2022 House and Senate election

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Well, what evidence do you have that Republican voters want McCarthy's leadership in the House? I know polls are the end all be all, but we have to start somewhere.

You point out the risk. But sometimes you have to take a risk to get something better. If the dissident Rs don't have a plan then I agree in your criticism. But I don't think having McCarthy as Speaker sets the Rs up to do anything meaningful in the House. So they have to try something.

2. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Except that there isn't a good #2 either. So 'yes', McCarthy is not Tom Brady of Conservative accomplishments. But guess what, most of the other options are the equivalent of Sam Darnold. If there were any good alternates then they would have come to light already. since that hasn't happened, this resistance from these 20 is all just BS and hurting the party.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Really? Bipartisan?

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I mean that they would require a bipartisan coalition to get the job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't have evidence that voters want McCarthy, but by itself, that isn't the appropriate inquiry. How many Republican voters are considering McCarthy against the alternatives? In a vacuum, I may not like Brussel sprouts, but if you put a gun to my head and force me to choose between them and rat droppings, I'm going to find a way to like Brussel sprouts.

Two things. First, it's a risk like sky diving without a parachute is a risk that you might get hurt. Failure is a virtual certainty.

Second, anyone who understands bicameral legislative governance with an executive branch knows nothing meaningful will get done. Stopping the Biden legislative agenda from advancing is about the most the House can do regardless of who the Speaker is. Anyone who says they can advance much is bullshitting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

This is what these brave patriots are trying to accomplish. Please get yourself informed instead of reading the RINO rags, my friends.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

8. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

This is what we have so far.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Between Rogers trying to go after Gaetz physically and the childish comments from Dan Crenshaw (both who will be in leadership positions) all show us how effed up this party is at the top. This is the kind of people I find embarrassing, not the 20 who are trying to keep McCarthy from going RINO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Too bad McCarthy is leader. Two years of theatrics, spinning wheels and rhetoric ahead

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Did you the see the video? It appeared to me that Rogers said something pointedly and was backing away when he was grabbed from behind. The reaction was more physical than what Rogers was doing.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Some of it is good. Some of it is dumb. Some resisted McCarthy in good faith (Chip Roy). Some didn't (Gaetz, Boebert).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not a McCarthy fan, but you were going to get that anyway. Republicans don't control the Senate and barely control the House, and anytime Matt Gaetz and a few of his buddies decide they want some attention, Republicans don't even control the House.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. Horn2RunAgain

Watch how they F up the joe Biden/ hunter investigation.

Watch how they soft pedal in the end, all the investigations McCarthy mentioned in his speech.

Look man, I want actual change. If you're stuck in the 80s and 90s, fine, but many of us want change. For the better. Last time they took control I recall the repubs were going to put tnt to Obamacare. Didn't happen. Benghazi hearings were an embarrassment, produced zilch.

I see the same thing here. The leadership needs to change. Period

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

How I learned to hate America and love the Swamp! This is so fun I get to be somebody!

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

"Resistance if futile. You will be assimilated." - the Borg

19. Horn2RunAgain

Thank goodness Trump kick started the movement. Lot of resistance by the swamp but if you don't try to fix the broken machine you have a 100% chance of it never changing. I'm not ready to accept that. If it takes time, it takes time. But it has to be fixed. Sooner the better

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's not futile. Put up the resistance you can and get as much as you can. Then don't run **** candidates in '24, and maybe we'll have the votes to do more.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I want change too, but you either have the votes, or you don't.

22. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

It sounds like the dissidents got some change out of their stunt. They used the power they had to get as much as they could. Good on them.

• Like Like x 3
  23. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

And that would be a major accomplishment!

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  25. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Funny Funny x 6
  27. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

This Freedom Caucus will fall in line just as they always do when they see how things really work. None of these things will happen.

Hope but doubt they prove me wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Here is the deal: GOP can pick up 10-15 more seats in 2024 from purple districts. GOP will likely win the senate too given the map there. The new 2024 congressman certainly won’t be freedom caucus types. Therefore, in 2024 the freedom caucus will basically be de-horned. I think this is why they pushed it to the limit in 2022.

30. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The tea leaves show that the America First Republicans reflect more consistently the will of conservative voters. If the R party doesn't shift to them then it will lose its grip in the 2 party system. One of the parties must follow the grass roots conservative movement. The Tea Party was corrupted, strike 1. If MAGA/America First fails that is strike 2. It won't take many more swings for Republicans to fail. Conservative candidates aren't extreme or crazy or unelectable. They aren't a part of the US regime, uniparty system. As the system shifts the left Republicans, which are the majority, will move towards the Democrat Party. As more voters see the Republicans as untrustworthy they will drift away. Something new will take their place. There have been multiple party systems in America. It won't be the last.