2022 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

11H AGO FOOTBALL
    Maalik Murphy: "Every time I visit Texas, I fall in love with it even more"
    [​IMG]

Maalik Murphy will be an early enrollee for Texas.
    It’s been a little more than two months since Maalik Murphy
    committed to Texas, and the standout quarterback prospect feels as good as ever about his decision. Last weekend, Murphy made his way from California to Austin for a visit to the UT Orange-White game, and he said that trip only solidified his commitment even more.

“It was great being able to be around an atmosphere like that. There was somewhat of a game going on, so it was a good feeling being able to see what I’m going to be a part of in the next year or so,” Murphy said. “It was great being out there, talking to a couple fans.”

Murphy, who will be an early enrollee for Texas, was not able to interact with the Texas coaches on the visit since it’s still a dead period, but he did get to mingle with fans and other recruits in the stands of the spring game. More than anything, he got to see his future team in action and actually visualize himself playing in DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium.

[​IMG]

NATL
    ST
    POS
    MAALIK
    MURPHY

VERBAL COMMIT
    2/13/2021
    TEXAS
    6'4" | 220 LBS | PRO QB | 2022
    SERRA
    GARDENA, CA

“It’s wild,” Murphy said. “When I really start thinking about it, it’s really wild. I couldn’t believe it. I was thinking, ‘This is going to be me very soon.’”

A Rivals100 member out of Gardena (CA) Serra, Murphy was able to connect with Texas offensive line target

Connor Robertson
    in the stands before the game. They wound up hanging out after the game as well, and Murphy is hoping Robertson will eventually join him on the Texas commitment list.

“I did as much (recruiting) as I could. I stayed with Connor the rest of the day. It was good hanging out with him,” Murphy said. “I’m doing my best to get him on campus.

“He didn’t show too much. He lets me know he has an interest, but he’s still weighing out his options. I know he wants to take some other visits, but feel like if I stay on him, if the coaches stay on him, we’ll get him in the end.”

Next up, Murphy will return to Austin in June for his official visit. He’ll turn his attention towards recruiting a number of other players on that visit, and said he’s excited for his parents to be able to get to Austin to see the Texas campus for the first time. If that trip is anything like his previous two stays in Austin, Murphy will remain completely locked in with his commitment.

“It just gets better and better every time. Every time I visit or hear anything about Texas, I fall in love with it even more,” Murphy said. “I’m ready to be there, be a student there.”

2. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Swanson just committed to Tx.

• Like Like x 5
  3. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  4. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

Texas lands Alabama LB transfer Ben Davis
    The former five-star prospect was originally recruited by Bo Davis and spent the last two seasons playing on the edge for the Crimson Tide.
    In a decision months in the works, the Texas Longhorns officially landed a commitment from former Alabama Crimson Tide linebacker Ben Davis on Monday.

PER BURNT ORANGE NATION.

:yippee:

• Like Like x 4
  5. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

So to recap the last 48hours (or maybe a little over that), the Longhorns picked up Xavier Worthy, Zac Swanson, Ben Davis, Richardson (I think that's his name, LB from NMST) and lost Malcolm Epps. Plus, Shadrach Banks entered the transfer portal and is talking / talked with Texas this evening which kind of closes the door a little on Denver Harris to ATM. That is just football.

In basketball the Horns picked up the Vanderbilt PF, Disu. Not too bad.

• Hot Hot x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  6. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Sark ...

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I once was very excited about the possibility of getting Ben Davis but now I see he's been rather unproductive up until now. What are our expectations from him?
    Nevertheless, welcome to the 40 acres Mr. Davis

9. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Got some feedback from my Bama friend on Davis. He said he could never get much playing time there and was passed over in the depth chart. He is a legacy Bama kid, his dad is Wayne Davis who played linebacker with Bennett and Thomas and actually is Bama's all-time leading tackler. He wasn't concerned with losing Ben. I hope the kid finds his fit here and becomes a beast. We could use him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Maybe the light will come on and he wins the Gaskamp award.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Believe me when I say I'm not an expert on kids on Twitter or any other form of social media, but I've read Shadrach and Denver are close friends. In addition, it's also been talked about that Denver and Shadrach discussed ATM and Denver alluded to "no GIG'em"...whatever that means.

Like I said, I don't think it closes the door on Denver to ATM, but I think that it nudges the door in that direction. I believe it comes down to Texas or Alabama and I really don't like Bama getting the last visit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

OL Kam Dewberry of Humble Atascocita told 247 recently that nobody is recruiting him harder than Texas.

He plans to visit Austin unofficially this summer, and then take an official in the fall.

Kam Dewberry, Atascocita, Offensive Tackle

• Like Like x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  14. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Per IT, A&M transfer Shadrach Banks had another call with the Texas staff yesterday, which would be the second day in a row of conversations.

TCU continues to be a legit threat as they're selling development and history of draft picks.

Shadrach Banks, Texas A&M, Wide Receiver

• Like Like x 2
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How many TE’s and LB’s do we need?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I absolutely know the coaching staff know what they are doing but we must getting close to the scholarship limit with these transfers.
    It looks like we may/are/will be trading 2nd and 3rd stringers for higher ranked transfers as example Epps portalling. I guess this bodes well for the horns and fans. Absolutely amazing the turnaround Sark is accomplishing. That guy is worth every penny and then some. But he still has to win games but he is starting out on the right foot.
    I'm not sure if I would want Gaoteote, a former 5 star LB with at least 3 seasons eligibility or Banks LB, no LB experience but good size and great speed. Maybe we can get both but I don't know if we have room. Dayum, Sark is a mover and a shaker.
    I remember posting on several occasions how weak and thin we were at LB. Not anymore.
    Letting our stinker of the previous head coach (though somewhat successful) go and getting Sark will be an epic and historic move within the program, that is, if our country holds together in the coming years, or the chinese flexes its muscle or Jesus returns.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I still believe we get o-line Campbell, Banks, Dewberry and Robertson. Plus I think we get an out of leftfield prospect from the west or east coast that is top notch. Sark has me thinking of possibilities. Dayum, I think i am getting a man-crush. Should I be concerned about that?

18. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

No reason for concern, you're not the only one. This is the most excited I've been about the football team in a LONG time, and Sark is the reason!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

NTTAWWI :Seinfeld:

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

24/7 saying Notre Dame isn't as hot of a team with LB Sebastian Cheeks of Evanston, IL as they once were.

Michigan appears to have the edge at the moment, but if Cheeks does decide to leave home, Texas would be the pick.

He will be in Austin this summer for an official.

• Like Like x 3
  22. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Update on WR CJ Williams of Santa Ana, CA...

247 had a source tell them that while Notre Dame is still a threat, they seem to be fading lately.

It could be shaping up as an Alabama vs. Texas battle.

• Like Like x 5
  23. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Hope you are right about OL. Much needed.

24. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Yes, you should. Think back to all the excitement when Herman was hired. We were done with Strong and Herman had a good record. We have had plenty of good players, and supposedly good coaches for a number of years. What we haven't had is consistency. We have a bunch of talented athletes who will be learning a completely new system in a short amount of time. Plus, most of these guys were not recruited by Sark. I think we should temper our expectations just a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Sark may be great but I will never get excited about another coach until I see the wins on the field and a Texas football program consistently competing for championships

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I know my attitude and expectations have rebounded in a way I did not think possible. I’m happier with Sark than I would have been with Urban Meyer at this same point. Not that this situation is objectively better, but my positivity toward the program is better. I think Sark really wants this as much as I do. Meyer coming in wouldn’t have felt as Texas-grown. And if had been Herman, I would barely be paying attention.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Is Banks in the portal? He hasn't even gotten to campus at A&M right?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Yes we were excited about Herman because Strong was so bad, so in over his head and everyone knew it. Our situation with Sark is different because SArk's reputation came with a national championship and a heisman winner, much different than Herman's reputation. Sark getting coaches like Kwiatowski(sp) and flood to go with early recruiting results and transfers points to a much better chance for real success. Plus the recruiting buzz that's going on. There's legitimate and concrete reasons for excitement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  30. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

I remember the buzz about him but its a little concerning if he is unhappy before he gets onto campus. Hope he is not a head case if he comes to Texas! Its hard to guage our receiving corp with Smith out. I think Whittington is a huge difference maker "if he can stay healthy". I think Washington may be but we need to have offense designed to hit these guys on the move more so they can use their talents. I know I hate this statement but blowu does this with their system. Hope Sark can add that to our production.

• Agree Agree x 1