2022 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Dec 13, 2021.

1. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Sorry, not sorry. That’s just gross.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I think it was just a tease (hopefully) to create content as they say

• Like Like x 1
  3. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Looks like she is in Toronto at Royal Crown Academic School (was that her high school)? Maybe she just happened to be wearing the BU T-shirt in that one tiktok video she posted on her stories. I assume they gave her one on her visit last year before she committed to the good guys. I noticed she has still been wearing a lot of longhorn gear in recent days too. From what I can tell, she is pretty close to Matharu and Rori. So I'd be pretty shocked if Waco was where she ended up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It certainly wouldn't be a surprise, seeing that it was one of the schools she was considering before. But it would be in terms of playing time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Why can't she post that she checked out the landscape of schools and realized Texas was the best place for her....(wishful thinking)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Baylor will be trending downward in the coming seasons, they’ll be finishing 3rd or worse before too long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Brenda Freese, referencing Mimi Collins who started at Tennessee, has now transferred to NC Stare

Virginia Tech just got another outstanding transfer, they are really building something in Blacksburg

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Taylor Soule to Va Tech. With the addition of Soule and Owusu, Va Tech should be a team on the rise next season.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Since we are well past the end of last season and most of the big names have found new homes, anyone want to take a guess at who is left from the portal that Vic might be looking at? The only name I recall from this board is Khadija Faye, who I really like, but I can't find any information on where she may even be visiting. We've got a few important spots to fill (especially with the schedule we are going to have this year) and it doesn't seem like anything is happening.

10. LutherIsMyDog

Destiny Littleton is headed closer to home to the USC on the west coast. Back to Cali.

11. LutherIsMyDog

Admittedly, I’ve been lulled to sleep with the lack of news with recruiting and the coaching hires. I had forgotten about Faye. It may have already been reported in this thread but she is following and being followed on IG by the trifecta of Vic, Blair and Elena. So, maybe it’s a possibility?
    :shrug:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, Vic (maybe Blair too) started following Khadijah very early, even before most knew she had entered the transfer portal; he has followed no one else on Instagram but her. On her twitter, seems like she's received recent follows from assistant coaches at programs like Syracuse, Vanderbilt, UT-Chattanooga, Virginia, Saint Louis, etc. She hasn't posted anything on IG or twitter that she's been making any other visits, or followed any coaches that I could notice. Our summer sessions begins on June 2, so would love for her to surprise us by joining our program an enrolling in classes in a couple of weeks.

We know that Vic brought in Rickea Jackson and Lauren Fields for official visits; that tells me he wants more punch at the W/SF spot for this coming season. Not sure who else is out there to target (other than potentially Wake Forest's Jewel Spear if she decides to enter the transfer portal due to her head coach being terminated earlier this week).

Still keeping an eye on Georgia grad-transfer PG, Gabby Connally out of San Antonio. I think she could really help us playing minutes at both guard spots; have no idea what she is looking for in a new team, but at least we have proximity on our side.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Since we're left scouring the web for clues (or even just wishful thinking), someone mentioned Ahlise Hurst from Oregon earlier in this thread. Its no secret that Rori and Ahlise have been inseparable lately. Ahlise has used 4 years of eligibility and is not in the portal to my knowledge. She's still listed on Oregon's roster, but I believe she'd be a grad student so she wouldn't need the portal or to seek a waiver. She is one helluva shooter (over 1000 pts in her career). Wonder if she is a possibility? It looks like she's spent a lot of time on campus with Rori in the last month or so. Here's a friendly game of Pig from the end of the season:

• Like Like x 4
    • poop poop x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Every student-athlete in every sport has to enter the transfer portal if they want to use remaining eligibility at a different school, even grad transfers. Morgan O'Brien enrolled at Texas for grad school after completing her undergraduate degree at Illinois, and had every intention of retiring from volleyball. Texas approached her about joining the volleyball program, and the first thing she had to do was enter the transfer portal.

Since Hurst already transferred once from New Mexico to Oregon, she would definitely need a waiver.

Ahlise Hurst - Women's Basketball - University of Oregon Athletics (goducks.com)

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I had never thought of it before, but I don't know how receptive a head coach would be to bringing in a current player's significant other to join the program. If they ended up having personal issues in their relationship, it could end up having a negative impact on the entire team.

As for Hurst, her IG indicates she is heading back to Australia soon and won return until July. Seems like she has every intention to complete her eligibility at Oregon this coming season.

16. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

WVU gets a nice pickup

alabama returns all five starters and has now signed quite a few good players thru the portal

hoping we aren’t done yet

17. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I just think it's cool that we now live in a climate where these youngsters can feel free to express love. Coming into adulthood, getting accustomed to college life with the balancing of athletics and academics, and other social issues are enough to take on without having to worry about whether one's personal love life is accepted or not.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It sure seems like she was/is in Austin based on that IG story. A dead period starts on Thursday. So, if she is visiting Texas, it would conclude tomorrow at the latest.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Texashorns2022

• Hot Hot x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I get it. People are hungry for some new news, with the expectation that a transfer-in would automatically improve the roster.

But nobody wants just another body to take up roster space and not see the floor.

I for one am not capable of evaluating which portal entries fit Vic's style and work ethic to a T. Fortunately we pay Vic for that, so I adopt the attitude that we are set for 22/23 until Texas announces otherwise. Especially at this late date.

That said, I appreciate all of you who keep the Board updated on who is available. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Great detective work! Have no idea how you stumbled on this, but appreciate you sharing it with us.

Texas' Spring Summer session begins June 2. So, I'm optimistic with our chances considering she's visiting us right before the beginning on another recruiting dead period on Thursday.

Sonya Morris - WOMEN'S BASKETBALL - DePaul University Athletics (depaulbluedemons.com)

• Like Like x 2
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

This would be a nice get for us if it came to fruition.

26. Texashorns2022

• Hot Hot x 1
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. LutherIsMyDog

For those of you, like me, that know little about Morris, she would be a boost our offensive productivity. Morris was a finalist for the Ann Meyers Drysdale award for the best two-guard in NCAA Div I Womens Basketball. Here's an excerpt from the article;

"Morris is an All-BIG EAST First Team selection after averaging 17.9 points a game this season. She has DePaul's second and third-highest scoring games with 36 points against Vanderbilt in the Paradise Jam (U.S. Virgin Islands) and 35 at St. John's.

The sharpshooter from St. Louis has scored in double figures 29 of DePaul's 32 games including 17 of the last 18. The senior with an explosive scoring touch is a big reason why the Blue Demons lead the nation in scoring at 88.3 points per game.

Morris is eighth in the country in field goals and No. 12 in field goal attempts. She has scored 20 or more points 11 times."

The 5 nominees were considered to be the five-best shooting guards in the country last season. Along with Morris, the list included Kierstan Bell (Florida Gulf Coast), Christyn Williams (Connecticut), Taylor Mikesell (Ohio State) and Taylor Robertson (Oklahoma). Williams ended up winning the award.

Sonya Morris Among Five National Finalists for Ann Meyers Drysdale Award - DePaul University Athletics (depaulbluedemons.com)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She would be a huge boost to our scoring that would force defenses to guard all of our perimeter players closely. That would create some nice room for our post players down low. She's also really active all over the floor (defensively, rebounding, etc.).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

In one of the interviews during the coaches tour, Schaefer talked about the disappointment with not making it to Final Four. He said that he had the team that was good enough but……”we just couldn’t score” in fourth quarter against Stanford. Matharu scored 0 points in that game. Morris might give Horns that other option that would keep defenses from focusing on stopping Matharu. We need that big, scoring guard with experience. Our freshmen might take some time to give us that, whereas Morris would immediately do so. Hope she joins the good guys.

• Agree Agree x 6