2022 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jul 28, 2018.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I believe the early signing period ended on Nov 17th. If so, DLB wouldn't be able to actually sign until the spring. That said, if she were truly convicted in where she is going I would have thought the signing would have taken place last week. Players can "commit " all they want but until they sign they are not bound. Wouldn't surprise me to see her commit to Baylor with the intention of sitting back to see how the season plays out for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Agree. The additional time would also allow her to see if A&M announces their new HC.

I believe she has one more official visit remaining. It would not surprise me if another school enters the picture and entices her to visit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  3. LutherIsMyDog

Well heck, Mendelson committed to Nebraska. It was probably due to several of the reasons as stated in @Moooooo’s post above. She’ll likely find being a dual sport athlete at Nebraska more conducive than at Texas.

Good luck to Maggie.

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was confident of our chances (mainly due to our hoops program) prior to that USA article linked the other day. After reading it, it made me realize that volleyball is her first love; and, of the four programs she was considering, she'd have the least chance of starting at Texas as a true freshman. Nebraska loses both starting middle blockers after this season, and Minnesota's two starting middle blockers are not doing well this season.

So, we still need depth at the post for 2022-23. Really hope Lauren Ebo is considering returning for her super-senior season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Quite honestly we don't need a jack of all trades, master of none. It's next to impossible to be top notch in 2 sports that overlap. I don't see this as a loss at all, just a scholarship we can use elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was gonna disagree with you prior to the loss at Tennessee. But, how we were outsized in the post just proves we could use Mendelson at Center next season since we have no one else at the position signed. So, we're not getting any better/deeper at Center as of now for 2022-23, and we definitely need to be.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. LutherIsMyDog

Jordana Codio has had a great start to her season. She looks good after recovering from knee surgery last year. Her height, athleticism and versatility will be a big boost to the team next year.

• Like Like x 7
  8. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I'm not ready to write off Femme. I am waiting to see how Moore, Lattimore, and Femme develop. Moore is physical. Lattimore is long and lean. Today, it was not just that Key was taller than Ebo. It was that Ebo had little help inside. The team needs someone besides Audrey (listed at 5'9) to play inside in addition to Ebo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm not writing off our current players, and those frontcourt players returning next season. But, only Femme plays the Center position; Moore and Lattimore are forwards and don't have the height AND muscle needed to play at the 5-position against posts like Key.

If Ebo doesn't return, we have one less Center. We know we're not getting Mendelson. So, how do we improve our depth at Center?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Transfer portal but I do think Ebo will return. I’ve noticed every time Vic talks about seniors he only mentions Audrey and Joanne. That could be an indication that Ebo will be coming back but even if she does I hope we go after another center in the portal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Transfer portal seems like such an easy answer; yet, we couldn't find another Center (tried with Cardoso) or tall guard/wing player (which seems like there would be many) this offseason.

Any time a true Center enters the transfer portal, the competition is fierce as everyone is going after them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I still don't see how Mendelson would help when she would still be playing VB. After that, she has to build BB muscle memory and get in sink with the rest of the team. She wouldn't be a significant contributor until close to the end of the season. I still think trying to get someone through the portal with experience is a better option. Vic did get Mathura and he just may get a C/PF, don't count him out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For one, I'm not sure any of us know what her plans for her freshman season would have been at Texas had she chosen us. Perhaps she would redshirt her freshman season in volleyball, and only play basketball. Considering she was going to be an a hoops scholarship, i doubt the plan was for her to only focus on volleyball in season one, and redshirt in basketball.

Bottom line is that according to Mendelson, all 4 schools were willing to allow her to play both sports; so, that includes Vic. I'm sure he had a plan for how she could help the program.

14. Jacob Johnson

Vid did say they could’ve gotten a couple players through the portal but he held off because, he didn’t want to get a grad transfer for one season and affect the development of the younger players who will be here in the long term. We tried to get Cardoso but she opted to go to South Carolina. She is probably the only player we really went hard for besides Matharu. They were probably waiting to see if Rickea Jackson and/or Jessika Carter to enter. With Gaston and Moore being more forward type players I could see Vic really pursue a true center this off-season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Oh man, if Vic had Cardosa, it'd be a whole 'nother ball game where she's the "forgiveness" player. Would have made a huge difference yesterday against Tennessee.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. LutherIsMyDog

PSA: This Saturday, Desoto (the #1 team in the nation) plays Montverde FL (the #3 team in the nation) at Hoopfest in Ft Worth at 5:00 CST. The game will be broadcast on ESPN +.

Most importantly, it will be an opportunity to watch two of our 2022 recruits in action as their respective teams face off against each other. Amina Muhammad (Desoto) and Jordana Codio (Montverde) will be on the court as opponents before they eventually meet up as TxWBB teammates after graduation.

Each team has multiple Div 1 scholarship players on the roster so it should be a competitive and entertaining game.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Jacob Johnson

And she’s not even playing that much at South Carolina!! Not like she should be but hey to each is own. She would’ve never come out the game had she come to Texas but can’t think too much of what could’ve been and focus on the players who are here and ready to take this team deep in the tournament :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She would have been a perfect fit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LutherIsMyDog

If my memory is correct, at the time Cardosa was visiting/selecting a school to attend, Vic was still looking for a post coach to fill Coach Johnnie’s position. So the timing was not ideal for her to select Texas.

Hopefully we’ll get another shot at a quality post/center via the transfer portal for next season.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Yeah - I looked up the box scores from South Carolina games this season and she's averaging 15 minutes per game (max of 18). Boston is just a junior so it's not like she's going to take over that spot next season - definitely a head scratcher for a player who could be a NPOY candidate. Some players are just content with being second fiddles I guess.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I still believe there was something unfortunate (for us) we don't know about Kamilla Cardoso's recruitment after she entered the transfer portal.

I forget if it was Vic and/or TexasWBB who were following her on twitter or IG (which they rarely do unless a player is coming to Texas), but when one of Texas' web graphics guys started following her, that all added up (n my flawed math) to her coming to Texas.

As mentioned above, things could have changed based on the assistant coaching hire (which took forever). Perhaps there was an agreement in place to hire an assistant coach with ties to Kamilla, and things changed prior to making the hire official.

Yes, a conspiracy theory for your Thanksgiving week! :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  22. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

any ideas on who’s he talking about?

23. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

From the wise words of Mr. Owl “the world may never know.” :e-face-tears:

• Like Like x 1
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Best guess? 2023 W Madison Booker - Ridgeland, MS (#6 overall)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If you don’t mind me asking, where was that game time posted? I checked the Dickies website and it says 7:00 PM.

2021.11.27-Hoopfest - Dickies Arena

Dickies is about a 10 minute drive from home so I’m going to try to attend.

• Like Like x 1
  26. LutherIsMyDog

It was tricky as the start time varied depending upon the source. I concluded that it was 5:00 CST based upon the schedule posted on the Desoto GBB website. I'm still not 100% certain that 5:00 is the correct time.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  27. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I went to the ESPN+ website for more information - that was fruitless. It looks like they are not publishing a schedule past Wednesday (I think...). They either want to keep their options open, or need a new webmaster. If it's the latter I would be willing to raise my monthly subscription from $5 to $6.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. LutherIsMyDog

By the way, if you end up attending the game (or streaming it) can you provide your feedback on the game? My family is visiting from out of town and I won't be able to watch it. There are so many high ranked players in that game it would be great to get a report on the players as well as two of the top teams in the nation.

• Like Like x 1
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Lety Vasconcelos isn’t suited up so won’t get to see her in person - bit of a disappointment.

Vic and April Phillips just walked in.

• Like Like x 2