2022 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jul 28, 2018.

1. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep, that's the key and IMO one of the most important is recruiting talented players that fit your system. Looking at some of the highlights of Mwenentanda she reminds me a little of Haley Jones from Stanford.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

D. Littlepage-Buggs come on down! :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, I would think our main priority would be a true Center or low post player, but who knows for sure? Lots of versatile players in the class of 2022.

Not sure how similar Darianna and Kiersten are to our latest SG/SF verbal commitments, but sometimes it's first-come, first-served.

Not sure if any other names remain on our board other than:

· KK Bransford 5’10 G, Ohio (ESPN Rank #27)
    · Darianna Littlepage-Buggs 6’0 W, Oklahoma (ESPN Rank #35)
    · Kiersten Johnson, 6’3 F, Texas (ESPN Rank #40)
    · Brianna McDaniel 5’11 G, Illinois (ESPN Rank #30)
    · Kyla Oldacre 6’6 C, Ohio (ESPN Rank #17)
    · Christeen Iwuala 6’3 C, Texas (ESPN Rank #70)

Of course, there could always be some JUCO targets out there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep:bevo:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  7. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

DFW folks: With Desoto HS girls basketball, would y'all describe the individual game plays for Amina Muhammad, Sa'Myah Smith, and Ayanna Thompson and what makes them different. Thank y'all in advance.

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Watching a few highlights of Ndjakalenga and she seems to have been taught the fading art of knowing how to use the square on the backboard when shooting layups.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Maybe she watched tape of Tim Duncan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

"She (Ndjakalenga) needs to run, play fast. That's how she plays, and the system seemed to fit her perfectly."

With Texas on the cusp of implementing the full-court pressure brand of BB that Vic wants to play, as opposed to what he had to play last year, this trait will trump almost all other skills and measurables.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think that applies to all of the 2022 recruits so far. That’s why I’m less concerned about Abbie’s speed. Vic had great success at MSU with 4 players who ran like deer and could play pressure defense with a post who could bury opponents close to the bucket, rebound and block shots. Teaira was not fast or all that graceful but she improved every season and excelled in Vic’s system.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I take your point and I realize you are not comparing Abbie to McCowan, the SEC player of the year, but it is interesting that Abbie already has two inches over McCowan.

She will be a fascinating Longhorn to watch and support.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I was more referring to where she started - it’s a testament to how Vic and Johnnie developed her and how hard she obviously worked to get to that level. I doubt many outside observers saw Teaira as a freshman and thought, “Future SEC player of the year.” She was very rough around the edges.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

15. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Anyone hear or see anything on twitter about who is visiting today? Saw on coaches instagram we have a recruit on campus. Couldn't see her face but she was definitely tall from the looks of it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

We made her top 10! And I like the competition!
    Coach Aphil must be the lead recruiter for Texas.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm liking the competition also. Interesting that 7 of the 10 will be SEC teams, and Jerusalem on the Brazos will NOT be among them.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Interesting mix of schools. Have no idea what she's looking for in a program, but surprised no in-state choices of OU and OSU, and nearby Arkansas. Closest school to home is probably Baylor, and that's around a 5-hour drive, more or less.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Interesting indeed. Penn State and Villanova seem like outliers. Perhaps she has family/relatives in the Philly area.

But if competing on a national contender is a factor, that only leaves Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M.

6 are SEC schools. So it could come down to Texas and Texas A&M.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I only count 5 SEC schools, plus us makes 6 . . . :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Oops! Clemson is ACC... My bad.
    :(:D

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Jordana in middle wearing black shirt; good friend, 2023 Cori Allen out of Tennessee on end wearing black shirt. Don't think we've offered Allen; but, there could be some interest there.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

How is Baylor still in the running for elite prospects? Nicki Cullen is not an outstanding coach. They must be banging that WNBA drum as hard as they can - the recruits need to look up her record, especially when Angel McCoughtry wasn’t available.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

From the source herself:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

When I saw Kyla Oldacre's videos, she does not appear to be athletic. Most of the videos shows her putting in lay-ups where she doesn't get off the ground very much. Reminded me of Kelsey Bone. I don't see how she would have fit in Coach Vic's high pressure defense.

• Like Like x 2
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We already have our aircraft carrier coming in a few years... We're all good.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

644C4ADB-21CE-4352-97E8-4A6A9091C16D.jpeg
    Currently we have one remaining scholarship spot open for the 2022 class. That is also assuming we have no attrition next year. The only buzz I have seen is with Darianna Littlepage-Buggs. If Texas could get a commitment from her it would be another amazing class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

But, if one of Ebo, Warren, or Allen-Taylor comes back for their super-senior season, that exhausts the final scholarship. Unless Ebo has a tremendous season upcoming, I think she would benefit the most from a fifth season in college to improve her conditioning and basketball skills and hopefully create an opportunity to be drafted by the WNBA.

30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree with you on Ebo, but I honestly don't expect anyone to be brought back for that extra year. Interesting that the roster lists all player classifications according to the number of seasons they have already played, except for the two JUCO players who are listed as sophomores. With the high quality of young talent Vic & Co. are bringing in, I expect him to push forward in building the team around them more and more as they develop. The question for me is how long will that take? I guess we'll find out. I'm excited for this season to get underway. Really excited!

• Agree Agree x 3