2022 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yes

2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, Sue Bird is done playing as the Storm knocked out by the Aces the other night. Sydney Colson still playing with the Aces another 2 weeks or so. Just saying . . . :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Aari McDonald will be director of recruiting operations at her Alma mater Arizona. Will continue to play for the Atlanta Dream

4. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Very happy to see Becky Hammon & the Aces doing so well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Sydney Colson's reply to Sydney Carter's Longhorn football game photo just doesn't scream to me that Colson is coming to join Vic's staff:

"Hate that but love you"

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

On a Sunday night, while smiling for not having to think about Monday morning commute meetings and work, I have all these 1980’s and 1990’s business concepts going unused. So that Harvard Business School and my company’ s California culture gurus get proper and due credit, I am going to walk back one of the ugliest …..and trust this message board to be kind. I want to propose a “paradigm shift” in my thinking of these coaching hires. Sorry. Up until now I have been thinking of these home run hires that will make all Horns message board posters go bananas. Now, I’m thinking small potatoes. Rather than Sue Bird or other luminaries, I think the hires will be someones we have never heard of. Maybe a junior high volleyball coach from Dumas….or a track coach form Robstown. Why not? As good a guess as any……and with expectations so low, I’ll be ecstatic with anybody. So I’m excited about next week’s announced hires. So that completes my duty to use paradigm shift……never again to be used by me. . I sure we never got value from whatever was paid for its use. And I still don’t know who the coaches will be, It’s a slow Sunday night and the Cowboys look terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Worked with Gus.

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

It’s a Sunday during the NFL regular season, can’t the 2nd half of that sentence be assumed? ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Yay!!!

She’ll be working with the post players.

• Like Like x 12
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I remember her as a player at Purdue... very solid power forward.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Here's a bit of a dated interview from when she got her first coaching gig.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'm curious how many Hornfans super sleuths had her on their radar. I can't recall even once seeing her name associated with our job opening(s), but I could very well have forgotten seeing it.

13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Not me. Purdue and Boston College are foreign nations.

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Can anyone explain the delay in naming a former assistant at BC? Did a WNBA player/coach fall through?

15. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

We will probably never know. She does have some coaching experience and played in the WNBA and overseas. There are two openings, correct? So how long will we have to wait for the other shoe drop? Will it be Blair?

• Like Like x 1
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If she can coach post players to play the way she did (tough, physical, active, solid scorer, rebounder, defender, shot-blocker, passer) then she should be a really good fit to teach our bigs the way Vic wants them to play. I like the hire... I trust Vic.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  17. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I totally don't understand it, unless it had something to do with the terms of her BC contract. Anyway, it's nice to welcome her a board!

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She brings 7 years of experience coaching at Purdue; 2 seasons coaching at Wisconsin; and 1 season coaching at Boston College. So, that's more than if Vic had tried to promote someone internally who is much less qualified. And, obviously, she's had great success as a player at many different levels.

From a recruiting perspective, most likely has no connections in the state of Texas, California, or the southeast which are the areas we recruit the most. So, let's hope our final assistant coach does have those connections.

No offense to those programs, but each seemed like a step down from the prior one (unless she was making moves for personal/family reasons). BC has had no NCAA post-season history and neither does Wisconsin. While at Purdue, the program did finish in the Top 32 three of seven seasons.

What can I conclude by the timing of this hire? I don't believe that she's an assistant coach we had to wait for 5 months to make a decision. Lindsay's twitter account shows photos of her in July with the BC recruiting staff. Either Vic didn't start the hiring process until just recently, or he was waiting many months for a decision from a different candidate who decided not to accept the job in the end. Deja vu' like last summer, IMO.

Regardless, our players deserve to have a full coaching and support staff 12 months in the year. You can't be a program that brags about immense resources if you aren't providing them every day. Nothing good comes out of being short-staffed the last 5 months, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Looking at Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton's instagram account, nobody from Texas started following her until today (Blair, Elena, Sydney Carter, Aaliyah Moore, Jordana Codio). So, this was purposely being kept a secret out on social media until the announcement was made official.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Now I wonder if Blair's Tweet on September 2nd about it "being a great day with really special guests--Longhorn Nation lookout" was in reference to meeting Lyndsay and the indication that she accepted the AC position.

• Like Like x 2
  21. utwheels86

utwheels86 25+ Posts

I remember her well as a player at Purdue. Very solid hire and a wonderful addition to our staff

• Like Like x 2
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

And most likely (hopefully) she will hang around for a while.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She was hired by Boston College on April 30, 2021. So, if she did have a contract, it was most likely for 12 months, or until the end of the academic year (August 2022).

Looks like she was just named the recruiting coordinator at BC on June 9, 2022. She was not the recruiting coordinator her 2 seasons at Wisconsin, nor while at Purdue. So, it surprises me she gets that title/responsibility at Texas.

For those who don't remember, Texas freshman, Jordana Codio had been committed to Wisconsin prior to their coach being terminated in Spring 2021; so, I'm guessing she and Wisdom-Hylton are familiar with each other in some capacity.

Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton - Women's Basketball Coach - Boston College Athletics (bceagles.com)

• Like Like x 1
  24. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Solid hire, I remember her from Purdue and his physical she was. Very good for the particular set of post players we have now as they all had the same build and similar playing styles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Vic has had four staff members leave in the past two seasons, three of whom accepted HC positions and the other a AHC positon. This doesn't include Lovato who took a break for personal reasons and returned... and has returned to his staff several times over the course of her coaching career. This shows that Vic hires REALLY GOOD people. With the hire of our new assistant, perhaps Vic thoroughly sifted through candidates and found the best fit, best qualified, ready to be groomed over a number of years and not ready for a HC position any time soon. I'm not going to hyperventilate over how he chooses his staff or how long it takes. Clearly he knows what he's doing.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  26. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Yes, this is similar to my thoughts. Vic needed to balance finding the best fit right now with not having to do this again next summer. Sidney and Blair appear to have been doing a great job helping fill gaps over the summer. That should help them prepare to move up the coaching ladder.
    Edit: I would not be shocked if Vic asked for/required a multi-year commitment.

• Agree Agree x 4
  27. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I have never quite understood all the hand ringing over asst coaching positions. I mean….the man has made the ELITE 8 in his first two years and is getting better and better. That’s plenty enough for me to see he knows what he’s doing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Wisdom-Hylton may very well stay at Texas for many years. But, the fact remains that Texas is her fourth employer in the last 5 years.

29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Just wondering, since I haven't done any investigative research on the matter, if any of those moves were due to:
    a. The changing of a HC
    b. An opportunity to change to a more preferred role (responsibilities)
    c. A step up to a major conference.
    d. All of the above
    Again, I don't know and not really worried about it. Assistant coaches move around until they find a place that suits them the best. Head coaches do it also... just not quite as often. Not to mention we now see players doing it all the time.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

They absolutely do move around for different reasons; and, rarely do we as fans become aware of the exact reasons why assistant coaches leave (other than a promotion, retirement, etc.). So, the same could apply if/when Wisdom-Hylton decides to leave Texas. No guarantee she stays long-term. So, anyone predicting her tenure at Texas right now is simply guessing. What we do know is that she is not opposed to moving from one job to the next.

• Agree Agree x 1