2022 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some quotes from Chris Marshall, who is much better than his 3-star rating

On Marshall exploding on the scene as a junior: “USC was one of his first offers. (USC WR coach) Keary Colbert said he couldn’t believe how good his ball skills and hands were considering he (Marshall) hasn’t played football since little league.”

On A&M’s lead: “They do have the inside track thanks to (Devon) Achane. Achane is the one who talked Chris into playing. The guys would go mess around and play 7-on-7 and Achane would tell him he needs to put the pads on. We saw his size and had been telling him the same for a while and he finally came out. We knew he was athletic but we didn’t know he this natural.”

Marshall’s timeline: “With everything going on he hasn’t been able to have the real experience yet. It’s one thing to talk to coaches on FaceTime but they need to go see schools and meet coaches in person. Hopefully in April these kids can start making visits to get better informed.”

Did the hiring of Sarkisian get his attention?: "[Derisive laughter] Yeaaah, it caught everybody’s attention. What he did at Bama speaks for itself.”

More on Texas: “I’m a Houstonian and I remember when Mack Brown got to Texas. He recruited Houston hard. We haven’t really seen that much of late. Strong didn’t really recruit Houston. Herman did a little. You’re at Texas, you should recruit Houston and Dallas well every year. I’m curious to see who gets this area.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is IT with some interesting comments OL Kam Dewberry from Atascocita

After catching up with someone close to Dewberry’s recruitment, here are the particulars:

— Jeff Banks was Dewberry’s lead recruiter for Alabama, though Dewberry has also talked with Kyle Flood. Dewberry and his family were able to visit Alabama before Covid ruined that calendar year. The family did not meet Sarkisian on that visit but all involved think it’s a big hire.

— The competitive regional landscape was a topic of discussion, not just with the teams but offensive line coaches. You have Bill Bedenbaugh at OU, Josh Henson at A&M, James Cregg at LSU, and finally joining the mix, Texas with Kyle Flood. The source intimated people were taking OU‘s chances too lightly. Bedenbaugh is held in very high regard.

— The assumption Dewberry will end up at A&M is overblown per the source. Dewberry will cut his list to 3-5 schools around the time he turns 17-years old, sometime in April. The family wants to take some visits. Ohio State was canceled as the pandemic took hold and they’ll reschedule that visit when they can.

— Dewberry grew up liking UT and he likes the hires that were made. Having 2021 signee Derrick Harris already on campus will be a positive for Texas. It’s not something that will be a deciding factor, but when listing pros and cons, having his childhood friend (since Dewberry was four-years old) at UT is a plus. The families are really close.

— Dewberry has spent time working out with both former Longhorn offensive tackle Sam Cosmi and A&M offensive lineman Kenyon Green. The three have Atascosita High School in common. Dewberry picks their brains but there’s sentiment that “Kameron is his own person and he might choose to make his own path at a different school.”

The takeaway with this one is, Dewberry is way more open than people are thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

OL Devon Campbell of Arlington Bowie told IT that he's been in constant contact with coaches Banks and Flood.

They believe he's "very likely" a future Longhorn and could be an early commitment.

Devon Campbell, Bowie, Offensive Tackle

• Like Like x 3
  4. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Ketch has a cb for Evan Stewart to UT.

• Like Like x 4
  5. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  6. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Evan Stewart is done

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  9. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Orangebloods / Rivals guys feel good about this, and so does TFB.

247 thinks the timing doesn't bode well for Texas, and it's possibly an Alabama vs. Oregon battle.
    I like TFB for knowing the recruits. I think they're involved a lot with recruiting videos, so I feel good with them liking UTs chances.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He did recently retweet a Roll Tide thing

But we did just get a CB

i think Mike Roach already knows, but doesnt want to spoil it for him

• Like Like x 1
  11. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Also CJ Williams was in Austin today.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

An example of some of our new branding

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Flood with another 2022 OL offer

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mike Farrell (Rivals guy) put in a Texas pick on this

edit - also Gabe Brooks
    Ketch too, but he usually just follows the oth
    ers

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Gerry Hamilton is not that high on him but CJ Williams' dad played basketball at Bama and CJ played at Mater Dei with Bryce Young (who is still at Bama as of this moment). But the Williams' love Sark's offense. And Sark's kid currently plays with Williams at Mater Dei.
    So this one will be interesting

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We offered 4-star TE Holden Staes from Atlanta, and committed to PSU

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB often gets a heads up on players off the commitment video being made
    Here they are today on Evan Stewart --

Stewart is perhaps the fastest WR in the country and with that kind of speed you can imagine he is an ‘All Gas No Brakes’ kind of guy

For the record, Brennen Thompson is also very fast

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Nahlin

The new-look staff has been aggressive. Stewart was genuinely excited about the Sarkisian hire. UT is really the only school that makes sense unless he’s a huge Bill O’Brien fan, which makes no sense.

I’m tempering expectations a bit because the timing is quicker than I thought it would be so I’m trying to account for the unknown.

If it is Texas, I don’t believe he’s told the coaches (but I could be wrong).

They need a splash commit to help get this class off the ground. It’s a tough climate to build recruiting momentum. This would be huge, and would also say a lot about Stewart’s belief in the staff.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Could use him like Devonta Smith

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Roach has crystal balled Stewart to Tx.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Flood with another offer - OT Tyler Booker from IMG

Check the pic

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is Mike Roaching attempting to explain his vacillating positions on Evan Stewart

" .... over the weekend, Evan told a 247Sports reporter that Texas hadn't been in that much contact and he didn't know Andre Coleman that well after having a solid relationship with Jay Valai. I was told that Stewart actually filmed a video today at his school, and it sounds like he had contact with the Texas staff this morning.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit uneasy about this still. The timing still stands out to me, and I've not received as much confirmation as I'd like to at this point. With Crystal Ball picks I try to eliminate as much guesswork as possible and lean on good, reliable information. Piecing things together, this just makes sense. Texas has some buzz on the recruiting trail, and while he's never visited the Texas football program, he's at least been to Austin for state track. He's never visited Oregon or Alabama, and the timing of his communication with the staff to go with his tweet just adds up too well.

If Texas pulls this off, I think it's a great indicator of what they can do on the recruiting trail. Stewart was talking down his interest in the Longhorns in the last 72 hours, and winning him over means something changed quickly. Stewart is a marketing genius. A TikTok star with over 1 million followers, he definitely knows how to create content in a palatable way. I was told there's definitely a chance he could drag his timeline out or drop the video immediately. He's a pretty unpredictable kid.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Big, if true

One of the Oregon mods (Oregon was considered one of the favorites for Stewart) is conceding its us

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Another things seems to be that we are willing to let Stewart run track

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB thinks Guilbeau may de-commit

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  27. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Name Image and Likeness + Texas = $$$

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Yea Guilbeau was close with Valai. Need Gideon to go talk about Earl Thomas and help sure that up. I love Guilbeau’s game. Don’t blame him for looking but I think we can still win that back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Earl can easily "bump" the kid with Jamaal. Earl & Jamaal do free kids camps in Orange & Port Arthur. Chances are Guilbeau attended one of those. I would argue that Earl & Jamaal have a "natural" relationship with the kid via the camps.

That still does not negate the heavy Aggie/LSU influence is Southeast Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He had a good position for himself with Ash as the hybrid nickel/LB
    This defense might not be the same