2022 House and Senate election

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It was supposed to be a lean D race that somehow became a 15 points blowout.

We should have won the House races too. That's why I'm not sure the whole "bad" candidate thing is real considering that the more accurate polls had the bad candidates in toss ups and even winning.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You don't think the candidates made a difference (for example) in how Brian Kemp did and how Herschel Walker did? Or how Dr. Oz did compared to Mastriano?

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I generally like Joe Manchin, but he was stupid. He's from one of the reddest states in the country, so it was never going to be easy to keep his seat. However, he could have if he hadn't screwed up. He signed onto the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) to appease Democrats who were pissed at him for helping to kill Build Back Better. I think he thought he could justify it to his constituents by securing reform for the fossil fuel industry. I'm not sure if that would have worked anyway, but for it to even be possible, the Biden Administration would have had to have been honest with him about the implementation. It wasn't, and Manchin was foolish to think it would be.

Opposition to the fossil fuel industry is a major part of the progressive Left's agenda, and Manchin shouldn't have trusted anyone on their side about it. He did, and now it's going to cost him his career.

I understand his worry about how pissed his caucus was at him, but it was an unfixable dilemma. Even if his move gave him brief relief from them one day, the next day they were going to be pissed at him about something else, because ultimately, he's way too conservative for their party on core, fundamental issues.

What he should have done was ditch the IRA and then switched parties when IRA was up for debate. He can't do that now, because he'd lose in a primary for backing the IRA. However, if he had remained solid in opposition to the Administration and his party (which despises him anyway), he could have switched and built a solidly conservative record for the remainder of his term. He'd have a decent shot in '24 of holding the seat as a Republican.

5. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yes, but 15 points for a lean D race?

The House races that we should have won?

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

What he should have done is change his affiliation to Republican after the IRA deal.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't think the candidate quality is what cost us that race. I think we had a mediocre candidate who threw a Hail Mary that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. Ultimately, I think people (including McConnell) overestimated the potential in that race. I suspect the polling understated Democratic turnout and the down ballot impact of the governor's race.

Again, it's I'd have to look at those on a race-by-race basis. I suspect that many of those were mail-in balloting races.

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hard to trust this when GOP lost the NV senate race. This time the Dem incumbent is not as strong as the 2022 candidate. Also, GOP did win governor in 2022, so it’s possible. GOP need to campaign in only 3 states in 2024: GA, AZ, and NV. Maybe a little in NC and WI.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

But hey, he isn't a carpetbagger so he's the best candidate.

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

11. Horn2RunAgain

A lot of people (this forum included) have fallen for 'the suburban/ soccer moms being pulled away from conservative candidates' line of thinking. It's all a croc, this write up backs my opinion . Married women have the same values as their husbands and vote accordingly.

The write up backs what I've seen in reality

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Why do you think the regime is pushing LGBT?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I've lived in the 'burbs for my entire life (minus the college years... Man, those were fun - oops getting off track). I've yet to run into a husband and wife duo that appeared to vote differently. They either came off clearly liberal, clearly conservative, or both not interested in talking politics.

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And yet we're doing much worse in the suburbs. It's also possible that both men and women in the suburbs are voting less Republican than in the past. It's possible that more single women are in the suburbs than before. It's possible that there are more ethic minorities in the suburbs than before. Probably all three are true.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Horn2RunAgain

Reality is only 2 are true. Yes, more minorities and more single women have moved to "the suburbs", but this is just a matter of a shell game. Plano isn't nearly as affluent as it was 25 yrs ago (much to my brother's chagrin). There are very nice parts of plano immediately bordered by some in decline.

But the long time suburbanites? Don't see them voting for beto.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm sure the longtime suburbanites aren't voting for Beto. That's people like my parents who have lived in Plano for 39 years. But what about those who have moved to Plano in the last 10 - 15 or the indoctrinated grandkids of the longtime suburbanites? Are some of them minorities and single chicks? Yes. But are many of them secular families with kids (the types who take their kids to drag queen shows and put "in this house we believe" signs in their yards)? Undoubtedly so. I see tons of that crap every time I visit Plano now and plenty of them in the areas that are still nice.

17. Horn2RunAgain

Like I said it's a shell game. People that were in urban areas have migrated somewhat. But long time suburbanites haven't changed their political views. . just like the newer folks to suburbs. Same old same old

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm quick to get on Biden for his mental lapses, but this has to invite scrutiny. We can't be consistent without calling this out. I'm not a Cocaine Mitch hater at all, but he needs to step down. He doesn't necessarily have to quit the Senate. He can probably finish his term, but he needs to leave the leadership.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

IF the Repubs do not remove that poor sick man from leadership position they are worthless pos every bit as corrupt as any Demx

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And I don't think this is good for McConnell either. Something is clearly wrong. Let's put the job on somebody else and let him get the care he needs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Does the BBC and other media do stories on Biden's incoherence? If not, then that's why I dont give 2 squirts about this.

That's the problem with republicans is trying to be consistent when the media deck is stacked against us and being consistent don't make a ****.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So if American Airlines started hiring blind pilots, would you want your own airline to hire blind pilots so that they'd be following the same rules as your competitor? I assume so, since that makes about as much sense.

I understand the logic of being willing to be no less nasty and aggressive as one's opponent, but you can go too far with that if you insist on something that's a disadvantage. Having a senile leader or a leader who's a walking stroke is a liability, not an asset. We'd be better served without that problem regardless of what Democrats do.

24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The only thing I dislike about this reporting is that the press NEVER NEVER says a single peep about Biden's obvious mental lapses.

They both need to gtfo politics.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

MSM needs to pick up on all leaders who have mental lapses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tell em to check the cemeteries since they get so many votes from there.

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If she was in a R+30 district, I wouldn't care as much, but she's in a district that's R+7. It's an easy win for a normal Republican but a struggle for a weird Republican like her. I'm also not a fan of this type of congressman - in office to self-promote and makes no serious effort to legislate.

Two points. 1. I will concede her hotness in a trashy "2 wine coolers away from taking her top off at a NASCAR race" kind of way. 2. Though I'd defer to Garmel on this, it looks like she's had a boob job.

30. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

She's too nutty to last long as a Rep there.

• Agree Agree x 1