2022 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

This slow recruiting news is painful. I might have to subscribe to a recruiting service. Which one is the best?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

JoeFan on HornFans

:beertoast:

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Hot x 1
  3. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

IT reporting Sark and Coach Flood recently had a Zoom call with OL Kelvin Banks (Humble Summer Creek) for his birthday, and Banks says those guys are "like family."

They believe this continues to be a recruitment Texas should win.

Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek, Offensive Tackle

• Like Like x 6
  4. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

IT saying they're closely watching the commitment of WR Armani Winfield (Lewisville) right now.

Not much other info was given other than Texas will have to fight to keep him committed with the dead period likely to be lifted once June begins.

The tone of the report was pretty ominous, but we'll see.

Armani Winfield, Lewisville, Wide Receiver

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  5. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Per IT LB Kip Lewis of Carthage is wide open and they haven't mentioned his twin sister (volleyball player) lately as being a big factor in his recruitment.

A&M, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas are the leaders here, but nobody has separated themselves at this point.

He wants to take a spring visit to Austin, and should have a Zoom call with the Texas coaches this week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I didn't understand your Owens reference. Can you clarify please?

7. RainH2burntO

Yeah, that Stewart re-opening happened fast and it made me think harder on AW..
    That decision looked like an emotional one....and I hope it sticks.
    Nothing to get too worked about but hope just some isolated individual(s) wanting to make sure they take their time and not some larger scale negative recruiting or other shenanigans against us.

We want to load up on beast-capable receivers to help Sarks offense shine

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  8. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Roach from 247 mentioned he wouldn't be surprised if Texas' class loses another guy once visits open back up, but he added that this is something every school is going to have to deal with considering the vast majority of these players haven't seen a single school yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Both 247 and IT are feeling good about OL Cole Hutson (Frisco High) right now.

He gushed about his recent student visit to UT and wants to find a great business school.

This should come down to who pushes hard between OU and UT, with a decision coming around June.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

24/7 feels Texas is making a move with DE/LB Derrick Brown (Texarkana Texas High).

OU was the overwhelming favorite to being his recruitment due to his former teammate, LB Clayton Smith, signing there, but the Horns are catching up along with A&M.

He's a fan of coaches Choate and Kwiatkowski so far.

Derrick Brown, Texas High, Weak-Side Defensive End

• Like Like x 2
  11. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Doubtful Makhai would get a UT scholarship offer.

12. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sure
    It was a reference to Ruben Owens our '23 Rb recruit, in the context of early recruits having too much time to decommit

13. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 100+ Posts

Winning cures everything, Texas will get a big bump during the spring game when offensive recruits can get a look at the offense Texas is putting on the field.

I think we will have a top 10 offense next year (not counting injuries)

I think we will also be really good on defense maybe top 25

For now we are subject to the BS negative recruiting from schools like Ohio State, TCU, aggy, and blOwU.

There is a lot of negative recruiting coming from blOwU recruiting guys like RJ Young, he is hammering the EOT thing with black recruits. He has basically made it his job to undermine the Texas class in any way he can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I hate to break the news to you, but we have been the subject of negative recruiting since DKR fought the "racist team" in the 60s. Conversely, we have used negative recruiting against other schools - Eric Dickerson was my poster boy for choosing a school no one gave a damn about. (Worked pretty well)

Biggest problem is getting in front of the kid and his family to answer their doubts/concerns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This is how you do it: Coach sits in front of the family, slaps his knee, and says, “Not that ******** again! You think Earl or Ricky or Vince would go to a racist university? When they can’t beat us, our buddies across the [insert Red, Sabine, Brazos] River scream ‘racism’. They pull this **** every year and admittedly a few fall for it. That’s why they do it, cause it works on occasion. This is the last thing I will say on this topic - Don’t let these grifters limit your future.”

• Like Like x 1
  16. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Do you really think that dismissive schtick will work with an educated minority family that wants to understand if there are issues and gives Sark or a lead recruiter a chance to give true data to show there aren't issues on the 40 acres? I think it is pretty easy to counter the negative recruiting but I don't think it is done with a dismissive approach.

17. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  18. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Your approach only gives it oxygen. You are only going to give them data that can be twisted against you. You counter a dismissive attack by dismissing it. How do you prove a negative? Besides any educated family will see through the BS spewed from a recruiter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RainH2burntO

Got it.

I actually have some fond memories of the small town of El Campo and know a bit about it.
    They had a magnificent back come out of there In the 80s.. Heath Sherman...who went on to play for the Eagles. (If Owens is anywhere close to his talent we will be pleased)

Saw George Strait a couple times before anyone knew who he was at a place outside of town called Silver Wings Skating and Ballroom....I was just a kid.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  21. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

All a recruiter has to do is plant the seed of racism, fueled by the EOT, pour a little water on it and the recruit feels a twinge of guilt. "If I commit to them I Will be promoting hatred and racism" is the thought that runs through the back of this mind constantly. "Do you want to commit to a school that proudly sings a racist song at the end of each game?" ....that's all it takes. Of course we know different. It's the perception we're up against. It's all about instilling guilt, even only a little. Alabama solved the problem by becoming contenders each year despite a heavy history of racism. Maybe we can solve the racist perception also, eventually, but we are going to lose some very good recruits in the meantime, many, that actually want to come here.
    Of course this university has been a proud and leading proponent of diversity for many decades.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  22. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Then hopefully we're using the incident that happened with the OU fraternity 4-5 years ago.

24. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 100+ Posts

Or the incident that happened at aggy.

25. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

I hope we are above that crap.

26. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  27. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  28. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Who are our likely next verbal commits?

29. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Anyone else
    Joefan on Hornfans...

• Like Like x 1
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My response got 4 likes, 3 winners, 2 agrees, 1 hot.

I reached out to Joe, but no response. His exile is self-imposed. I talked to Dion, and he can come back whenever he wants. Hoping it's sooner rather than later.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 6