2022 House and Senate election

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The idea of investigating the IC is important if they are ever going to be held accountable for their crimes. They violated the constitution in some in their relationship with Twitter/Facebook/Youtube. They probably organized the Kennedy assassination. There was a report of pedophiles through the agencies that no one followed up on. There is the whole Jeffrey Epstein/Ghislaine Maxwell situation that was dropped. We have enough evidence to know some crimes were committed. But we don't know specifics. The longer they aren't held accountable the more crimes they will commit.

There should also be a group that investigates the CDC, NIH, and NIAID for funding gain of function research in China after Obama told them to stop and then how they lied to people about the virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I really hate to see our party behave and think like liberals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Marjorie Taylor Greene is more progressive than conservative?

4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Ha ha. Good point. She definitely just took a turn towards the swamp though.

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

They have been unwatchable for quite some time now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No she didn't. I think he offered to seat her on committees.

7. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Yeah there is no way a congressman/woman is sitting down and literally writing 4000 pages of legislation.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think that kind of label is dumb and inaccurate. I think they're just attention-seeking self-promoters. It's why they ran for Congress in the first place.

9. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I've lost a ton of respect for hannity over this. Name calling, being rude to conservatives that won't go along with McCarthy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Or maybe they're people who are afraid of the direction the House may go with McCarthy running it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Are you down to zero respect for him, or did you have more than a ton to begin with?

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Honestly, nobody is. There's a lot of copying and pasting of budget line items. Individual "government affairs liaisons" (basically lobbyists for the agencies) read their own sections, and special interests read what's relevant to them, but nobody's reading the whole thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They aren't that principled. They want power and attention, and they're willing to hand a piece of leverage to the Democrats to get it. And of course, they'll blame their own conference if Democrats put McCarthy or someone else over the top. It'll be everybody's fault except theirs.

And to be clear, McCarthy is nothing special. He embodies mediocrity. However, he commands the support of more of the conference than anyone else. There's no good reason to go to war to stop him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

They aren't that principled? Just speculation on your part. There is actually good reason to go to war with him with the way the House performed in 2022. Instead of these 20 or so going along just to end this stalemate how about McCarthy step down and let someone else take over?

Jordan, Massie, Biggs and Donalds are better choices by far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Rep. Bob Good from Virginia said it best:

"Past history is the greatest indicator of future results. And there’s nothing from Kevin McCarthy’s past that tells you that he’s the right person to fight [the radicals in the Democrat Party]."

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yes. That is turning towards the swamp. McCarthy is of the swamp. Thanks for offering evidence for my comment.

17. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Garmel, that is why most Rs and the Ds want McCarthy in power and cry about opposition to him as grandstanding. These 20 are the people standing on principle. At least today. If they don't deliver results then they need to be replaced too. But today these are the reps standing for conservatives principles and fighting against the Leftist hegemony we suffer under.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Was at 90%. Down a few notches

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How come dems don’t just vote for McCarthy and end it there?

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Trust me, I'm not offering her example as necessarily commendable. She's part of the problem.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't know any of them personally, so I can't know their intentions with certainty. However, I know that they spend very little time to advancing conservative legislation (which is their job) and see them spending enormous amounts of time advancing their own profiles. We need show horses, but we have too many of them and far, far too few workhorses.

22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm a fan of the Liberty Belle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  23. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Just read that polls show that 90% of Republican voters don't want McCarthy as Speaker. But 90% of Republicans want him as Speaker. Anyone see the problem?

24. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

F801DFBF-9276-4D57-9C51-684A861225E8.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

26. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

I admit I took a long break from politics. It just got too depressing after the mid terms when I thought we might return to the "good old days" when everyone didn't have to walk on tiptoes, woke-ism kind of faded away, and crime and homeless weren't everywhere. So, I am fairly clueless as to what is happening as the Republicans are imploding and kicking McCarthy in the groin 7 or 8 times for the past 2 days, while the Dems are reveling in our mess.

Now, I am totally confused as to what is happening to the Speaker of the House. I understand that our own little squad is digging in their heels against McCarthy, but, aren't Marjorie Taylor Green, Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, etc. the Trumpiest of Trumpers? Are we not trying to distance ourselves from Trump?

Why are these people being seen as heroes now? It seems to me they are holding the Speaker seat hostage for their own agenda, getting prominent positions. They don't seem to have any answers as to who to replace McCarthy.
    Honestly, I don't know much about him except he raised lots of money for the Republicans.

Who is a better candidate than McCarthy, and if they have one, what have they been doing the past few months? Why put the country and one party fighting against each other, I just don't get it.
    I don't know who to even root for. I want to put Trump in the rear view mirror, although I did agree with some of his policies. But, I keep reading how "brave" the 20 or so Rs are to stand up to McCarthy and refuse to vote for him.
    This just seems like ugly infighting, and it will make it very difficult for Rs to work together once the insults and name calling are over.

What the hell is going on?

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

She'll back down when a handful of Republicans work out a deal with Hakeem Jeffries (D) or more likely, when Jeffries releases his votes and lets Democrats use the leverage Boebert is giving them to elect a Republican more moderate than McCarthy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And in other news, Taco Bell has been voted the best Mexican restaurant in the country.

The real question to ask is if they'd prefer McCarthy (beholden to Republicans) to Fred Upton, David Joyce, or Hakeem Jeffries (all three beholden to a bipartisan coalition), because that's where this is eventually headed if nobody backs down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Don't root strongly for anybody. McCarthy has made a career out of being a tepid, mediocre leader and advocate both when in the minority and the majority and when he was in the California Assembly. Honestly, I don't understand what made the party conference look at him and see leadership.

However, the fight to deny him the Speakership is being brought by some of the House's worst self-promoters who barely know what a legislator is, much less how to actually do the job. For the most part (apparently Chip Roy might be the exception), they don't have an end game, but they don't need one, because the point was to attract attention, not to elect another speaker. (They don't even know who they want.) The show horses are getting to show off and say, "look at me and how cool I am!". It's the political equivalent of the drunk baseball fan jumping onto the field and running around naked.

So after laughing at him for a few seconds, I want the drunk naked dude removed from the field of play so the game can go on, but I'm fully aware that it'll be so I can watch a mediocre team.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Maybe you're right.

• Agree Agree x 1