2022 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jul 28, 2018.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Checking in on Amina and future prospects no doubt…

• Like Like x 7
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Texas makes the top 5 for 5'10 guard Flau'Jae Johnson. She also said our name first with no hesitation:D it means nothing but I did get excited hearing it:hookem:

• Like Like x 6
  3. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I'm intrigued that she would consider Texas knowing that we already have Ashley and Rori. I always assume that top players want to go somewhere they have a good shot at starting. Perhaps she's that confident in her abilities. Or perhaps the opportunity of playing for a championship coach is equally alluring.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, Latson out of Georgia was a true PG and still made an official visit to Texas this summer. Perhaps the 5'10 Flau'jae can play 2 or 3 positions effectively.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Texas Tech loses a verbal commitment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Call me old, or maybe just grumpy, but it irks me a bit to see people throwing up the backwards horns. At least mama (that's mama, right?) got it right.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  8. Jacob Johnson

I think you may just be a bit grumpy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Tough love! Thank you for that.

10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I don't like it either, but I have chosen to not let the backward hand sign be the hill I make my final stand on. Kids gonna kid.

11. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I saw on Instagram that Flau’Jae and her family are headed to Austin this weekend for her 2nd official recruiting visit. Hopefully, there will be photos posted of her visit on IG over the weekend.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She has a "story" posted on IG already. Shows her hotel room, Longhorn cake, room service menu, food, and outside tour of Moody. Wonder if she and family arrived last night or this morning. Can only be on official visit for 48 hours maximum.

EDIT: based on the timestamp of different stories, must have arrived last night, and had breakfast in hotel room. Moody tour posted like an hour ago or so.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sometimes I don't know whether to be impressed by some of the social media sleuthing done around here, or to be creeped out by it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Jacob Johnson

I strongly recommend those with instagram go to her mothers page. She is posting basically the entire visit on her story and I will say she seems very impressed with Texas. Flau'Jae is smiling ear to ear at every stop

• Like Like x 4
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  16. LutherIsMyDog

The Baylor message board is reporting that Littlepage-Buggs is visiting BU this weekend. That's her second official visit after visiting Florida last weekend. Hopefully, we'll get one of her last three visits. After visiting Florida and Baylor, she'll have three official visits remaining from her favorite schools; Texas, Alabama, Villanova, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Penn State, Auburn, and Clemson.

Next weekend (Oct 2nd), Alabama, A&M, Penn State, and Clemson all have home football games so one of those schools may get her next visit. I have no inside knowledge but I would bet she will visit A&M next weekend.

I will be very happy if Littlepage-Buggs visits Texas the weekend of October 16th when we play Oklahoma State.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  17. Jacob Johnson

Flau'Jaes mother really seems to like it. NIL seems to be really important for them which is very understandable considering the brand she currently has. Austin is the best place for NIL especially for an artist! I feel we have a very strong chance to land her.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. LutherIsMyDog

Photos from Littlepage-Buggs’ visit to Baylor.

• Like Like x 1
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

They sure are trying to cash in on a history created by a staff that has completely departed their institution.

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

More pics on Darianna’s visit to Baylor.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I haven't followed Baylor's 2022 recruiting too closely. Seems like their highest-ranked target over the last couple of years has been DeSoto's S'Myah Smith. Smith has taken official visits to Arizona, Texas Tech, and LSU. Would assume she'll still visit Baylor, and maybe Tennessee or Kentucky.

If Baylor doesn't land Smith, and she ends up at LSU with Mulkey, it's a huge hit to their potential class; no other way to spin it as they were the perceived leader for over a year (based on her social media, and visits to Waco).

For us, I'd normally not want her to land at Baylor since they are a conference rival and we'd have to face her for 4 years; but, now that we're going to the SEC (probably starting in 2023-24), we could still end up facing her if she signs with an SEC school.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Basham committed to Oregon today.

23. Jacob Johnson

They will have three players 6'7 and over. Definitely an interesting choice because competition will be tough for that center position

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

But speed kills and pressure burst pipes. :headbang:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I remember the twin towers. Will they be the triple towers? Towering triplets?

• Like Like x 3
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Based on Flau'jae's mother's Instagram (therealkiajb) story, Kim Mulkey and the entire LSU coaching staff were doing an in-home visit today.

Used to be that the head coach was only allowed one in-home visit with a prospective recruit; if that's still the case, today's an odd day for Mulkey to be doing the in-home since Flau'jae has not yet taken her official visit to LSU.

Guess we'll find out more in the upcoming weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  27. LutherIsMyDog

The same thing happened with the Texas in-home. Vic, Coach Phillips and Coach Jackson-Durrett visited Flau’jae at her home two weeks ago (the night before Flau’jae flew to Miami for her first official visit).

From watching the Reels of their visits to Miami and Texas, they seem to sincerely enjoy the recruiting process.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I had it in my head that our coaching staff made an in-home with verbal commitment, Jordana Codio; had forgotten they visited Flau'jae prior to her official visit.

• Like Like x 1
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

ESPN (Premier Basketball) updated their rankings yesterday and all 3 Texas commits dropped:
    • Ndjakalenga went from 29 to 33
    • Amina dropped from 53 to 62
    • Jordana from 59 to 66
    I'm not sweating it because it's obvious Vic knows which players will work in his system and have the character to play for him, just providing an FYI.

There are now 2 teams with 2 commits in the Top 10: UCONN and, of course, Oregon State.

I can't remember where they were exactly before the update but a few targets:
    • Littlepage-Buggs - #17
    • Flau'jae Johnson - #26
    • KK Bransford - #29
    It seems there are more wild swings in rankings since Premier Basketball took over.

• Like Like x 3
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Blurbs on players whose stock took off this past summer and Texas is in on:

G Flau'jae Johnson (2022)
    Sprayberry High School (Georgia)
    New espnW 100 ranking: 26
    Previous espnW 100 ranking: 55
    Uncommitted

Johnson has immense scoring talent thanks to her flair and style on the court. But she rose her game by focusing on the defensive end. She began to lock in and get down in a fundamental defensive stance and be aware of the off-ball nuances.

This allowed her to take her natural instincts for the ball and turn them into disruptive plays on defense. She can pressure the ball and also be a problem in the passing lane with her quick hands and anticipation -- which sometimes can lead to a bit of gambling for steals, but that is sometimes part of playmaking.

Offensively, she can create off the dribble with her handle and is adept at the pull-up jumper. She is a streaky 3-point shooter but can truly catch fire from deep. Her left hand could still use a little sharpening, though it has improved. Where once she was most engaged only when the ball was in her hands, she is now reading pin-downs and staggered screens well.

She has taken an official visit to Miami while Georgia, LSU, Texas and Ole Miss are also on her radar.

PG Hannah Hidalgo (2023)
    Paul VI High School (New Jersey)
    New espnW 60 ranking: 18
    Previous espnW 60 ranking: 40
    Uncommitted

Hidalgo is among the most competitive players in her class. Though she was snubbed from a USA U16 invite, she used her chance to play in front of college coaches and scouts to show off her array of floater and runner finishes. She can elevate and explode to the rim after she breaks down defenses with her footwork and exceptional handles. She also has the ability to knock down pull-up jumpers, and her 3-ball has range as well.

She is quick with or without the ball. Defensively, she is disruptive both on the ball and in passing lanes. This allows her to set the competitive tone for her team and control the pace of the game -- which, right now, she likes to be fast.

As her game matures and she manages her team as well in the half court as she does in transition, expect her stock to rise even more. She is working diligently on being more consistent from beyond the arc and improving her overall strength. Notre Dame, Louisville, Maryland, Penn State, Pitt, Arizona, Mississippi State, Boston College and Stanford are some of the schools actively recruiting Hidalgo.

• Like Like x 4