2022 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

2. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

This top OL class is one of those DUH moments. It is truly stellar class to say the least. Now can they produce? If they do, all bets are off. If any qb has time to throw and Bijan doesnt get hit every play 5 yards in the backfield then hold on for the ride. On the other side of the ball, it still requires a D that gets into the backfield and I just dont believe PK can do that. If GP is able to help PK (what a joke of a statement but is where we are) learn to play D then we are in a great position!!

• Hot Hot x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, after sending multiple players to the NFL and fielding top defenses at prior DC positions, PK has forgotten how to coach. :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ATX_Horns

ATX_Horns 250+ Posts

I agree and considering it's the end of year one and the overhaul that is underway on this roster; I believe all should temper their expectations just a bit. If we are still having these same issues going into Y3, then by all means beat the war drums.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This time next year it will be Arch Manning mania.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 6
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. longhornlegend

You obviously have some hope but its not based on last years performance which we ended up at 100 out of 130. I cant find a worse defense, ever by Texas than last year so yes there is concern.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Bijan will be long gone before this class is starting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Agree we had ZERO defensive players on All Big 12 Team...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. longhornlegend

I think most of those guys will be starting this year. I know the old logic is no OL start as FR but our OL is so bad and these guys have all the accolades that I think at least 3 of them are starting early in the year. If they are good enough then let them play. We gain nothing by having them sit. They are big and by all accounts excellent OL.

12. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I agree. UT needs to allow this staff time… and I care not if it’s 5 years, to develop the schemes, get the players, develop a congruent strategy.
    Geez- so tired of the UT coaching carousel of OCs, DCs and position coaches.
    Continuity is a big issue and for crying out loud we have a complete staff that has a proven history if we will just let them do their respective jobs and support- hell yes I am talking sunshine pumping, stadium rocking, support. Maybe we can learn that one thing from Aggie.
    The biggest sunshine pumping with little return history fan base in the free world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Methinks Bo Davis said it best.

I saw several D players off the bus at the end of the year. And the players who supported Bo, happen to be the standouts from last year. Wake up man.
    Patience grasshopper

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. longhornlegend

Love Bo Davis. Anyone who is ok with losing needs to hit the road. Bo needed to say what he said.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

It's not "old logic". It's lots of coaches with lots of experience stating that OL is one of the toughest places to step into. You have to be good at run-blocking and pass-blocking, yes. You also have to adjust to defensive changes and understand how your fellow linemen are going to react. You also have to get used to being highlighted on TV almost exclusively when you have made an error. I think we see maybe one of the recruits starting next year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I think 2.

18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Anyone know when Ochuan Mathis will announce where he’s going to play football next season?
    We need that guy. He needs to be on campus now getting ready for the spring game.

19. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Not until June is what I've heard.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He has until start of summer school.

• Like Like x 1
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While I certainly wish each player the best, this reality confirms the double-edged sword nature of the portal. Their decision, perhaps based on hope and delusion and not reality, has had the effect of clearing out space for what may be better players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

The problem with being a mediocre player on a mediocre Texas team is that they think they are still that 4 star or 5 star player coming out of high school getting offers from every big school.

However, they now have plenty of stats and video for teams to look at which quite frankly isn't very impressive. I'm guessing all of them have gotten attention from lesser schools, but they think they should go to another P5 school. I bet they will all land somewhere but not where they thought they would.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

The same as players declaring too early the NFL draft. Eligibility, notably staying that way, doesn’t get much ink. If we, the FBS, don’t address the eligibility dodge of these outlets, the future of anything like intercollegiate athletics is done. We will be down to minor league football as an NFL affiliate. If that gets alums excited, then tally-ho! Dabo Swinney went off on this regarding transfers recently without saying ‘specifically’ that he was talking about graduation rates and negating the academic part of football.

25. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

A certain coach, unnamed, but operated near Kansas City turned an entire program around (at least W/L-wise) by bringing in Ju-co players who never went to school. At all!. Played the first fall, registered but passed zero. Registered in the spring, got hurt late in spring training and WD from school. Petitioned for another semester to meet graduation progress req’s, played their last fall and adios. Never saw a class-room. We are all Headed that way fast if something doesn’t get fixed. The NCAA is completely toothless to do anything meaningful at all.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

hornde,

I fear there is huge truth in your post, but we have tried for decades to eliminate the problems. DKR forced Third Ward on the SWC because, as he put it, "if we have to recruit against them, at least make them play by our rules". Unfortunately, that was laughable because of the same two problems we are still facing, albeit slightly altered:

1) Academics - some schools either have 5th grade level academic programs with ZERO advancement toward a degree or no monitoring of advancement so that kids get to spend four years on campus with less than 30 hours total credit.

2) Street agents - see also Olajawon (sp) among a multitude of others. Penders actually stole one from Ohio State, but the fat princes of polyester got the kid declared academically ineligible because he was from South America and made 1300 on the SAT in Spanish, but only 550 in English. Now the vultures have sidestepped the "pay for delivery" and gone into the portal & early NFL businesses.

As far back as Fred Akers on through to Mack Brown, Deloss, et al have tried to keep these vultures away from our players and to educate the kids, but they can't see it because of all the smoke being blown up their butts.

27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's why we always teased our friends in the Dust Bowl that they might win the Big Eight but were NEVER the best team in Oklahoma - that was NEOA&M.

28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    • Hot Hot x 2
  29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

10.22 is smokin.
    Can you say deep ball threat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  30. longhornlegend

If he can just catch it and show enough speed to make defenses respect him that is a win. Have Quan Cosby teach them all how to catch with their hands!!!