2022 Recruiting - Volleyball

Discussion in 'Volleyball' started by Ellis21d, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Is this a surprise?

• Like Like x 5
  2. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

It was expected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

No, she was our first 2022 commit and has been committed for a while now:hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  4. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

On VT, I'm maintaining the current recruiting link for the next 2 years:

https://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/79381/texas-recruiting-thread-2022-2023

2022 Recruit:
    L/DS - Emma Halter (Indianapolis, IN)
    MB - Marianna Singletary (Charleston, SC)
    OH - Kenna Miller (Justin, TX)
    OPP - Devin Kahahawai (Honolulu, HI)

2023 Recruit:
    OPP - Auburn Thomkinson (Carlsbad, CA)
    OH - Sydney Helmers (Louisville, KY)
    S - Ella Swindle (Columbia, MO)
    MB - Nya Bunton (Louisville, KY)
    OPP/MB - Jordyn Byrd (Sarasota, FL)

In BOLD are the nationally ranked "big gets" for Texas

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Devin Kahahawai

• Like Like x 5
  6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Kahahawai was a hard get. She and 3 other key recruits visited during the Stanford game. In all her pictures, she was never smiling and those who followed recruiting didn't think we had a chance at her. Here's all 4 during that game.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Marianna Singletary

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Guess Kenna Miller didn’t come through even though her Twitter account shows she is committed to Texas?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  9. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yes, discussion on VT is that she must be a walk-on and that since she is, she has to wait for her acceptance letter from UT as a "regular student" before Texas will announce her on the team.

The paper she's signing is just a prop, not a National Letter of Intent. Jhenna Gabriel was in the same situation.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Not sure if you are right. I thought the student signed a letter of some kind that binds the student but the school isn’t bound until the acceptance letter is granted.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We don’t get a lot of Pacific Islanders on the 40 acres. In Hawaii, the media keeps track of local athletes who play on the mainland and the populace will watch the teams for whom they play (like Bama when Tua played).

• Like Like x 1
  12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

We have a fairly stable pipeline from Hawaii:
    2008-2011: Sydney Yogi
    2010-2013: Sarah Palmer
    2012-2015: Kat Brooks
    2018-2022: Jhenna Gabriel
    2021-2022: Saige Ka'aha'aina-Torres (transfer from Utah)
    2022-2025: Devin Kahahawai

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Kenna Miller posted this today.

• Like Like x 3
  14. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Good article in DMNEWS today about the Lovejoy team. They are probably going to win another state championship today...thinks it’s 9. They have Number 1 setter in country and number 4 overall. She says she grew up a Horns volleyball fan and had her heart set on it. Until she visited Baylor. We’ll have to deal with her the next 4 years.

16. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

That means she didn’t get offered by Texas!

17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

According to DMNews today, M. Miller is third team all area from Justin Northwest. Her statistics (399 kills, 212 digs) for year were good. Avery Carlson the setter from Lovejoy was selected as Area Player of the year. Carlson will be enrolling at Baylor in January.

18. TexanNexile

TexanNexile Born and raised in Texas-now exiled to Arkansas

Thanks for the link to your chart. It is very helpful.
    I notice that you have Cabello with the sophomores in 2021 and then she disappears. She played earlier in the season and then went to the bench. What is her situation?
    Also SKT, Jenna, Logan and Molly are listed as juniors but your chart only shows Molly available in 2023 with the bonus COVID year. What is the difference? again, thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

1. Cabello entered the transfer portal. Was made known and Elliot acknowledged that in person. She's leaving with no hurt feelings, thus she was still on the team cheering them on when we just lost in Regionals and concluded the season. It was said she was spotted in N.C. while the team was away playing a game. Unsure if she might be going to NC State or Carolina.

2. SKT already graduated from Utah when she transferred here. So, she's really a graduate student, but is listed as a "junior" for tracking purposes by the school. When she transferred, she had 2 years (one being COVID bonus) and she's just used up one of her two years this year.

3. Jenna is technically done this year, but she gets a COVID bonus year she is exercising. So, she's listed by the school as junior, even though she's really a senior.

3. Same with Logan.

4. Molly will be a true 4th year senior next year, but has informed Elliott that she'll be back next year and the year after that. So, she's listed as a junior and then will be a "junior" again next year. That is if she doesn't change her mind in the next year.

5. Brionne and Sydney could take advantage of a COVID year to play next year but have not chosen to do so. That's why only those two were given a senior night. Brionne is just tired of school and wants to play pro. I suspect Sydney was encouraged by the coaching staff to transfer and play elsewhere, maybe for her mom at UNI.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TexanNexile

Great detailed response. Thank you

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Where are all these recruits going to play? Welcome Zoe Fleck!

• Like Like x 3
  22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I just saw this on texassports. Another great get, like Morgan, maybe better. It certainly was no secret defense and passing were this teams downfall. Even Reilly went in against Neb in an effort to do something defensively. Not that Reilly's bad, but your scholarship player is supposed to be much better.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TexanNexile

I saw her play in the regionals and she was on firee. Will be fun to watch her in burnt orange.

• Like Like x 1
  24. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

For those of you not on VolleyTalk:

This has caused many, many people to go through the 5 stages of grief.

Madi Williams was expected. Skylar Fields was a bombshell.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  25. lovevb

lovevb < 25 Posts

I don't understand the reasons Skylar has chosen to depart the UT Volleyball program but I have been so sad all day today. I have loved watching her play elite level volleyball...she plays with so much emotion and I am really going g to miss her.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. TexanNexile

Any talk about why? She carried the team in the early tournament games last year. This year she had great success and has a team contending for the championship next year. Seems very strange. she will be missed not only for her skills but also her fierce leadership.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  27. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

I am in total shock and really sad about losing Fields. No pun intended, but she gets sky high on her kills. I love her energy. This one hurts, and I don't understand it, but I have always thought she was underutilized, and that Logan is too heavily relied upon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  28. TexanNexile

Are our new players early enrollees?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  29. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

That part...

30. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Skylar Fields to USC. :/