, perhaps Vic is at a place where he's choosing to assemble a staff that he can develop and one that will be in place for an extended period. I'm with the rest of you who say the WNBA is the only thing I can think of that, at this point in the year, could be holding up announcements.
    Also... perhaps there is still some restructuring and/or approvals going on that will allow Blair to be named as an assistant coach.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

On one hand, that is reasonable. On the other hand, that might have been what Karen Aston was thinking after Jalie Mitchell, Travis Mayes, and Tina Thompson left for head coaching jobs. She ended up hiring very inexperienced assistant coaches like Jamie Carey and Tiffany Jackson. She later ended up losing her job, and I still believe her program's decline had to do with her hiring decisions.

Even though George Washington stayed with her the entire time, his inexperience was definitely questionable despite bringing Lashann Higgs (adopted daughter) and Jordan Hosey. Looking back, I don't think it was worth the risk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Very good points! I have to agree that Karen's hiring decisions was a major issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Could Vic have been waiting to hire Marlene Stollings? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don’t want to get into another round of Aston-bashing but there is a big difference when it comes to Karen vs Vic. Karen had a ‘style of play’ while Vic has…call it what you want: a culture, an established identity, whatever. If he wants to promote his daughter into an assistant coaching job, fine. If he wants to bring in a WNBA coach or player, fine. Some WNBA players have been getting coaching experience on NBA teams during the offseason rather than play overseas, Kristi Tolliver immediately comes to mind, so it’s not like there isn’t a good pool of candidates still available.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

I don't know why so many of you are wasting your time on this topic. The assistant coaches will be announced when they are hired.

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If things were that simple and cut and dry, I'd assume he would have already named her in that position and not waited 4 months. If he's been trying to get around the nepotism rules that have been in place long before he was hired by Texas, I don't agree with that tactic.

13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm glad someone (you) said this! I was thinking the same thing but just didn't have the time or energy to get into it. Again, I trust Vic and therefore I don't worry about much of anything while the program is under his watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I know this isn't an asst. coaching gig, but it looks like this spot just got filled (Associate Director of Athletics Communications for WBB and WGolf). Wasn't there a new job posting at one point for a marketing person to help WBB? I don't think this hire is for that:

• Like Like x 2
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

This was the posting that stopped appearing on the UT jobs site a few days ago. Coming from Indiana: Assistant Director of Strategic Communications (Women's Soccer, Softball, Women's Tennis)

• Like Like x 1
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sylvia Fowles doesn’t seem to be a coaching candidate…

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Maybe the new assistant coaches are going to be current WNBA assistant coaches and not current WNBA players. Either way, we've waited 4 months; what's another 2 weeks or so? Agony!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I just combed through all the WNBA rosters earlier this evening thinking that very same thing. :idk:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

As a new Funeral Director and Embalmer myself, I'm hopeful Fowles will do great things in the field. However, I fundamentally disagree with her assertion about why "everyone is scared of death".

20. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

From the begin when the coaching openings occurred, I was worried about the ability to recruit from the portal. But now with them having brought in quality players from the portal with the openings still not being filled, I quit worrying about. If Gonzalez, Morris, Jones, and Faye obviously weren't worried about who the coaches were going to be then I'm not going to either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think they were told who the new hires are going to be.

22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I think they come to play for Vic. They probably know assistant coaches come and go a lot more than Head coaches.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  23. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Who’s they??o_O

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Someone had posted on another message board that Latasha left because April Phillips left (as Phillips was the reason why she had shown interest in Texas in the first place one year ago); so, assistant coaches do play a huge role in attracting players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m not denying assistant coaches make a difference but I dare say it’s not the majority. There are 14 current examples on the roster

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  26. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Well……Nothing kept Latasha from following April out west…..

• Like Like x 3
  27. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

It’s probably something in the resumes of the Miami assistant coaches that I’m overlooking that did

28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Maybe he’s waiting for a candidate with sous chef experience as well?

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Right... totally opposite directions. Whatever reason caused her to leave, let THAT be the reason we wish her well and move on while continuously upgrading our roster.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Seems like Vic, Blair and Schaefer family are on vacation. Guessing no coaching hire announcement for at least another week at the earliest.