2022 Draft Thread Tracker

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by aUTfan, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Tech’s Ace was drafted already. As was Jung.

:tech:

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

He coached 10-12 years in Corsicana before coming to Texas. I think that is his only Juco experience other than he played juco ball somewhere around the trio (Cisco, Ranger, Eastland)

3. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

well, he spent 10 seasons as Texas' pitching coach, and according to his bio was at Navarro for 13 years. Waxahachie used to always have a strong baseball program.

4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hmmmmmm. Still, not the sort of background we like to see in a Sooner Coach. We traditionally own Greater Houston baseball recruiting. OU is trying to stake their claim as the top dog in DFW baseball recruiting. And they have the coach who might could pull it off.

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

BUt, but, but we hired Pierce because of his recruiting prowess?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Its looking more and more likely that Belyeu and Cox will fall into our lap.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We’ll need both of them. Plus Hodo and/or Kennedy to return. Campbell might move to infield—where he’s played before. If we get all that, our lineup will still be quite good.

Nobody should expect a repeat of last year’s offensive production—that was ridiculous. Still, we could have a well-above-average batting lineup if the pieces fall into place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He’s done pretty well. Locking down Houston and DFW probably isn’t even possible in this day and age.

9. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I think Hodo can make it in the majors and fairly quickly, he sees the ball too well. Kennedy could use a little more time, he could improve his draft stock tremendously with a good year and with so many bats gone, he would get a lot of at bats next year, something for him to think about.

Also of note, Tanner Witt, looks like the article I saw was wrong and i'm glad for it.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Particularly Houston, where so many are oil company transplants. That said, there is one commitment, that should it hold, will rattle a lot of cages around Disch Falk. I am too stunned to be pissed.

• Hot Hot x 1
  11. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Which one is that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. I think Kennedy's injury is working against him in the eyes of the scouts. If he's back in the Disch next year, he could hit 0.333+ with around 15 homeruns. That's just a tad more than what he would've had if he played a full year last year.

I'd expect Campbell to bat over 0.300 (around what he batted the 2nd half of the season last year) and to ding around 15 homeruns.

Ace Whitehead--0.333+ (maybe even higher) and 15+ homeruns.

If an incoming catcher beats out Schuster, then Schuster might get a look at DH. Schuster bats over 0.300 and hits homeruns at a pretty good clip.

We've got to fill in the other spaces in the lineup with guys whose batting averages don't suck, and who have at least some power. Cox and Belyeu both look promising.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wait & see if it holds. I'm on the warpath, but I really can't blame the parents. If it was my kid, not sure I wouldn't do the same.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It's tough to come back from a Tommy John surgery. Happens all the time, but it's not easy. It's taken DuPlantier a long time--he's just now looking like he's really "back".

15. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

UGH....for what its worth, i think Woody was a great hire. I don't know what Rodriguez can do, guess we will see. Hiring Pierce shocked me to be honest but oh well. His decision to put Allen as the pitching coach was a bonehead mistake and it cost Allen his job, to me it was a red flag indicating some poor decision making by Pierce. Even still, he deserves another year but he only gets a year by year pass from me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I'm not happy seeing all these high draft picks committed to out of state teams, Miss St. (Jett Williams), Arkansas (Cole Phillips)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I saw a good bat from Schuessler but I don't think hes going to beat out the transfer and may not beat out Galvin from Sinton defensively. If Schuessler doesn't he can probably play 1st base or DH. Man there are a lot of question marks for next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. I think Schusler will bat over 0.300 with plenty of homeruns, so we've got to find a way to get him in the every day lineup. It doesn't look like we've settled on a first baseman, so maybe Schussler could go there?

Ace Whitehead could play any outfield position, or DH. I could be all wet on this, but I think he'll be the big star at the plate for us. Maybe another Murph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I just picked the crack pipe back up, so, with regard to Ace Whitehead, make that: "... maybe another Ivan!!!"

:bevo::bevo::bevo:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Thats a wrap for day one of the MLB draft. Not too much damage to our team today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

90% + probability Coffey and Bolte are off to the Minors

As long as Cox (both as a pitcher and as a batter), and Belyeu are still Longhorns, we'll probably be allright.

Also, Porchas, but I don't think he'll go in the draft (at least not until the late rounds). He's good, real good, but he doesn't throw 95 mph +, and he doesn't have a track record in college yet. He's also a Catholic school kid from some ranch town in California.* But he's good. We'll all see at the Disch (I hope...).

*Ladera Ranch is a 4,000 acres planned community adjacent to Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, and San Juan Capistrano. Located along Antonio Parkway and Crown Valley Parkway, construction of the community began in 1999 ... in Orange County. :D

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

23. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Boooom!!!! Pete Hansen, 97 overall pick to St. Louis!! Congratulations to Pete!!

And Silas Ardoin at 107 to Baltimore Orioles!! Congratulations to Silas!!

:hookem::bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  24. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Dang it. And now Brenner Cox at 111. UT commit. Washington.

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  25. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Douglas Hodo, 167th pick, 6th rd, Baltimore Orioles. Congratulations to Mr. Hodo!! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Pickle_Nuts

Pickle_Nuts Will travel with tickets.

I've always been impressed with the MLB draft process, tons of kids, tons of scouts and lots of baseball.

27. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Trey Faltine. 213th pick, 7th round, Cincinnati Reds. Congratulations to Trey!!

• Like Like x 1
  28. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Murphy Stehly with the 291st pick (10th rd) to Washington.

• Like Like x 1
  29. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Through 10 rounds:

Players not yet drafted:

Eric Kennedy is still on the board for those that are eligible

commits:
    Jalin Flores
    Mathew porchas
    Max Belue

The big surprise was Brenner Cox getting drafted so high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

They got a bargain in the 10th round.