2022 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

There was a tweet several weeks ago that Ashlon Jackson would have some kind of update to share in mid-September; but, don't think anything ever came of that. She is the top guard/wing in the state.

UConn was her childhood favorite. Baylor fans believe she now wants to stay closer to home and that they are in strong position to land her verbal commitment. Not sure how us landing two guards for 2021 will affect her decision (if at all). She did retweet Kyndall's verbal commitment tweet on Sunday, so that's a positive in my eyes.

Seems like we've also offered a couple of out-of-state "big guards" like Ashlon. So, although the priority for 2022 is the front court, sounds like the staff wants another guard or two, as well.

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don't know if Rori or Kyndall's commitments would really impact any big guards. At 5' 6" and 5' 8" respectively, I see them as PGs/combo PG-SG whereas larger guards can get on the floor along with them as SG-Wings (a la Celeste).

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It's just that come 2022, for example, if BOTH Rori and Kyndall have cemented starting spots and are playing 32+ minutes a game, that doesn't leave a lot of minutes for a third guard at the SG spot, especially a freshman who has visions of being a starter. Now, if they have the size and skills to play W/SF, then that might be their spot.

Regardless, you recruit the best in the state unless/until they tell you "no".

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Since we have 5 juniors I will be doing top 5 based on these offers and who I see us having a chance to land based on coming in and playing immediately or where we need the most depth. No particular order ....
    1) Kennedy Basham
    2) KK Brantford
    3) Ayanna Patterson
    4) Kirsten Johnston
    5) Ashlon Jackson
    Now of course you have Smith and Muhammad but I think Smith is a Baylor lock. The top 5 I listed will give us depth where we need the most and those players are easily a college starting 5 lineup. If we can get 3 of those 5 than we will have a great class.

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Can anyone Copy-Paste from this page? My right click is disabled on my mouse (PC) and my phone won't highlight any text - I assume the keeper of the blog did this.

I'd ignore anyone with an offer extended in 2018 or 2019 unless it's been verified that the new coaching staff has re-offered which leaves us with:
    • KK Bransford - 'big' Guard
    • Kennedy Basham - C
    • Ashlon Jackson - 'big' Guard
    • Kiersten Johnson - W/SF
    • Ta'Niya Latson - G
    • Brianna McDaniel - 'big' Guard
    • Amina Muhammad - PF
    • Ayana Patterson - W/SF
    • Sa'Myah Smith - F
    I miss anyone?

Any player designated as a guard who's 5' 10"+ got the 'big' note. I'll feel a bit better once a few more PFs and Centers are added to this list. Ayanna Patterson is a long shot but after seeing a few videos of her, I honestly think she could guard 1-5 even though ESPN lists her as a Wing. Crazy athletic and long at 6' 3" - more than a couple of videos of her dunking two-handed.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I might change my optimism once the season starts and our team plays games coached by the new coaching staff, but i just don't see us landing any of those elite out-of-state prospects. Competition against the usual Elite 8 programs will be tough, no doubt. Of course, if some prospects have connections to UT (family), or to our coaches, then those would be exceptions. If we we win at a high level this coming season, then that will grab their attention.

So, I'm just gonna focus on the in-state prospects for now as the state of Texas is loaded with talent, and I think we'll land our share. Not sure if unofficial visits are even allowed right now; will be a while until 2022 recruits are allowed to take official visits (if at all due to the pandemic). So, we could end up having an additional advantage with the in-state kids due simply to familiarity as many have camped with us in the past.

7. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

No visits for the rest of the calendar year, at least. "The NCAA revealed another update to its recruiting dead period on Wednesday. The NCAA has extended the Division I Recruiting Dead Period until Jan. 1, 2021. That means there can be no on-campus or off-campus contacts, no on-campus or off-campus evaluations, no involvement in camps or clinics and no official or unofficial visits through the end of the calendar year. However, general correspondence, including emails, text messages and phone calls will be permitted." NCAA extends D-I recruiting dead period through Dec. 31.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

It is hard for me to have many ideas about recruiting at all right now. The team has so many new players. I am anxious to see how the current players fit together, how good they can be, and what roles players take on the floor. Will Texas have Ebo in 2022? That depends on whether she is eligible this year or not. How much potential does P Johnson really have? Will she be a serious player by her junior year in 2022? It seems certain that Texas needs an elite player capable of playing down low by 2022. If Ebo is gone and Johnson is not a capable center, the need is more immediate. In contrast, the guard and wing positions seem well covered through the 2022/2023 season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

The site has blocked the right click to prevent copying...

10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Assumed as much...had to revert to the original copy-paste: eyes and keyboard.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jacob Johnson

Basham I do believe should be our top priority for out of state recruits. We absolutely need a big for the 2022 class and she is a big who can easily be developed into a banger downlow and it helps she can shoot the three ball as well.

12. Jacob Johnson

I don't know, It's an entirely new coaching staff. Aston had a good run with recruiting but you can tell it was slipping. Johnson and Routt were late additions just to add depth when needed. Coach Schaefer and his staff are easily one of the best in the country and it's going to be much easier for them to sell the University of Texas than the previous staff and they also did well until recently so just imagine the talent that he will attract. I do honestly feel we have the chance to offer big time out of state recruits and be serious contenders to get them. Coach Schaefer's record speaks for itself so fully expect the recruiting to get back to one of the best in the country.

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We were pretty late in offering Basham compared to other programs. While I understand Coach Schaeffer doesn't extend offers quickly, when the other top programs around the country had already offered this Top 30 national recruit, a program like Texas that is trying to resurrect itself doesn't put itself in prime position to land a top national out-of-state prospect when it's late to the party.

14. Jacob Johnson

We
    We weren't really that late. Arizona offered in 2018 and she had offers in 2019 but no top level teams. She began to get top offers in 2020. Oregon was the first top ranked team to offer in 2020 which was in April. Florida, Louisville, North Carolina came in June and Ucla in July and we came in August so it's not that big of a difference. Only 4 months which really puts us in the same boat and a great amount of time to build a relationship with her.

15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Unless I missed something, it doesn’t seem Texas is in the mix for Carleigh Wenzel. Coaches that have ‘liked’ this include Arkansas, UCLA, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Iowa State and a few others - no Texas coaches.

16. Jacob Johnson

I don't think the new staff gave her an offer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Basham did a podcast a few days ago and Texas was not among the schools recruiting her hardest [though a lot could change between now and the next six-nine months].

Ashlon Jackson has some strong ties to Texas [played AAU with Gaston and appears to know Collier pretty well], but may be a tough pull from Baylor.

I think we may be recruiting Kyla Oldacre, a 6-5 post from Ohio. She seems like a Vic-type recruit. A post and a wing should be the top two priorities.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Gave you the Like for the Oldacre info - not a fan of the rest. :)

Looks like you're spot on regarding Oldacre: Johnnie Harris, Dionnah Jackson-Durrett and Elena Lovato all follow her on Twitter. She visited South Carolina in early March before the pandemic shut everything down.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  19. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

having seen her play quite a bit, sportsmanship/attitude/body language has always been a question mark for me. Not sure if/how that may have factored in the coaching staffs recruitment (or lack thereof) her.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jacob Johnson

Yeah she is not the type of player coach Schaefer recruits. He goes after the aggressive guards who can score and handle the ball very well exactly like Harmon and Hunter. Also probably why Bradley decommitted and Palmer left. Him and Coach Dawn Staley have a very similar approach when it comes to recruiting so although she is a good player she just doesn't fit with the new system.

21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

First DeSoto player, PG Michayla Gatewood, to verbally commit has chosen Texas Tech; our former staff had offered her

22. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

#35 in ESPN’s current rankings, #5 Wing.

Scouting report from an August 2019 event:
    “Athletic perimeter prospect with versatility; quick-leaper, pounds the glass, rebounds and handles in transition game; fluid In mid-range game, rises over the defense with feathery touch; emerging perimeter game at the arc; explosive in the key.”

• Like Like x 4
  24. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Year after year it seems like the elite recruits in the state of Texas are mostly found in the Houston or DFW areas, not surprisingly. Seems like DFW had the elite 2020 kids (Gusters, Andrews, Kelly, etc.), while Houston had them in 2021 (Harmon, Hunter, Malone). For 2022, it's the DFW area thanks mainly to DeSoto high school.

While we are competing against schools from all over the country for the elite recruits in our state, we all know that we will mostly be competing against Baylor for those recruits who want to attend college in Texas.

I noticed something interesting when comparing the current rosters for Texas and Baylor. BU has 5 players from the DFW area (Gusters, Andrews, Jordyn Oliver, Trinity Oliver, and Jaden Owens), and only one from the Houston area (Queen Egbo). Conversely, Texas has 5 players from the Houston area (Charli, Joanne, DeYona, Elyssa and Precious), and only one player from the DFW area (Audrey).

For 2021, Texas adds two more players from the Houston area. So, we are up to 7 players from the Houston area. Not sure if that's surprising in itself, but when you see that we only have 1 player from the DFW area (and Audrey was actually from Missouri before she moved to the DFW area for her last 2 years of high school), it's quite troubling.

When we landed Joyner Holmes and Jada Underwood from the DFW area for the class of 2016, I really thought it would pay dividends with future recruiting in the metroplex. I was wrong; it did not. We have to do better there and become a recruiting presence; and, it has to start with the 2022 class.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Not surprising, a lot of it has to do with proximity. And it became less of a surprise when Texas basically became a Cy-Fair program under coach Aston. And it's obviously still one with the commits that we have.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

On the other hand, if our Houston-area players like Deyona, Rori, and Kyndall help us land another in Ashlon Jackson, then what do I know?
    :shrug:

29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

KK Bransford fell all the way from #9 to #27 and, IIRC, DeSoto’s Sa’Myah Smith and Amina Muhammad were in the teens and are now in the 40s. Kyla Oldacre leaped to #17.