2022 Softball Season

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Malcom, Jun 5, 2021.

1. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

I'm not sure Mike White is the answer but for sure think he needs more time to recruit. He has grabbed some gems in the next 2 classes so we shall see if that starts to turn the tide some.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Wooohooo!

Sat. Horns take a 4 - 0 lead into the 7th!!!!

Will be first loss of season for ou!!!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  3. WorsterMan

Cat Osterman Day no less !

• Like Like x 1
  4. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Thought he had us over the hump in 20' . Then covid. Gotta give him a couple more years. Don't recall his Oregon teams having such putrid fielding.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WorsterMan

Horns win 4-2..... and ou win streak ends!!!

Time to sing The Eyes!:hookem:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  6. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I’m so proud:yippee: offense came to play along with our pitching and when that happens we beat the best team in the country and one of the best teams in ncaa history. Dolcini was just amazing in both games and will definitely have to pull an Elish and be our workhorse in the post season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I could watch this over and over and over!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  9. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  10. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Unbelievable!!!

• Like Like x 7
  11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

:yippee::yippee::fiestanana:Texas Wins!!!:fiestanana::yippee:

:ousucks::ousucksnana::ousucks::ousucksnana:

You can't give Texas enough credit for taking away ou's feet.

And you certainly can't give Dolcini enough credit for 2 hitting the best offense in the nation.
    :ousucks::ousucksnana::ousucks::ousucksnana:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Official attendance was 1698 noted in the box score!

• Like Like x 3
  13. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

Loved this game. Timely hitting is what it takes to beat the best. Wish it could of been a shut out but loved taking the egos of the whole OU team down a notch.

• Like Like x 4
  14. WorsterMan

Crowd was rowdy and loud as they should be! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

After watching and replaying the last 2 innings, some thoughts:
    1. You know when Gasso came out and protested that Gilbert was out of the box when she hit that slap ball? On replay, she was out of the box. In fact, she stepped on home plate as she was hitting the ball! Yikes! And OU didn't ask for a review? I thought that the umps decided that the box was too erased to even review. But on replay, OMG, her toe is actually on home plate as she's hitting the ball.
    2. I purposely told myself NOT to diss Mary as she was coming up for her at-bat in the 5th inning. I said, "This is the part where you groan about her choking in key games and then she wins it for us." And sure enough, a hit where it was needed.
    3. I was wondering if it was a mistake for Gasso to purposely walk Jenae and load the bases, and then I was reminded that Scott was 0-3 until that point. Clutch.
    4. Watching the pure giddiness of Mike White bounding out of the dugout was worth replaying over and over.
    5. Gasso's between innings comments in her interview about the "heat and the humidity". Humidity yes, heat? How cool is it in Norman right now?
    6. I couldn't make the game because of the number of tickets we needed, so I was actively texting my wife during the game. I noted that Dolcini was in the 70's in pitches while Bahl was in the 115+ range. I think I knew then we might make it.
    7. LHN said that the first run Texas made was an unearned run for OU. Okay, Day hits and gets on base. Gilbert goes in to run for her. Scott is next and third base muffs the ball and Scott gets onto 1st on an error. No hit for Scott, but when Mary hits a fly into the outfield and Gilbert comes in, that was on a Day hit so why is it unearned? If Scott came in, it would be unearned, right? The archaic softball rules to preserve pitcher's stats confound me sometimes.
    8. Dolcini's comments after the game was that the screwball was the key to improving her game from last year. Did she get tutelage on the screwball from Mike White? I ask because many pitchers have said they came to Texas because of Mike White's pitching coaching.
    9. I'm very surprised that Gasso didn't put in Trautwein. She had our number yesterday.
    10. If it weren't for all the LHN discussion about Bahl's pacing and staring at the hitters I would think she was a jerk. But...I guess I understand it's not about you, it's about her?
    11. I wish we could get 2 years out of these diamond in the rough transfer pitchers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

If the Scott error would have been the third out any runs that score the rest of the innings are now unearned; dont remember if that was the case though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Went and looked at the replay and there was one out when Scott made it to first on the error. Google shows me:
    The run is unearned if:
    3. the runner who scored had initially reached 1st base on an error, or defensive interference/obstruction.
    4. the runner who scored, when at bat would have been out had it not been for a dropped foul ball.
    5. the runner who scored had her baserunning life prolonged by an error and otherwise would have been put out had it not been for the error.
    6. the runner who scored had advanced by a passed ball or defensive interference, and otherwise would not have scored.
    7. When reconstructing the inning to determine which runs are earned, a relief pitcher does NOT receive the benefit of previous chances for outs for the runners she put on base.

In theory everyone who scores after the error with Scott's ball is unearned? Or, maybe the LHN guy just misspoke.

Sorry to be obsessive. I don't know the weird rules of baseball/softball statistics and just wondered....why?

• Like Like x 1
  18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Took a look at the schedule. Is this one of the toughest schedules in college softball in terms of OOC games? Hopefully Texas can beat the ranked teams in the tourney to get to the World Series.

20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Google shows you to be correct. We have the #2 SoSchedule while LSU has #1
    Massey Ratings - College Softball : NCAA D1 Ratings
    Looks like we won't be hosting a regional in Austin this year. If this coulda/woulda/shoulda been the year we were skipped for a Clearwater invitation......ahhh well.

21. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Hosting a regional is still possible. But a super would be HIGHLY unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

As proud as I am of Texas Softball after that incredible game yesterday I can't help but think of how talented all of our women's athletic teams are. The support all this weekend was amazing. To see Cat honored brought back so many good memories. I'm so glad that all of our womens sport teams are getting the attention they all deserve. Lets keep it going...:bevo:

• Like Like x 5
  23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Thinking this over, I think you're right about hosting a regional. This year just started off so badly that I had written off Austin as a hosting site.

Looking at the NCAA RPI link: DI Softball Rankings - NCAA Women's Softball RPI | NCAA.com

Texas is 15th, and this shows us as 30-11, which means that it doesn't include the Friday loss and Saturday win, which is kinda a wash.

My prediction is that we sweep Baylor and Tech and we....go 2-1(?) against OSU. Or if we go 1-2 against OSU I think we'll hover between 14-16 on the RPI list and that should qualify for hosting.

Also, the addition of bleachers as well as the recent surge in attendance numbers may please the NCAA. Funny, near the end of the year you see a woman wearing her baby blue NCAA polo and a clipboard as she makes notes about the stadium and how it's run during a game. I don't recall seeing an NCAA rep the last couple of games. But, I had to miss Thu/Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
  24. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Taking into the results over the weekend for Texas and all other teams, Texas has moved up to #13 in the NCAA RPI.

Wheeee!

• Like Like x 3
  25. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

I hope we can win 2 of 3 from Ok State and try to get in the 11 12 range of hosting. Want to avoid being paired with Sooners, Bama, and Virginia Tech. Everyone else I think we have a better shot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Can't believe we're missing the offensive fireworks because LHN won't cut away from baseball

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was wondering if the team would be suffering from a victory hangover after the OU game. Pitching looked sharp, for all of 2 innings and then the bottom dropped out. Just like in the 2nd OU game, Simpson looked crisp on the 1st inning, only to self-implode in the second inning. Skipping balls?

And Czech running out of steam after 2 1/3 innings?

I think Dolcini will have to pitch the first and third game of a series and a patchwork of Czech & Simpson will have to get us through the second game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Patty Gasso was classy with her comments after their loss to Texas! She gave full credit to the Longhorns for the victory and to Dolcini, but she did't refer to Dolcini by name. Only as "the Texas pitcher". We proved ou can be beaten and I'm not so sure they win it all again this year.
    What Patty Gasso Said After the Texas Loss

• Like Like x 1
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I was watching the replay on LHN after all the handshakes and watched Mike stop at Patty and they had an extended talk. I wish I could read lips. She had the typical Patty smile on her face and it seemed like she was something along the lines to Mike, "Well, yeah. This was bound to happen....". Then the camera cut away.

I told my wife that Gasso, although our biggest foe, was always classy towards us. She said, "Ummm, I remember a couple of times she did things to us in games I'm not to sure of"

And then, there's OU softball (fan) twitter. Whew! That was condescending and whiny. I wanted to tweet at them:

"What happened to your grape harvest? Did they turn sour because of snowflakes on your crop?"

But then, that's the negative about twitter, then ensuing poo-flinging.

30. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone know where we can watch 1st game of OKst series tonight?