2022 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

@mooo was the main hand ringer. And even with one of the coaches finally being named he/she still seems to be hand ringing. I guess they're not that impressed with the hire. And was expecting another April Phillips type of hire pulled from the hat after waiting this long, but to each their own.

I don't understand why Vic does some of things he does interms of the time table to hire coaches etc, but as you said, the proof is in pudding. So I'll just wait and see how her hire works out. Whether it's on the court with player development or with recruiting.

• Like Like x 4
  2. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Yes, we may not know all the facts, but Wisdom-Hylton's job moves look fairly transpararent.
    • 2012-2019. 7 yrs as an assistant at her alma mater Purdue. By then it was clear that the program under Head Coach Versyp was stagnating and likely to trend down. A reasonable time for Lindsay to look for another opportunity to advance her career.
    • 2019-2021. 2 years at Wisconsin at which time Head Coach Tsipis was fired. End of that job.
    • 2021-2022. 1 season at Boston College
    • Sept 2022. Hired by Texas. Not that I'm biased, but this looks like an excellent career choice.
    Yes, we cannot possibly know how long Wisdom-Hylton will be with Texas. I think it is reasonable to suppose that Vic really, really does not want to spend every summer trying to replace his entire coaching staff and that he is doing his best to prevent that.

Sure, we can all guess wrong. Just as folks guessed wrong all summer long about when the assistant coach positions would be filled and by whom.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not that I care what you think about my posts and opinions, but the proper spelling is "hand wringer".

Regardless, you can rest assured that I will continue posting my opinions and thoughts on this fan forum as I don't require any other posters' approval. And, you can continue reading them and complaining about them just like you're doing now.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  4. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

You obviously care, or you would not have responded. Whatever the spelling is, you get point. And for someone who knows how to spell so well your reading comprehension isn't very good if you think that I'm complaining. Just calling it how I see it.

You were more worried about the assistant coaching hires than head coach was. And now when he makes a hire, you're nit picking at it. When you of all people should be the happiest. But I'll just stick to my reading and complaining. And you can continue snoop social media accounts and let us know what's going on.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If you weren't complaining, what was the purpose of your post? Just own it.

6. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Those are perfectly natural reasons to move to another position and raise zero red flags for me whatsoever.

BTW, Texas is her 4th employer in 10 years not 5

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Boy, a little delusional. Maybe you're sleep deprived from snooping. But.... back on topic. Wisdom-Hylton seems to be a solid hire don't you think?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Bingo!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My point exactly!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

So since this hire was totally unexpected, what should we expect for the final hire? I'm starting to think our WNBA theory isn't correct. Instead, I think Vic's just really, really taking his time and doing it his way (which you can't argue with the results he gets). But he's running out of time and he's going to have to take another coach from another program at the last minute, which I'm sure the other programs don't appreciate. I think the next coach will likely coach guards, but at this point, who knows who it will be. I was convinced it was Sydney Colson, but as Moooooo pointed out, her instagram comment about Sydney Carter posing with Bevo the other day didn't seem like something you'd see from a future TexasWBB hire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

upload_2022-9-14_14-32-32.jpeg

Blair’s position at DBO has been filled and she’s still on staff.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I've said "Vic gonna Vic" all along.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

So who is the DBO then? Current Staff Directory shows Blair. Sydney not shown for some reason, but she's listed elsewhere as "Director of Player Development". Is he filling another Asst. job or DBO?
    2022-23 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Texas Athletics

14. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

In the link you provided, look at the gray banner under Blair's name. The gray shaded area lists Christy Smith as the Director of Operations. There is no photo or bio for her yet.

15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Christy Smith was hired as the Director of Operations though never formally announced. I have a feeling that will be rolled into whatever announcement is made about Blair.

16. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Sleep deprived!!! ROFLMAO……. @kurupt …..I only know ONE SUPER FAN that ATTACKS her FANaticism with the vim, vigor and zest of @Moooooo, and she is literally ALL OVER the arena from sideline to sideline winning sprinting and long distance races to garner every morsel of information about players, fans and coaches, and her name starts with an “M” as well. Hmmmm….I wonder…lol…. Listen @Moooooo….every person on here is impressed with and appreciative of your research, dedication and sleuthing capabilities. It’s actually Sherlock Holmes level. We appreciate all you do, but Vic’s success speaks for itself, and as @Sangre Naranjada stated….Vic gonna Vic. With TWO ELITE EIGHTS in his first two years, I have zero concerns about asst coaches, the time frame for hiring, or who it is. The man’s an elite coach and propelling this program to new heights.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m a little confused. LWH is assistant coach AND recruiting coordinator at Texas. In reviewing the BC website, it appears to me from reading that she was assistant coach for one year. Then recruiting coordinator starting in June 2022. I don’t believe she was both assistant coach AND recruiting coordinator at BC. So why did she move to recruiting coordinator alone? This is primarily based on news release. If someone can show me the dual responsibilities, I would be grateful. Also, if assistants get credit for programs successes (see all press releases), don’t they get responsibilities for downsides of programs? Purdue and Wisconsin struggled. LWH may turn out to be tremendous and I hope she does. This is not the home run hire. We ALL trust Schaefer on personnel and players but that is not the question or the answer. Go LWH !

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

So does that mean all done now? No more positions to fill?

19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Technically there is an assistant coaching spot open.

20. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

"Also, if assistants get credit for programs successes (see all press releases), don’t they get responsibilities for downsides of programs? " Fair question. I don't think there is an easy, one-size fits all answer. Assistants have different roles at different schools and in different positions at the same school. An assistant may be very good at some things and not so good at others. Skills and personality need to fit the particular job. The very best assistant may not be able to elevate a program if the head coach is an obstacle to success. And then some schools just do not seem to promote success regardless of the head coach.

"This is not the home run hire." Hmm. I guess fans were expecting a splashy hire because of the wait. Here's what I am thinking. Vic was the "home run" hire. His assistants do not each need to be home run hitters. They need, as a unit, to fulfill different parts of the coaching and administrative unit to help Vic put a championship quality team on the floor year after year. LWH could be just the right person for what Vic needs as part of the staff puzzle. I don't know if LWH was Vic's first choice or final fall-back choice. Either way, I wish the best success to LWH to make the very best of her opportunity and help Texas create banner-raising teams.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Very well said Hoopsalot. For sure am hoping LWH does a great job. If she had been hired 3 months ago, we would have not had all the time to speculate. I’m moving forward to waste my time on something else. Last comment……whether she was first choice is now irrelevant. My child bride is a good example. I know I was not her first choice and I’m scared to ask whether I was last.But 44 years later, she’s allowed me to stay. Go get em LWH.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

I think that technically you were the last....unless something changes in the future...:) Not saying it's a bad thing...

• Like Like x 4
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

This is true, but engaging in the speculation, or not, was still a choice.

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Or maybe it is. Just because we don't recognize it as such, doesn't mean that it isn't... that remains to be seen. I've said it before and I'll say it again, whomever Vic hires as any of his position coaches are going to be people who can teach it the way he wants it done, and thus far he's done a good job of hiring those who can.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  25. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Just a personal theory I have but that spot may remain open if Blair can’t be hired as an assistant due to nepotism. If that spot is open then Coach can designate a support staff to fill in as a coach. Blair could then be a coach (not in name) though. If this is the case it’s a pretty smart way to go around the system.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Vic's first media availability before last season was on 9/23. So maybe we'll get one this week and he can explain some things like the unfilled asst. coach position and what in the world is going on with the non-conf. schedule.

• Like Like x 2
  27. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Turns out Vicki Johnson might be available. Wings announced they opted not to exercise the option on her contract. I’m surprised

• Like Like x 7
  28. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

DMNews today had a long article about Vickie Johnson firing. She says she was “shocked”. The theory that she had an agreement with Schaefer sounds far fetched.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I know I’m shocked and did not see it coming, which is why I was so adamant that I didn’t think she’d be headed to Texas. Perhaps the new Wings hire will shed more light but I’m not sure there’s a Becky Hammon right now. Kristi Tolliver has been an NBA Assistant for 5 years and in the W for twelve comes to mind but I’m not sure she’s ready to end her playing days. It appears she’s well respected in the NBA. Maybe someone on the staff of the top 3 or 4 finishers this year has the answer.
    It’s a head scratcher to me I would have bet money VJ had at least another year left

30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

VJ probably was quietly on the hot seat due to not playing Collier and Kuier who were #1 and #2 in draft two years ago. They are not ready to play in WBNA and may never be. Plus Sabally came in late and was hurt and only played in 11 games. Plus Harrison publically questioning strategy was not helpful. It didn’t help that Burton wasn’t ready and Ogunbawale getting hurt late too. The front office drafts were not VJ’s primary fault but all rolled in together meant she couldn’t survive. Cant fire all the players…..and the front office isn’t going to fire themselves…..so the coach is it. All this is noise but also says she isn’t the coach Schaefer has targeted.