2022 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Dec 13, 2021.

1. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Hunter will play quite a bit this year primarily for 2 reasons. The first being that Vic just has no choice since she is currently the only backup PG we have and the team only has 4 guards in total as things stand today.

Secondly, I expect her to be better just by virtue of another year/offseason of experience. All of you who are able, I encourage you to go watch what few clips there are from JAT and Audrey as freshman…….if you don’t remember, let me remind you that they were awful lol. She’s right where she needs to be at this stage in her career

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Okay, back to actual transfer discussion.

The available transfer currently highest on my wish list is former Georgia PG and San Antonio native, Gabby Connally. She can play PG, shoot the three, and as a 5th-year senior, I certainly hope she has good defensive skills; she certainly looks to have quickness.

Hopefully, she's on our radar, and vice verse.

• Like Like x 3
  3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Since Gabby wants a job with the Secret Service, she just might be available next season. Those jobs are like chikens teeth. Perhaps she can get her foot in the door. Maybe an alternative would be some of ya’ll on this forum with lots of money, get her a NIL job as a CIA agent undermining recruiting of those schools working on Cunningham. Gabby is the sort of one-year back-up point guard that is needed.

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If she's actually been in San Antonio the last year, that could be to our benefit

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

It’s Arizona (for now).

• Like Like x 1
  6. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

:e-thinking: Would love to know the backstory of Esmery signing with LSU and then signing with AZ a few weeks later.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'd like to know the backstory of Esmery signing with Texas like 3 years ago, being added to our official roster, and then ending up at West Virginia. Looks like she's become an expert at this! Bait and switch? :p

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Better 'Zona than LSU with Kim. Kind of slows down Mulkey's rebuild train in Baton Rouge . . . :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. LutherIsMyDog

My memory is foggy, didn't she also sign with Mississippi State in between signing with Texas and later, West Virginia?

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She signed her LOI out of high school with Vic and Miss. State. Then, she was released from her LOI (some think it was because oversigned) by MSU. She ended up signing an Athletic Scholarship Agreement (ASA) with Texas.

Apparently, only the LOI binds a student-athlete to a school and vice verse. And ASA only binds the school to the student-athlete, but not the student-athlete to the school; think that was the same situation with Harvard transfer, Katie Benzan signing an ASA with Texas, but then ending up at Maryland.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She was going to Mississippi State first, then changed and committed to Texas, and ended up at WVU.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Looks like she went to school right down the road from where I live. Her stats over a 4 year career are excellent, as are her highlight vids. Looks like she didn't play this last season, probably so she could do the internship. She played Vic's MSU bunch 6 times during her first 3 seasons, so she would be pretty familiar with his teams already. Question is whether we have even reached out to her. There's still a ton of players in the portal, but there's no way of knowing who we are in contact with. But this one looks like a real player for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Read an article that stated Connally played on the same summer club as Kyra Lambert; so, that's a good Texas connection for us. Without knowing Connally's criteria in finding a grad school to continue her education, I would think her familiarity with Joni Taylor could put A&M in the driver's seat; but, I don't think they currently have an open 'ship; I could be wrong, or that could obviously change between now and when Gabby is ready to make a final decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Not necessarily. IMO, all this does is open up a spot for Reese. I don't care how much she wants to play on the perimeter, she's a natural PF.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As long as both Reese and Martinez aren't at LSU this coming season, I'm happy about it. That would have been a lot of rebounding ability for them, regardless of the position each actually plays.

16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

One of those players wouldn't have gotten enough playing time to impact rebounding because they play the same position. It's basically the same for her at Arizona with them returning really good front court players in Reese and Ware. There's only but so many minutes in a game, so somebody has to sit the bench.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Seems crazy for a school (or any party to a contract, for that matter) to sign an agreement that is binding on them, but not the other party. I guess this is maybe what LSU did with her? If that is the case, I don't see how a coach would have any certainty that they could shut recruiting down at a particular position. Seems like you'd only take an athlete who is willing to sign a binding LOI rather than the non-binding ASA.

18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

She couldn’t sign LOIs with Texas or LSU - outside of the signing period. Vic released her from her LOI with MSU. As mentioned before, Financial aid agreements are just the school saying they have a scholarship, no real commitment from the athlete until they attend their first class.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Anyone want to guess the amount of stink-eye Mulkey gives Barnes next time they cross paths?

20. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

So when is the next signing period (or is there one at all for portal jumpers)? Because if there is no real commitment from the athlete until they attend their first class, then we haven't even seen the craziest part of NIL yet. That means everyone who portaled out and "signed" can change their mind and "sign" with someone else who offers better NIL money before they attend their first class. That's a lot of time for more chaos to ensue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ugh.

• Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  22. LutherIsMyDog

@kurupt was correct with forecasting Reese to LSU. The addition of Reese with the other transfers and the addition of Flaujae will make LSU one of the toughest teams in the SEC and nationally (assuming the team chemistry good).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  23. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Eh. As I stated before, glad she didn't also land Esmery Martinez in addition to Reese. And, definitely glad Baylor didn't land Reese (as some of their deluded fans thought was a possibility).

Better that these transfers spread out among different teams, IMO. Unless they're coming to Texas, of course.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
  25. utfannforlife

LSU will be talented but not as good as last year IMO. They had a ton of EXPERIENCE and chemistry. Those two things will be lacking a bit this season

26. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Definitely impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

April Phillips doing her part to empty the portal a bit. I think Semaj Smith, Arizona center, was the only one mentioned previously in this thread.

28. utfannforlife

April has build a solid roster that should allow them to be much more competitive in the Mountain West

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  30. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Tasha Lattimore did a little tease on an instagram story today in a Baylor T-shirt. Also from something I saw several days ago it sounds like she plans to announce a decision around June 1

• Dislike Dislike x 8